·
Registered
346 Posts
One tip I've heard associated with this sticking in gear problem is to always
shift _UP_, and not down following a missed shift (where the bike pops into a
false nuetral state). This probably won't help you if you have a mis-adjusted
shift mechanism (under the side cover) or a faulty return spring, but on an
otherwise healthy motorcycle, there are incidents where a missed shift followed
by a quick downshift to a lower gear led to the mechanism jamming. FWIW.

I mentioned this issue to a Ducati service manager (digging for inside info) and
implied that it was a design flaw, and he responded that Ducati had been using
the same design on multiple engines for years without problems. So maybe they
lost the critical assembly process "recipe" for some period? Untrained personnel?
Bad lot of parts? Hmmmm... ANY problems with a tranny make a huge
difference in customer satisfaction on a vehicle... hero to zero in nothing flat.
I hope they (at Ducati) have taken these failures seriously.

·
Registered
441 Posts
One tip I've heard associated with this sticking in gear problem is to always
shift _UP_, and not down following a missed shift (where the bike pops into a
false nuetral state). This probably won't help you if you have a mis-adjusted
shift mechanism (under the side cover) or a faulty return spring, but on an
otherwise healthy motorcycle, there are incidents where a missed shift followed
by a quick downshift to a lower gear led to the mechanism jamming. FWIW.

I mentioned this issue to a Ducati service manager (digging for inside info) and
implied that it was a design flaw, and he responded that Ducati had been using
the same design on multiple engines for years without problems. So maybe they
lost the critical assembly process "recipe" for some period? Untrained personnel?
Bad lot of parts? Hmmmm... ANY problems with a tranny make a huge
difference in customer satisfaction on a vehicle... hero to zero in nothing flat.
I hope they (at Ducati) have taken these failures seriously.
Ducati have been aware of this problem for a long time, a recall should be issued instead of waiting for pissed off customers too have the problem appear:confused:
They really know how to make their customers happy:p

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I believe they have a service bulletin out, from my understanding.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I believe they have a service bulletin out, from my understanding.
Its funny that I got involved with this thread, the next day my bike got stuck in gear again:eek:
Its had the replacement kit installed allready, the dealer is in for a load of shit:mad:
I managed to un stuck it with a rock on the side of the road:D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I am stuck in gear again!!!! This makes three times, 700 miles, 1700 miles, and now 7,770 miles. I think the next time I reach 7 as the second #, I will put it on the stand and run it to 8 something.

Has anyone had any luck with unjamming a gear without taking it to the dealer? It is the beginning of the riding season here in PA and I don't want the dealer to have it for several weeks.

I beleive I am in 4th gear this time. The first two times was in 3rd gear. I can get to 70 mph at 5k rpm's

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Always happened to me on track days while downshifting. My new-found wrench had me lower the shift-lever quite a bit, apparently I was stomping a bit too hard on it and that could have contributed.
Being a former MXer I ran the lever a bit high.
Like i just posted on another thread, a second hand part off a salvaged Monster did the trick.
Good luck with your dealers, mine didn't seem to know [email protected]*&t

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The problem I am having is a bit different than yours. Each time the lever can't be un-stuck without removing parts. Mine also happens during downshifts. If I move the lever downward any more, I will not be able to fit boots underneath the lever.

·
Registered
19 Posts
they were supposed to have fixed it

I have over 8000 miles on my 2008 Hyper. Around 6500 miles the foot lever got stuck, in 3rd gear, in the down position.

It freed itself the first time while I was on my way to the dealership. They looked it over, and because it appeared okay, they sent me on my way.

About 200 miles later same thing-only this time it didn't free itself.

So, it went to the dealership...... under warranty... and they 'fixed' it by replacing:timing gears,gearbox pawl ret.engine kit, some misc other stuff.

Well 130 miles later it stuck, unstuck, and stuck again while I was trying to get it back to the house.

What do I need to know before the dealership opens Tuesday. I am frustrated.

All Input Will be Appreciated,

Dianne

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have over 8000 miles on my 2008 Hyper. Around 6500 miles the foot lever got stuck, in 3rd gear, in the down position.

It freed itself the first time while I was on my way to the dealership. They looked it over, and because it appeared okay, they sent me on my way.

About 200 miles later same thing-only this time it didn't free itself.

So, it went to the dealership...... under warranty... and they 'fixed' it by replacing:timing gears,gearbox pawl ret.engine kit, some misc other stuff.

Well 130 miles later it stuck, unstuck, and stuck again while I was trying to get it back to the house.

What do I need to know before the dealership opens Tuesday. I am frustrated.

All Input Will be Appreciated,

Dianne
Make absolutely certain Your shift linkage is adjusted to form a 90 degree angle with the post. I had shifting problems when the linkage was not adjusted this way.

If that does not work, perhaps the dealer installed the gearbox prawl kit incorrectly. I had the same thing done under warranty, and I have not had a problem since... Should have been the fix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Make absolutely certain Your shift linkage is adjusted to form a 90 degree angle with the post. I had shifting problems when the linkage was not adjusted this way.

If that does not work, perhaps the dealer installed the gearbox prawl kit incorrectly. I had the same thing done under warranty, and I have not had a problem since... Should have been the fix.
Thanks! I do know that it was a perfect 90 degrees before this happened. I know this because the space to fit my boot was strangely small. I compared the linkage position to the service manual. When I saw it was correct, I left it alone. Until it frees up I cannot tell where the dealership put it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
From my experience with this problem 3 times, I have learned that there is a change in the angle that the parts inside are installed was changed from the original build in 08. I don't know if this was a technical service bulletin (TSB) or not. I didn't do the work, so I can't explain it better.

Additionally, the mechanic explained that the first two times that mine was fixed, the mechanic who did the work likely did not use the upgraded kit to fix the problem. I changed to a better dealer for the third fix.

The third mechanic was just slightly short of giving me a guarantee that this wouldn't happen again.

Each time, I experienced the exact same symptoms as ET dianne.

·
Registered
19 Posts
from my experience with this problem 3 times, i have learned that there is a change in the angle that the parts inside are installed was changed from the original build in 08. I don't know if this was a technical service bulletin (tsb) or not. I didn't do the work, so i can't explain it better.

Additionally, the mechanic explained that the first two times that mine was fixed, the mechanic who did the work likely did not use the upgraded kit to fix the problem. I changed to a better dealer for the third fix.

The third mechanic was just slightly short of giving me a guarantee that this wouldn't happen again.

Each time, i experienced the exact same symptoms as et dianne.
:) :) :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
mine did this for the first time, I have an 08 with 3900 miles and it happened downshifting from 4th to 3rd.

Tech put in an update kit (which Ducati was nice enough to goodwill) and I was on my way.

From what I was told, this is common and not a big deal. Just obviously super inconvenient when it happens. I was just happy to hear that there was nothing major wrong with the gearbox.

I was also told that with the update kit, and PROPER ADJUSTMENT, the problem is very unlikely to return.

·
Registered
19 Posts
mine did this for the first time, I have an 08 with 3900 miles and it happened downshifting from 4th to 3rd.

Tech put in an update kit (which Ducati was nice enough to goodwill) and I was on my way.

From what I was told, this is common and not a big deal. Just obviously super inconvenient when it happens. I was just happy to hear that there was nothing major wrong with the gearbox.

I was also told that with the update kit, and PROPER ADJUSTMENT, the problem is very unlikely to return.
I guess the proper adjustment, wasn't so proper....

:)

by the way I was born at Melrose/Wakefield. lived on Lynn Fells Parkway

·
Registered
19 Posts
First off, yes, I realize that this thread is really old, but why start a new one when this one is totally relevant?

I've had my first, and new to me Ducati for almost 2 months now. The first week I had it, during some sloppy shifting (I'm usually a quick and clean shift kind of guy,) the shifter stuck. I pulled off the highway, shut off the engine, and when I re-started it a few minutes later, it was in neutral.

I figured it was my sloppy shifting, and made a point not to do it again. I picked up this fantastically clean, low mileage '08 for over $2000 under book value, with a new set of skins. When the shifter stuck in 2nd, a few weeks later while on a joyride with my wife, I started to think about why the PO would drop the price so far. A little research turned up the 'shift fork return spring' issue, and when I changed the oil, I was able to confirm the problem by identifying the spring pieces stuck on the drain plug.

I called the local dealer, who convinced DNA to goodwill the upgrade kit. After a whopping ~$175 in labor, the bike is as good as new, I still saved over $1800 on the book value, and I'm a happy Ducatisti. This was a temporary bike while I saved up for an adventure tourer. Now the Multistrada is firmly on the short list.

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
After 34 THOUSAND miles, I was in process of selling my hyper, the buyer came back from his test ride. Stuck in 3rd, and wanting to buy the bike because it was soo much fun to ride before it broke.
We settled on half now, take the bike home to Santa Barbara for the repair, if it was the simple fix, then the balance $ for the title.
All done, everyone's happy

So, watch out for the new 'tard owner in SB, , ,

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Argh - happened to me as I was riding HWY1 this morning. Stuck in 3rd and now a big pain in the butt to get it home :(

Will find out from the neighborhood dealer how to fix... I take it this is not a DIY?

61 - 80 of 97 Posts