Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out on pop's bike and the shift lever is stuck in I think 4th. I tried to ease the clutch out and change gears and its not happening. The thing is stiff and wont budge. i'm not mechanically inclinded so I dont know what to do. I tried to loosen a couple of screws with no affect. The only one I havent loosened is the one with the numbers on it.

I know its under warranty but if anyone could give me any advice so I can fix it that would be great. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Time to take it to the dealer. There have been a few people in here who have had similar problems and it's apparently a known issue that the dealer should be able to repair for you. From what I've read, you won't be able to get it "unstuck" yourself.

·
Registered
382 Posts
This is what happened to my bike. There is what I can describe as a "u-joint" inside the shift assembly that can cause the issue. It is actually an easy fix however, not something you could do yourself.

Take the bike to the dealer and they'll sort it out. It's an easy fix...you probably have the same issue I did where the "u-joint" component was not a perfect "U" some of the factory parts are off which causes the issue.

Since mine was fixed the bike has been flawless so it's nothing to be worried about.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Funny, I hadn't read about this but it just happened to me too. I was at 1400 miles when it happened. I was able to get it unstuck but the damage had been done. In my case some internal piece of metal moved far enough to chip gears, so they had to be replaced.

Now that it's fixed, it shifts smoother than when it was new (although I didn't know that at the time).

Definitely take it in.

·
Registered
382 Posts
ok ...Thanks guys. Was it a part they had to order or did they fix it the same day?
Once they have the part they should be able to fix it within a day. I contacted Ducati directly and they overnighted the part from Italy. They actually had excellent service and once I got them involved I had the bike back within 3 days.

Yes, once the part was replaced the bike actually shifted and felt a bit smoother.

I suspect this will be an on-going issue because when the part was removed, we compared it to the replacement and noticed the angle was slightly different. My guess is either a run of production was bad OR...this will become a recall issue.

Either way, make sure and get Ducati involved if your dealer does not work on the bike promptly.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Funny, I hadn't read about this but it just happened to me too. I was at 1400 miles when it happened. I was able to get it unstuck but the damage had been done. In my case some internal piece of metal moved far enough to chip gears, so they had to be replaced.

Now that it's fixed, it shifts smoother than when it was new (although I didn't know that at the time).

Definitely take it in.
Did the return spring break? What usually happens is the piece that is off on the angle forces the spring against a component which causes the spring to break...hence why it does not return. Only good thing is if this does happen yuo can still ride the bike. When mine happened I was stuck in 2nd so I was able to ride the bike home. I was very disappointed at first because mine had right around 500 miles or so (maybe less...honestly cannot recall) so I was worried. Once I understood what the problem was and how minior it actually is in the grand scheme of things I was not worried. Ducati did take great care of me and called me once a day giving me updates. They even assigned a tech from Italy specifically for my case. Very impressive service if you ask me.:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I talked to my local dealership. They didnt even know the price of the first service for a hyper. I called this morning and they said they would have to call me back with a price. Well at 3:00 I called them. I hate poor business. What makes it worse is that they are never busy when I have been there. They are a little tiny shop with dust all over the bikes.Thats why I went out of town to buy it. I have never seen a dealership ran any worse than this one and I've seen my share of dealerships. I guess thats why they just sold it. Can't wait till the new owners take over.

Sorry to rant and rave but they piss me off.
I'm in Jax,Fl
Ducati should have pulled out of that shop a long time ago.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Happened to Me too

So I was out on pop's bike and the shift lever is stuck in I think 4th. I tried to ease the clutch out and change gears and its not happening. The thing is stiff and wont budge. i'm not mechanically inclinded so I dont know what to do. I tried to loosen a couple of screws with no affect. The only one I havent loosened is the one with the numbers on it.

I know its under warranty but if anyone could give me any advice so I can fix it that would be great. Thanks guys
Twice, I called and bitched at DNA and the dealer took parts of of new stock to fix mine because the part was back ordered.

Both times, I had way less than 1000 miles on the bike. I'm sneaking up on 5000 miiles now, and she shift as sweet as pie now.

Hang in there!

·
Registered
31 Posts
yup same thing just happened to me and i was stuck in the middle of know where ......had to get it transported on the back of a flatbed..........

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Does the bike give you fair warning, or does this happen out of the blue? My shifter is starting to feel a little notchy/sloppy. I do notice that there is a lot of slop in the shift lever itself. Maybe just a good excuse to get some new rear sets!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Warning...

Thinking back, I remember approx 3 less than perfect shift before it got stuck. Nothing that really stood out, and I think I would have chalked it up to sloppiness on my part.

That said, on both occasions, it got stuck down shifting 4th to 3rd. Stuck firmly in 3rd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No warning for me. One down shift, and then stuck.

I was able to ride it home, but only because I was within a mile. Any further out from the casa and flatbed trailer all the way.

Dealer turned it around in 3 days.

Dealer mentioned it might happen again, and if so, it would require a drum replacement ie: take the transmission apart and replace some shit in it. Also mentioned Ducati knew of the issue, something about a faulty casting of the transmission drum, but unclear on exactly which drums they were...

·
Registered
31 Posts
No warning for me. One down shift, and then stuck.

I was able to ride it home, but only because I was within a mile. Any further out from the casa and flatbed trailer all the way.

Dealer turned it around in 3 days.

Dealer mentioned it might happen again, and if so, it would require a drum replacement ie: take the transmission apart and replace some shit in it. Also mentioned Ducati knew of the issue, something about a faulty casting of the transmission drum, but unclear on exactly which drums they were...
thats great i just get my new bike i payed alot of cash for and ive got to wait to get it fixed ......:mad::mad:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Happened to me as well

This happened to me on the first day I took it home! Downshift and click, totally stuck down position in 2nd or 3rd gear.

The way I got it unstuck was to try to upshift on the stuck lever at the same time rev it to the high revs. That might be kinda fast if stuck in 4th. Mine loosened up and I could ride home normally.

Then I learned how to make it get stuck every time. Ride about 50-60 mph, then start downshifting by stomping on the lever. A big stomp made it get stuck, light kick = shift normal.

After a unrelated low-side (another story) the whole transmission case was replaced, strangely I cant make it get stuck again. Never got stuck again. I recommend getting it fixed.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
taking it in on tues.
to top it off I think I have grenaded my drz400sm motor, doing wheelies.
They only drained a pint of oil out and its making some noises. My luck sucks right now.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
add me to the list. Right around 800 miles. I was downshifting from 4th to 3rd and it stuck there. I had to limp home in 3rd. The clutch didn't like leaving stop signs at all. I drop it off to the dealer tomorrow.

I noticed that the shift lever had trouble returning upright from a couple of downshifts during previous rides and wondered if this was coming. The dealer didn't seem to know about this problem beforehand.

Great! Just when I put the termi on it and was really getting the suspension dialed in.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts