Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,008 Posts
Motorcycle usage:

Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The lack of "friction modifiers" in Rotella means they do not interfere with wet clutch operations. This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs - one for the engine and one for the transmission. Used oil analysis (UOA) reports on BobIsTheOilGuy.com have shown wear metals levels comparable to oils marketed as motorcycle-specific.

JASO-MA

Both Rotella T 15W-40 conventional and, Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic both list the JASO MA standard; this information can be found on the bottle adjacent to the SAE/API rating stamp. JASO is an acronym that stands for "The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization." Note that the 10W-30 conventional oil does not list JASO-MA.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I thought I'd add, the newer 5 quart bottles of Rotella actually have a Motorcycle on the back as one of the 'Usuage' Icons. So shell is actually 'marketing' the oil for motorcyle usage on the bottles now as well.

Mark

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes... It's good stuff.. Don't be fooled.. They're plenty write up's about this oil vs. others and you'll be amazed how well this stuff is rated... Been using it for years in all my bikes.. My 05 GSXR 1000 has over 36,000 screaming miles on her and still running as new.. Not that my one experience tells you everything, but I been running this oil in dirt bikes as well as road bikes and all these years never had any oil burning or oil related failures or issues.. Come to think of it no failures from Yamaha's, KTM's Suzuki's, Ducati's or Honda's..

If I recall. The Rottela Oils are the most re-badged oils on the market..

RC
Yup I run it in my race bikes, street bikes and my diesel truck. If my wife would run on this stuff, I could save a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
I think it's funny that people ask about what oil they should use on a forum.

The variables are so vast it is like asking your girlfriend if she is happy?

Read your manual, be a man & work it out? Pretty simple really!

Craig :wink2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone have any UOA's on this or other competing oils? My '13 Multi is due back from Ducati Austin tomorrow with some Rotella T6 going in, and I plan on having Blackstone do a UOA on it in 2-3k. Pending the outcome, I'm also considering regular Rotella T, Valvoline VR1 20W-50, Silkolene Pro (several viscosity options here), Mobil 1 V-twin 20W-50... I plan on having this bike a long time and want to be sure I'm getting both longevity and excellent value on my oil/OCI choice.

Though it's hard to wrap my head around moving *from* a synthetic oil, the motorcycling wet-clutch, oil-zealot community consensus seems to be that a shared-sump application is going to shear anything, synthetic or not, expensive GTL/PAO/POE base oil or not, in short order... such that very frequent 2-3k OCI's on a stout "bargain" dino oil like VR1 or Rotella T 15W-40 will be much better for the Duck's longevity (and my wallet!) than Ducati-recommended 7.5k OCI's on their boutique-ish Shell Ultra 4T.

Am I close here??

Keep in mind, I live in TX, where the bluebonnets are now blooming in February... Thanks, Obamacare!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used Shell Rotella on one of my track bikes for a season. I kept up with the oil changes more frequently and had sent samples out for oil testing.
The results were normal. Little worse than using Motul 300V.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 13 multi and have done UOA's on Shell Rotella, the Shell Ultra, and Motul 300v with oil change intervals from 3,000-5,000. The Rotella shears down to a 30 grade in 3,000. The Motul 15-50 300v held up the best viscosity. There was not a lot of difference in wear metals between the 5 different oils I have tested. There was very little difference between the Rotella and the Shell Ultra in viscosity or wear metals.

·
Registered
83 Posts
From my perspective, having the viscosity fall into failure at merely 3,000 miles is unacceptable. Did it fall below the threshold at 1,000 miles?

There are oil options that hold their viscosity well.

Oil purchase based on comments that the use was "good" or "fine" is merely unsubstantiated evidence that their engine didn't fail. I prefer ASTM testing. Failure isn't the standard I use. Even failure evidenced by high metal content shown in used oil testing.

The MINIMUM viscosity standard shown in the Owners Manual is 14.2 for operating temperature. The range is 14.2 to 19.9. Keeping the viscosity between these two numbers keeps the lubrication right where the Ducati engineers designed the engine to have.

Buy whatever you want. I will stick with lubricants that meet the designed specifications AND perform well in the ASTM tests.

·
Registered
476 Posts
From my perspective, having the viscosity fall into failure at merely 3,000 miles is unacceptable. Did it fall below the threshold at 1,000 miles?

There are oil options that hold their viscosity well.

Oil purchase based on comments that the use was "good" or "fine" is merely unsubstantiated evidence that their engine didn't fail. I prefer ASTM testing. Failure isn't the standard I use. Even failure evidenced by high metal content shown in used oil testing.

The MINIMUM viscosity standard shown in the Owners Manual is 14.2 for operating temperature. The range is 14.2 to 19.9. Keeping the viscosity between these two numbers keeps the lubrication right where the Ducati engineers designed the engine to have.

Buy whatever you want. I will stick with lubricants that meet the designed specifications AND perform well in the ASTM tests.
I'm in agreeance, where is the T6 graph? I'd love the data to prove the point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm in agreeance, where is the T6 graph? I'd love the data to prove the point.
^^^Ditto. Also, very pretty graphs, but what's your source? I've wondered if it's the same MCN article referenced in the thread below.

Nevertheless, I keep coming back to Mobil1 15W-50, as I've heard from several insiders it's essentially the same blend as their puppy-tears-priced V-Twin stuff that did extremely well in the tests/graphs above, but is also perhaps the most affordable of them all. As a mechanical PE, I'm into ASTM testing and shear stability, but also value. ...also why I'd probably never buy a new Ducati. lol.

Regarding the Mobil1 V-twin vs. their "regular" 15W-50, this thread is a really good read: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/74198-case-using-mobil-1-15w-50-automobile-oil-motorcycle.html

(Finally, this guy is getting a lot of traction, and deservedly so IMHO: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/ Sure, there's lots of TLDR before he gets to the data, but I'm happy to say both the highly-rated Renewable Lubricants Biosyn and Amsoil Signature oils have held up very well in my Lexus IS-F under track conditions in hot, summer TX weather... The IS-F uses a high-compression, PFI/DI engine making >100hp/liter w/FBO, so really a solid test bed for oil.)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts