Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about to perform my first oil change on my 03 Ducati 749 and came across this at my local Meijer Store:

SHELL Rotella T6 Synthetic Engine Oil, Gal. | West Marine

Is this ok to use for our bikes? I live in Chicago and only ride from April to November and the bike is stored indoors - if any of that matters. Please help and let me know if ok to use? It's 5w40 and it says "heavy duty diesel engine oil".

thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Make your own mind up with the guidance of the oil manufacturers if you should use an oil designed for a diesel engine in a petrol engine! No one on here will know more than the oil companies that is why they make different oils for diesels and petrols. My modern diesel car uses a 5w30 diesel oil as standard and I would never put petrol oil in that. Do you have some difficulty in finding some petrol oil?
If you decide that you, or someone here knows better, then you may as well see if a different fuel will work too.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
about to perform my first oil change on my 03 Ducati 749 and came across this at my local Meijer Store:

SHELL Rotella T6 Synthetic Engine Oil, Gal. | West Marine

Is this ok to use for our bikes? I live in Chicago and only ride from April to November and the bike is stored indoors - if any of that matters. Please help and let me know if ok to use? It's 5w40 and it says "heavy duty diesel engine oil".
thanks!
Why not just go to a store that sells the correct oil for you bike... or am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
not always the case Davy.. but the Shell sticker on the bike is what people follow.. and you can't get the Shell stuff in most of USA.

Add to this the perceived need for Synth so some people, not intending to meand the OP.. see Shell Synth on the sticker and Shell Synth on the bottle at Pep Boys... so it MUST be the same.

Some people tend to get all bent out of shape because they don't realise it's just a commercial tie up between manufacturers and suppliers..

This is not always the case and your opinion may vary depending on the density of your living room curtains.

·
7,547 Posts
It doesn't have to be Shell but it pays to follow the manufacturers recommendation regarding type and viscosity, no matter what colour your living room curtains.
Pays to read the handbook.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I used it last year in some bikes and felt they didn't shift as well, especially my Busa but also the SS. I will switch to something else in those bikes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There's been a lot of discussion about Rotella T6 over on kawiforums. I've switched my ZX-6 over to it on my last oil change and haven't noticed any issues (or improvement either). I think I'll leave my 748 on Castrol 10-W50 though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies, all. I couldn't quote each individually so I'll try my best to respond to some of the posts:

Why T6? It was priced low at the meijer store and reading a few forums (and even on here) have stated that they've used T6 with no issues, while others opposed it.

Read the manual, even read the last Oil used by my local ducati (the recommended Shell Advance 10w-40 Synth but they're hard to find and the ones they used on my bike were about 20 a quart?) That last oil change cost me about 120 and change! Hoo boy.

I've been wanting to perform the routine maintenance on the bike (tires, oil change, flush) and will save the big projects for the experienced mechanics so I'm here to get some good input from those that do it on their own so I definitely appreciate the feedback.

·
7,547 Posts
Just stick with a decent full synthetic 20/50 and you''ll be ok.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I called the Shell technical support folks to talk about the Ultra line in the states and during the course of the conversation they asked what I would be using it for. I explained it was the recommended oil from Ducati and from there we started talking about the automotive and motorcycle oil certs and as it turns out the Shell Rotella stuff meets or exceeds the JASO certifications. I was shocked because it is the same oil I use in my 6.4l Diesel Ford F250. I tow a 41' toy hauler in the Florida heat and have been through some steep mountainous roads of the smokeys and numerous other places. The oil has not failed my truck and it hasn't failed my 848.

When in doubt call the manufacturer. I found the folks at Shell to be very friendly. Also check out Used Oil Analysis - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy and read through his Motor Oil University course.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yes... It's good stuff.. Don't be fooled.. They're plenty write up's about this oil vs. others and you'll be amazed how well this stuff is rated... Been using it for years in all my bikes.. My 05 GSXR 1000 has over 36,000 screaming miles on her and still running as new.. Not that my one experience tells you everything, but I been running this oil in dirt bikes as well as road bikes and all these years never had any oil burning or oil related failures or issues.. Come to think of it no failures from Yamaha's, KTM's Suzuki's, Ducati's or Honda's..

If I recall. The Rottela Oils are the most re-badged oils on the market..

RC

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes... It's good stuff.. Don't be fooled.. They're plenty write up's about this oil vs. others and you'll be amazed how well this stuff is rated... Been using it for years in all my bikes.. My 05 GSXR 1000 has over 36,000 screaming miles on her and still running as new.. Not that my one experience tells you everything, but I been running this oil in dirt bikes as well as road bikes and all these years never had any oil burning or oil related failures or issues.. Come to think of it no failures from Yamaha's, KTM's Suzuki's, Ducati's or Honda's..

If I recall. The Rottela Oils are the most re-badged oils on the market..

RC
I can add to that a KLX110, a Craftsman lawn mower and an Onan 6k Generator. Other than when it comes out of my 6.4l Super Duty the oil always looks very good when I change it.

I can't believe how inexpensive it is plus they have a points based rewards program. And if the local Stores don't have it on sale then Shell usually has a mail in rebate.

·
Temporary greeter
23,066 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts