Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to find 4 quarts. It was a couple dollars more expensive than the Repsol fully synthetic. Has anyone on here used it that races? Just wondering what people think, other than just telling me oil is oil. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Slightly on the fruity side, mellow aftertones of black current and raspberry, oaky body carries a fullfilling palate of complexity all the way past your tongue.

Great with foul!

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slightly on the fruity side, mellow aftertones of black current and raspberry, oaky body carries a fullfilling palate of complexity all the way past your tongue.

Great with foul!
Indeed, something I would have done if I saw this as well...:p

Ok, Just tried it, I really can't find the raspberry in there, definitely oaky though. A little harsh going down.

·
Registered
748 Posts
It's good oil and fine for what you want. It is not "usually" available in the states.

I used Shell Rotella Synthetic. Its a fraction of the price and recommended to me by two different Ducati techs. They said it's the closest oil available in the states to Shell Advance.

Wallmart and Pepboys carries it.
I used it on my track bike

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's good oil and fine for what you want. It is not "usually" available in the states.

I used Shell Rotella Synthetic. Its a fraction of the price and recommended to me by two different Ducati techs. They said it's the closest oil available in the states to Shell Advance.

Wallmart and Pepboys carries it.
I used it on my track bike
Cool, thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Last oil change on the 999s I switched from Shell to the Repsol full snythentic. I am certain the shifting is not as smooth as with the Shell and Mobil 1 used prior. I heard lots of good things about Repsol, and my comments are pure feel and not science.....but in a few months when I am ready to change oil again I am going back to mobil 1 or shell if I can get more.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I managed to find 4 quarts. It was a couple dollars more expensive than the Repsol fully synthetic. Has anyone on here used it that races? Just wondering what people think, other than just telling me oil is oil. Thanks!
I use Shell Ultra in AUS as well,but go to the link below that one of my local Ducati club member's posted recently, and if you have a spare hour to read the late aka "Georgecls" George's postings you will be aware that oils are a lot to do with sponsorship and if you want the best you will find it is "Mobil"

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/tech/122020-motor-oil.html

·
Registered
61 Posts
I sjust witched from Mobil1 synthetic to Shell Rotella T and immediately noticed a smoother running/shifting powertrain. I thought nothing of it until I read this post.

·
Registered
71 Posts
cannot get shell ultra advanced in New Zealand.Shell stopped importing it to NZ.Ducati dealers here recommend Motul 5100 thats for my 1098.I change every 6000km (3600miles) not sure if i want to push it to 12000km.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use the Pep Boys conventional oil....
I usually use the oil from the corner store that is 1.50 a quart, you know, the one that says "Oil" on the bottle, so this should be a nice change.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
cannot get shell ultra advanced in New Zealand.Shell stopped importing it to NZ.Ducati dealers here recommend Motul 5100 thats for my 1098.I change every 6000km (3600miles) not sure if i want to push it to 12000km.
I usually use the oil from the corner store that is 1.50 a quart, you know, the one that says "Oil" on the bottle, so this should be a nice change.
+1...but I do try to grind bones I find in my yard and produce my own petro....nothing successful yet...

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
+1...but I do try to grind bones I find in my yard and produce my own petro....nothing successful yet...
I fry a lot of food, so I just take that and dump it in. If I am low on cash, I have a buddy that works at Whataburger, so I just run over there and pick up some. (I would not recommend McDonalds though)

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I am not convinced that subjective analysis of shift lever feel is an appropriate method for analyzing motor oils. It's possible that the simple fact that a liquid of higher viscosity would dampen the movement of the drum, forks, etc, hence providing the "feel" of smoother shifting. What about the all the other surfaces which need film protection from the oil?

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
I fry a lot of food, so I just take that and dump it in. If I am low on cash, I have a buddy that works at Whataburger, so I just run over there and pick up some. (I would not recommend McDonalds though)
I prefer Taco Bell....the little dog makes good fuel, too :)

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am not convinced that subjective analysis of shift lever feel is an appropriate method for analyzing motor oils. It's possible that the simple fact that a liquid of higher viscosity would dampen the movement of the drum, forks, etc, hence providing the "feel" of smoother shifting. What about the all the other surfaces which need film protection from the oil?
Yeah, I am on the side that believes that the seat feel is not much to write about. I was hoping there would be someone that races who has rebuilt their motor a few times and used different oils. So, they could actually see the difference in wear that could be happening. I know...a long shot, but it never hurts to try!!

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I prefer Taco Bell....the little dog makes good fuel, too :)
Yeah, you just have to pull up to the drive through and say "I would like the
T-Bell 4 Stroke 15-50 please",and they respond with,"factory filter or K&N sir?"

·
Registered
475 Posts
I find if you have a warm cup of it with your morning bagel/toast it makes your day go a lot smoother.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts