Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just a heads up. i probably can't fix this myself. will likely take it to the shop. it's in a spot that i wouldn't be able to get a drill in there to try to bore out/extract.

so, trying to install an aftermarket carbon rear hugger.

3 bolts, have to remove the rear wheel to get to one of them.

reinstalling, the 'top bolt' sheared off on me. wasn't turning that hard.

all three bolts were really tight coming out. red thread locker from the factory.

just wanted to throw this out there just in so others can be careful if trying the same thing in the future.

but hey, if I ever get that bolt out, the new hugger is going to look sweet ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Bummer. Hope you get that resolved soon and thanks for the heads up. Would be nice if the fasteners were premium quality.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you tried a set of sheared bolt extractors? Its a left turning drill to drill a small hole in the bolt, and if that doesnt remove it, it comes with another left turning grabber drill to turn it out.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
1 method.

if your near a Harbor Freight may want to give this a 1 time try for $30.pickup a couple 1/16" quality cobalt bits for drilling a pilot hole thru its center then slowly enlarge till a bolt extractor fits snug.or try an oiled up 10mm tap once you open it up.tap should push whats left into the swingarm.may save some cash doing it your self.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
if your near a Harbor Freight may want to give this a 1 time try for $30.pickup a couple 1/16" quality cobalt bits for drilling a pilot hole thru its center then slowly enlarge till a bolt extractor fits snug.or try an oiled up 10mm tap once you open it up.tap should push whats left into the swingarm.may save some cash doing it your self.

I second this. There are many short drills out there. If your gonna do it yourself, buy a good one like Milwaukee or Dremell. You will eventually use it again and will have saved the bill from a shop. Lowes and Home Depot sell screw extractors.

Unrelated I know but, Yamaha FZ1 brake rotor bolts are known to strip head or snap just like that. Its where I learned how to use the extractors. Go slow with drill, get to proper hole diameter, spray with penetrant or use a touch of heat. It'll come right out.
If I were closer, I'd bring my shit and do it fer ya.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I second this. There are many short drills out there. If your gonna do it yourself, buy a good one like Milwaukee or Dremell. You will eventually use it again and will have saved the bill from a shop. Lowes and Home Depot sell screw extractors.

Unrelated I know but, Yamaha FZ1 brake rotor bolts are known to strip head or snap just like that. Its where I learned how to use the extractors. Go slow with drill, get to proper hole diameter, spray with penetrant or use a touch of heat. It'll come right out.
If I were closer, I'd bring my shit and do it fer ya.
thanks guys, yeah, that's the tool i don't have right now. a stubby enough drill to get in there straight enough.

i'll check into that for sure.

i might try to lift the rear subframe and see how much space is freed up with the swingarm down as far as it'll go

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
i might try to lift the rear subframe and see how much space is freed up with the swingarm down as far as it'll go[/QUOTE said:
possible there will be room by unbolting the shock & let the swingarm angle downwards?

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
My biggest pet peeve with Ducati is this crazy thread locker used on bolts that can shear. I had a similar experience on my Panigale V4s just trying to remove the small screw that held a plastic battery cover on. The bolt sheared and I had to use an extractor to remove it.......for a flimsy battery cover!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts