Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
luvmyduke
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience fitting SharkSkinz street glass on a 999 biposto?

If so, a) how tough was the installation process, in general, and in particular, does their tail section fit over the biposto subframe? and b) would it be unwise to fit and install it after being painted? I expect I know the answer to b), but I figured I would ask, as I can get a pretty good deal on the glass through a painter.

·
luvmyduke
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe a better question is to ask what the difference is between the mono and biposto subframes, other than the rear footrest attachment brackets and the seat mounting hardware?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe a better question is to ask what the difference is between the mono and biposto subframes, other than the rear footrest attachment brackets and the seat mounting hardware?
The mono is made of aluminum and its about 8lbs lighter than the biposto which is steel. There is one little difference also where the back of the mono tail has a pin that goes into a rubber grommet thats mounted to the mono tail

·
luvmyduke
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. From this, and from staring at as many photographs as possible, it seems to me that a tail that fits over the mono should also fit over the biposto frame....anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks. From this, and from staring at as many photographs as possible, it seems to me that a tail that fits over the mono should also fit over the biposto frame....anyone know for sure?
yes it will fit but the biposto frame will stick out slightly about an inch since its a tad bit longer.

·
luvmyduke
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, that is good to know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
You can get the Desmosedicci-esque tail for the 999. It covers the biposto frame.

·
luvmyduke
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent!

·
luvmyduke
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can get the Desmosedicci-esque tail for the 999. It covers the biposto frame.
Is this from Sharkskinz? If not, do you have experience with a specific aftermarket Desmosdeici-esque tail for the 999?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Is this from Sharkskinz? If not, do you have experience with a specific aftermarket Desmosdeici-esque tail for the 999?
motowheels has a couple options for you,or get your body-painter to glass another couple inches on your sharkskins tail.

·
luvmyduke
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the Sharkskins Street bodywork today. I was very impressed...all pre-drilled and everything fit pretty much perfectly first try. I'll have to grind a bit off the DZus backers on a couple of holes, but no big deal. The only issue I have is with the mounting on the OEM headlight stays. There is a single large hold cut out of the upper that lines up perfectly with the lower of the two holes where you press fit the OEM turn signal onto the stay, through the fairing. I was expecting the hole to line up with the through hole on the stay where the bolt goes through and threads into the OEM turn signal.

It isn't a big deal, I can easily drill a hole to access the through-hole, but before I do I thought I would ask in case there was a particular reason why one might be better off mounting it through the lower hole where the turn signal press-fits into a sprung retainer.

Anyone dealt with this issue?

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts