Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed this title/string in the Supersport area in the "Sticky" area.
I think it's a great idea. Can we do a similar thread in the sticky area of our Sport Touring section? I'd be willing to share my map when I get this thing connected and played with...

At present, it's in my machine, but not connected. I need another excuse to rip the fairings off to get to the FInjector plugs. And the map I'm going to start with is an edited version of the PCIII map for a SR4S... (I took away some of the negative numbers, and made them close to or above zero).

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yup, I got one....

Hello, Stick

I have a map for my '03 ST4S ABS that was done on the dyno that I'd be glad to share.
Stock motor (except MBP collets, shouldn't matter) with DP airbox and Arrow "Not for Road Use" slip-ons.
I'm currently running an OEM ECU, hope to have a DP unit fitted soon and will re-dyno if necessary.
It's lurching a bit at low rev's (<3k) in 1st right now, I've been resisting messing with it until I get the DP ECU in place.
Runs like a scalded-ass ape otherwise.
It's the 710-411 PCIII.

It's stored on my old Dell in the garage with the serial port on it, so I'll attach it when I get home.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds great, Guido. Mine is a 2003 ST4S, stock ECU, airbox lid mod., but paper filter, and oval staintune pipes. I purchased a PCIII for a SR4S , I think it was the -41 model. I just haven't plugged it in yet!

Mine seems very smooth...I don't take it below 3K when motoring along--more like above 3.5K. I don't think this one has EVER hiccupped or spit thru the airbox, like the "once a week" burp on my ST2. It actually runs great, but after having it dyno'd with sniffer, I can see that it's lean throughout the RPM range. And I think I feel that lean-ness just a tad, at times.

Maybe I'll write to Scott to see if this can be placed in the ST "sticky" area above.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Try this...

Here's the map.
Kudos to Andy, DynoMeister at Metric Motorcycles, Houston, TX

Hmmm.....I'm getting an "Invalid File Type" message.
May have to figure out a workaround for that, the "djm" extension doesn't seem to be accepted....

Any ideas?

You may need to "rename" the file after downloading to remove the .txt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
To post a PowerComander Map just add ".txt" to the file name just after the".djm" to allow it to upload. The receipient can then download it, remove the ".txt" and use the map. NOTE: Custom maps designed for different, but similarly setup bikes, may or may not work very well. I had previously sent a another member my map and I don't think it worked well on his very similar setup bike. The best way is to have a map made for your unique bike. Mine with its custom map runs very smooth and strong with no stumbles or pops all the way thru the RPM range. That said here it is.

PCIII SR4S
Custom DucShop Dyno Map for 05 ST4s
Sill pipes / K&N / Open Airbox

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Axil, I agree with your statement that these shared maps are NOT a sure thing for any given 2 machines. The best way is to pay a few hundred $$$'s and have the map done by a professional on the dyno.

My local shop's dyno/Ducati tech says that even for 2 identical machines, he's seen huge differences in the maps that he's created. I think he was referring to 2 Jap. bikes that had identical set-ups (that he did in the past), but he says that the same applies for our DUCs.

BTW, I noticed that in the SS area, they're ZIPping the files, and then adding them. But it looks like adding .txt works, too.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
so help me understand this thread, some of us have paid hundreds of dollars for a custom dyno map an we should just post them here as a gesture of good will?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Isn't that pretty much the whole idea of a Motorcycle forum, the exchange of ideas, advice and technical information. Do you think it lowers the value you may have paid for a custom map to allow someone else to try it as a base line? I have received valuable info on lots of issues from people on this forum from all over the world. I don't mind giving a little back.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Isn't that pretty much the whole idea of a Motorcycle forum, the exchange of ideas, advice and technical information. Do you think it lowers the value you may have paid for a custom map to allow someone else to try it as a base line? I have received valuable info on lots of issues from people on this forum from all over the world. I don't mind giving a little back.
of course it's for sharing ideas, I've been the beneficiary of it for many years. but a map is not an idea or a technique or a skill. it's a product. asked a different way, if you paid $500 for a piece of software, and a group of people had the same piece of software but no key, would you share your key with them assuming the key could be used on one and only one machine and you already used it?

now if you want to share *how* you created a good map to help others create good maps, that's a different beast entirely.

·
Registered
37 Posts
With software there is a licensing agreement you sign. If I create a map or pay to have someone else create a map it is yours to to with. Ducati makes no such agreement and will not warranty any of there electronics. If this were not the case you could be held responsible for altering your duc in any way. Remember your duc did not come with those cool pipes or altered air boxes.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Anybody piggyback the PCIII to a DP ECU?

Hello
I just got my DP ECU installed and it works great. Set my PCIII to "Null" but it's still in the system, 'cause I don't feel like pulling the airbox to get to the connectors.
Anybody have a map for the '03 ST4S w/a DP ECU? Dynojet vaguely lists one or two, but it's kind of confusing what model or configuration the base maps actually go on. One list says one thing, and....
Anyway, just thought I'd check. Figured if I left it hooked-up it might as well be doing something....

·
Registered
288 Posts
so how the heck do I get that to my PCIII file?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Interchangeable Maps? Don't kid yourself!

It is very sweet and caring to share maps, but basically a complete wank! You bought a damn good bike, you put the PC3 on, why the dickens wouldn't you do the job properly and get the thing mapped to your bike?

I had an '03 ST4S and put the PC3 on, dyno'd it and oh-what-a-difference! Added all of 2HP at the top end, but smoothed out and fatenned the torque curve right through the mid range, and made it pull without shake from 2.5k. Just brilliant. This is done via Tuning Link software (make sure the dyno boys have this) and it is all about getting the air-fuel mix close to constant for all throttle and rev range combinations.

For reasons of the "operator error" kind I now have an '01 ST4S with much less km. Took all the goodies off the old bike and, after running the PC3 for a while, took it off! The map that was perfect in the previous supposedly identical bike actually made this one slightly worse. My guess is that the cam timing was not done quite so well on the older bikes and this matters. I am yet to check it out, intend to do this soon, but well know the only way to get the benefits of the PC3 is to get it dyno'd to the bike properly, not by getting somebody else's map!

So this thread is a noble, but futile, effort. If you happen to get a map off somebody else's that works for you good luck. But be aware a) the key word is "luck", and b) No matter what results you got, doing it properly will get better ones!

By the way the bottom line of getting this right is that one can pull through tight corners in third rather than dropping to second where rear wheel hop is more likely to bring on its own set of issues - that special breed of "excitement" you get with motocross style corner entries!

·
Registered
144 Posts
OK, so here's another map!

Oh, it occurs to me there is absolutely no harm in trying, and who am I to be a spoil sport!

The attached shows where I mounted it for easy access, not that I've really needed it - plus I have put an oversize battery in anyway and getting the PC3 mounted on top of it was going to be tricky!

I have also attached the before and after shots of the dyno. When you look at what an apparently small difference there is between the lines you would wonder why I would rave about it. But this is one instance where the proof of the pudding is in the eating, not the picture! But it also shows how finely the adjustments need to be made to get a genuine benefit.

This bike (a 2003 ST4S) has the adjustable cams and the timing was exactly correct, certainly within 0.5 degrees and it is hard to do much better. The shims were set to LT Snyder's tolerances (ie bloody tight!). Open airbox (um, a bit too open - if I did it again I would not go so far forward, but there seems to be no drama in the rain), slip-ons, and K&N filter.

Also the fellow who did this map was very experienced and works with the top race teams - I travelled 180km to get it done. I have since discovered there is a very competent person in my own back yard so I'll be going there (Adamstown) next time!

Use the map as you will, they are easy enough to change - but really doing the job properly is the only way to get satisfaction out of this rather than pull up 10% short of the post!

I see I have two maps saved, not sure if they are identical. The one with the shorter name is the newer one. If I remember rightly I noticed the accelerator pump option some time later and turned it on, that could explain why I have a second one. Or they could be identical and I just made two copies!

Edit: I just realised we've been here before, there are some useful tips in the old stuff: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=2467

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello, VinceS
Well, thanks for the change of heart, better to be a sweet and caring wanker, than the alternative, I suppose....:D

I'm going to use the tables to try and "bump" my bottom end a bit to smooth it up off-idle with the DP ECU. Well, not really MY bottom end, the bikes bottom end, you know....No, really....

I reckon the numbers should supply some sort of a pattern that tends to work across the board.

BTW, very innovative mounting location!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Love a wry sense of humour (really!)

Just want to add that, apart from the need to "find a space", the reason I mounted it there was because the PC3 has some buttons on the front that change the map on the fly. I figured I could leave the tank cover off and poke at them while riding along, just to see what they do. Never did it but! If anyone happens to get enthused by this idea and give it a go, please let us know if it has a benefit.....?

Edit: I would also add, along the lines of this thread, that I originally spent quite some time pouring over the maps on the Dynojet site plus a couple of others I could get my hands on. In the end I could find no pattern I was happy that could be used to extract method from the madness. Conclusion = just do the job properly! That Tuning Link software approach is really smart. It relies on the operator to know a couple of things about setting the targets up front, plus he is the one that decides we are "close enough" this time and moves on to the next step, so there is definitely some skill to the process and this should not be discounted easily. Another part of the game is that you can map front and back cylinders differently, which adds about 40% to the cost of doing the job. I was told the improvement was "minor" and only the serious race boys do this. But it is an option and I will be talking to the local chap when I get down there to do this with the current bike.

I guess this is just reinforcing that we mug punters need to be smart enough to know we're having a punt in this thread - which is fine as the cost is $0 and probably we won't do any harm. I would also say that BEFORE i went for this PC3 addition one of my primary motivators was to get the bike better in sync with itself so it was likely to last much longer as I really do rack the km's up. After I did it (and spent 2 hours in a dyno room watching the bits 'n pieces of it all) I am really pleased that I did it this way. I KNOW I got the rideability benefits, and I saw how much the air fuel mixture was changed so can vouch that this was an awful lot more than the apparent change in HP curves, and this will have done a lot to extend the life of the engine. I rest my case!

·
Registered
98 Posts
2002 ST4s PCIII map for Remus TI slip-ons, K&N, Open Airbox

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm a newbie to the world of Ducati as I just picked up a mint (1899 miles) 02 ST4S right before Christmas with Remus TI slip-ons & K&N filter. I must say it was love at first sight (and ride!) I plan to add a PC-III (710-411) and do a rear 1/2 cut to the AB once I do a complete fluid change as she's been sitting quite a bit. Does anyone have a PC map for a setup similar to this? I live a long ways from any dealer or tuning shop so I am definitely on my own out here. Fortunately I can handle anything mechanical myself but the electronics stuff is a bit daunting. Any help or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks. :D

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm a newbie to the world of Ducati as I just picked up a mint (1899 miles) 02 ST4S right before Christmas with Remus TI slip-ons & K&N filter. I must say it was love at first sight (and ride!) I plan to add a PC-III (710-411) and do a rear 1/2 cut to the AB once I do a complete fluid change as she's been sitting quite a bit. Does anyone have a PC map for a setup similar to this? I live a long ways from any dealer or tuning shop so I am definitely on my own out here. Fortunately I can handle anything mechanical myself but the electronics stuff is a bit daunting. Any help or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks. :D
You are really wasting 90% of your money by fitting a PC3 and not getting it dynoed at the same time - Just wait and get it done properly - I know I didnt wait and wasted my time/money and lost the benfits for a year.

I was offered a couple of maps with the same idea (of getting it running 99%) but the reality is it can be way off depending on the original donor engine's state.

The PC3 (as you may already be aware) adds or removes fuel entering the engine to get the optimum air/fuel ratio at different revs and throttle positions and when you have the software you can see by what percentage this is happening.

The two maps I was gifted were massivelly different not only from each other but from the map that was eventually mapped on the dyno for my engine.
One was quite lean with lots of negative figures (you could feel the roughness which started the alarm bells ringing) and the other was quite rich (felt smoother but also gave the risk of "bore-washing" which can cause wear issues and dropped the fuel consumption down dramatically also)

The final map was well worth the money.

The original peak torque of 70 lbft was now accessible from 5800-8400 rpm versus a previous peak only at 7000 rpm and the actual new peak increased to just over 74 lbft with about 5 lbft all the way through from 3500 rpm

The original peak of 108 BHP was now accessible from 7800 to 10,000 rpm with a measurable increase from 3000 rpm and a pretty steady increase of
5-7.5 bhp all the way from 6200 to 10,000 rpm. Peak now at 113 bhp from about 8600 rpm whereas the original peaked at 8600 rpm started to drop off from 9000 rpm

(This from an engine with 45000 Miles when dynoed which I think says a lot about the longevity of the Ducati's)

At the end of the day its your choice but as has previously been stated , why do only half the work (bit like fitting bigger carbs in the old days without working out the correct jetting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Which PCIII to buy

I have c a 2001 ST4 with a 955 big bore kit. The previous owner upgraded the engine exhaust and put a Ducati Performance chip in it. The bike runs so rich my eyes tear from the exhaust. I called the people at power commander and they had no clue which part number would work on my bike. Any help ?
Thanks
RIcky

1 - 20 of 28 Posts