Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I feel ashamed.... I just picked up a 2003 SV650 last Sunday that I'm planning on using as a beater and track tool... I suppose I do feel weird about not wanting to track the sf... Seems like the perfect track tool anyone would dream of!
Maybe I just wont feel as bad dumping the Sv.... Hopefully the sf will forgive me!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Depending on the track the SV might be more fun anyhow. If you race the SV would certainly be more fun - racing a SF against real SBKs would not be my idea of fun.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Don't feel bad at all. I've always wanted a full fairing SV650 for track duty. I want to get back to the track but I cringe at the thought of throwing my SF down the asphalt. Buying a cheap track whore isn't a bad idea at all.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually ended up picking up an 03 naked... Even less crap to replace when she goes down.
Not planning on racing it... At least that I know.

Also gave me enough left in my budget to grab an 06 gsxr fork and zx shock (winter upgrades).

Still checking out people's videos of the sf on the track makes me dream... Unless they end up crashing it ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I felt the same way about my SF but, tracked it anyway because it's my only streetbike. It was a blast.

I joined some friends for a day of ripping it up on New Jersey Motorsports Park track.

Tony's Track Days provided access and excellent training. I was timid at first but as I learned the line, I started to open the throttle sooner and was amazed at how capable and rock solid the Streetfighter is.

Track the Streetfighter once and you'll never regret it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't feel bad I totally understand the worry I bought a track only 98' 748 but I bring both to track days. I don't push as hard on my SFS cause I don't want to lay her down but like has been said once you have it on the track, riding it on the street just doesn't compare.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I wouldnt feel bad, its a great bike and must have been styled on a Duc. I mean check out the early fully faired ones! They look like a ripped off 916 and its a V twin!

·
Registered
736 Posts
The SV650 is a great track bike, especially on more technical circuits and with the suspension upgrades that you're planning, there's not much more you can do, except to upgrade the brakes. Just be careful about matching engine rpm and wheel speed when downshifting or you'll be hopping into the corner (been there, done that).

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The SV650 is a great track bike, especially on more technical circuits and with the suspension upgrades that you're planning, there's not much more you can do, except to upgrade the brakes. Just be careful about matching engine rpm and wheel speed when downshifting or you'll be hopping into the corner (been there, done that).
Lol, ya took the Sv out today on a short run to see what she got... I noticed that she likes a good blip on downshifts,probably due to the rather short gearing. Overall it's a nice little bike that comes alive around 6-7k. Too bad it does get a bit buzzy there in the higher range.
Also the seat is pretty amazingly uncomfortable... For being 3in thick I would have thought it to be easier on my rearend. The sf seat being much thinner is just way more comfy... Or maybe my butts just used to the SF and biases to it.

Suspension is a bit vague and the bike does move quite a bit in bumpy turns... Not super bad just a bit different.

The brakes are junk but there again I've been spoiled with the sf and will have a hard time finding something even remotely close.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts