Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just finished installing a Shindengen SH847 rectifier on my Hypermotard. The install was better than I had hoped. Since I am using a lithium battery, I am hoping this mod will help my batteries last longer. The SH847 is considerably larger than the stock unit, so mounting it was a concern. My bike has the CA Cycleworks oversize tank, so excess space is limited. After some ideas of creating brackets to mount the rectifier due to the mounting holes are spaced out differently than the oem rectifier, I noticed 2 unused tabs on the frame under the left shroud. The holes matched the SH847 perfectly. I thought this was too easy and perfect. After a mock up, the only thing that needed trimming was the removable black plastic inner shroud. I decided to replace one of the harness plug connectors (the one that goes to the stator) and install a much improved water resistant plug. The other connector on the harness was capped and I wired the rectifier directly to the battery.
Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Light
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
P
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle

Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but why exactly is this necessary?
Stock one no longer avalable or a POS what?

·
Registered
2011 Multistrada S Touring, 2000 Monster 900 S
302 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but why exactly is this necessary?
Stock one no longer avalable or a POS what?
Yeah, the stock ones are known for failure. That's the case on most Ducati Regulators/Rectifiers far as I'm aware.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Sounds like something I need to stock
Where do I purchase one of these things?
What's the going rate so I know I'm not paying the "pleasure of owning a Ducati fee"

·
Registered
1999 996 Biposto, 2002 Monster 620 Dark
727 Posts
Sounds like something I need to stock
Where do I purchase one of these things?
What's the going rate so I know I'm not paying the "pleasure of owning a Ducati fee"
Roadsstercycle carries them and sells a kit with the connectors and wiring to do the conversion. If you want to source the bits yourself the SH847 is used on quite a few newer Suzuki and Yamaha sport bikes. I have seen the unit itself as cheap as $140 if you look hard enough. Around $160 is the going price. Be careful sourcing one on ebay, there are a ton of cheap knockoffs like most things.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got back from a ride and felt the temperature of the rectifier, barely warm! The advantages of this rectifier, runs cooler, better plug connectors with less future corrosion, you can remove all lights for track days and not worry about overheating the rectifier, the voltage is more stable, and the stator runs cooler, which can extend its life.

Purchased from Jack at Roadstercycle. He has a website. I’m fortunate enough to live near him, so I road over. I was afraid of all the fake knock offs on eBay and the web, so I didn’t mind paying a little extra.
The guy knows his stuff. He will even help you if you bought your rectifier from someone else. Old school customer service.
Ps. He is retired and installs Tesla drivetrains in older cars. He has some YouTube videos that are worth watching. He even has one on how to spot fake Mosfet rectifiers on eBay.

Reactions: monocog007

·
Registered
439 Posts
Motowheels has ones that use OEM connectors & they have ones for lithium batteries too. Look exactly like the Tick’s ones… not sure if they are shunt or MOSFET as they do not say on their site. Hyper lithium one is only $125

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I chose not to use the crappy oem connectors that corrode and create resistance. Look for the mosfet made by Shindengen. I don’t think the ones you are talking are made by Shindengen. If the plugs don’t look like the ones on my install, I’m betting it’s not. I wouldn’t replace the oem with a non Shindengen rectifier. Shindengen are Japanese made, not Chinese made.

Roadstercycle sells the connector kits. FYI.

Mosfet is a type of rectifier, Shindegen is a manufacturer. In my opinion the best. Not all mosfet style manufacturers are equal.

Reactions: Jeff_H and chris_f

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did do the mosfet upgrade for my 848 from roadstercycle. Nice clean install with the triumph harness. I did it as a precaution, I guess. My bike is an '08 with 16k and still ran the original rectifier and same lithium battery for the last 11k. Guess I just got lucky!
But yes, if you need to replace or just want to upgrade these are nice units.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts