Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time again for the need for more assistance helpers.....

Problem.....1 Snapped chain adjusting bolt in swingarm. Bolt snapped flush against the swingarm.....HEEEEELP!!!!

Any suggestions please?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'll assume that you have the 900 aluminum swingarm. Get your self a long drill bit, and a variable speed drill. Spray the whole thing with WD40 or cutting oil before you start, and warming the whole thing up will help. the challenge you fase is that while drilling, you may get the broken bolt to start moving, but it will go into the swingarm, where it will rattle around for eternity. If it really bothers you, chase it with some gasket sealer to glue it in place.

Most likely, you have the classic problem with the aluminum swingarm. The end of the adjuster bolts rusts and when you try to move the bolt, it breaks off, or just reams out your threads in the swingarm. Given the choice, the broken bolt is a better choice, because trying to put a helicoil in that hole would not be fun.

Cheers,

·
Registered
220 Posts

do the heat lube thing but get a reversable drill and a 7mm drill bit,cut the end off the drill bit so its flat and push real hard against the broken part whilst reversing the drill.alternatively if the broken bolt is tight in the hole,just drill a 6mm hole in the end and use an easy out tool to unwind it with

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
You're going to need a drill bit that is harder than the bolt material. Most bolts are similar in hardness to HSS drill bits, so it'll be a long, long time before before you get a deep enough hole for an EZ out.

Try a carbide bit or a cobalt tool steel (not brand name). These materials are harder, but also brittle, so using a hand drill is risky. If you can, remove the swing arm and use a drill press or Bridgeport. Carbide cuts better when hot, so don't over lubricate when drilling. Start with a smaller bit for a pilot hole, then go larger for the EZ out. Warm (not excessively hot) up the area with a torch after drilling the holes, then try with an EZ out. You'll want to clear the treads with a tap after you get the stud out. It maybe an odd sized, metric fine thread tap and replacement bolt.

Taking the swing arm off is a PITA, but it's easier than dealing with a broken carbide drill bit. Trust me, I learned the hard way.
Good luck.

·
Registered
400 Posts
EDM - Electrical Discharge Machining - is by far the easiest way to get broken off bolts out of soft materials. Call around to the local machine shops and see if anyone has the equipement; it's surprisingly common these days. All you have to do is bring the bike over and show them which bolt. No disassembly required, no muss, no fuss, and a perfectly clean hole when they are done. It will even leave the threads intact.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Cheap Bolts

It is amazing that they use cheap bolts what maybe a grade 5, this is why I've replace most of the bolts on my bike and yes I've done many easyout/drill outs on my bike.
Replace them asap or when you repair anything replace with better bolts!! The cheaper bolts stretch and then break!

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can get a set of left twist drill bits. I have drilled many a bolt with normal high speed drill bits. Your challange is to drill down the middle of bolt and not wander into the threads. I would suggest starting with a small drill bit and work up in size, the larger the hole the easier it will be to EZ out the broken bolt.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
You can get a set of left twist drill bits. I have drilled many a bolt with normal high speed drill bits. Your challange is to drill down the middle of bolt and not wander into the threads. I would suggest starting with a small drill bit and work up in size, the larger the hole the easier it will be to EZ out the broken bolt.

+1
The lefthand drillbits work great!
Come on guy's this is such an easy job, you are making it out to be some kind of rocket science...

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
+1
The lefthand drillbits work great!
Come on guy's this is such an easy job, you are making it out to be some kind of rocket science...
Well, I removed the injectors on my bike, and since Ducati chose to use this white goop to seal the threads, and the head of the screws were weak, I had a hell of a time getting one of them out. The head snapped off, and if it wasn't for the fact that I was able to get the other screw out and remove the injector, I would have been in big trouble. All I'm saying is that things can go bad really fast when trying to fix these kinds of problems.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Assuming your swing arm is similar to the Monsters, that use the slider blocks within the swing arm and the adjuster bolts which thread into the slider, AND that the swing arm end is covered by the removable cap.

The adjuster bolts thread into the slider block within the box of the swing arm. If you remove the rear wheel the slider block and the busted adjuster bolt can be removed together. The adjuster bolt (M8 from memory) is retained into the slider block by a small washer and M3 or 4 cap screw on the forward side of the block. So you cannot completely wind out the adjuster bolt from the slider without first removing the M4 screw.

Once the block is removed, you should be able to grip the threads of the adjuster bolt and wind it out. Replace it with a new bolt. Easy!

I don't recommend drilling it, because the retaining screw will still be on the forward side.

You being in Medowie, is very close to me. I work at Williamtown, airport side, BAE. If you need a hand, let me know. no. 4928 9265 (james)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts