Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned a streetfighter s 5 years ago.
I’m now looking at getting a 1200r.
The only things I really remember about the streetfighter is that it was awesome apart from you very much sat on top of it.
I’m on the fence of which one looks the best but to be honest I think the Montser looks the best .
Has anyone on here recently ridden them both or owned them both?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I owned a streetfighter s 5 years ago.
I’m now looking at getting a 1200r.
The only things I really remember about the streetfighter is that it was awesome apart from you very much sat on top of it.
I’m on the fence of which one looks the best but to be honest I think the Montser looks the best .
Has anyone on here recently ridden them both or owned them both?

I’m no the SF looks sportier and better

Monster more refined and no I haven’t ridden one of those yet.

·
Bon Vivant
11,720 Posts
I think the riding positions are very different and the two bikes couldnt be further apart in overall feel, seating position, handling feel, and style. The SF has more legroom and you feel like you are way up and out over the front - you almost cant see any part of the bike in front of you. it takes some time to get used to it. The monster is long and low with more cramped legs and no problem flat footing for most people. The view from the seat is a whole lotta bike and it feels a little more familiar. For me the monster is just a tad too cruiser-ish, not that I wouldnt love to own one - I would, but the SF is just more my style.

The best thing to do is try to get a ride on one of each if you can because its a very personal decision. The only downside is that I do believe the SF has to grow on you - most people dont like it on their first ride because its so different. But after some time with it you come to understand what makes it so freaking awesome. :wink2:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I very much remember the seat being quite a way from the pegs as I’ve got quite short legs lol.
Hopefully my mate with a sfs is going to come to the dealer with me when I take out a monster r so I can do a back to back ride

·
Registered
19 Posts
If looks are important its the Streetfighter all day long, If not you cant really go wrong with ether, Luv my SFS and shes going to be a long termer for sure

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, the monster, it’s probably the best bike I’ve ever rode.
When I first pulled out I was kind of disappointed by how easy it was to ride. Then got on a open bit of road and gave it some, and that’s when it becomes a proper monster!
Defiantly a jack of all trades bike, but is master of everything!
It has all the things I loved about the sfs but non of the negatives.

·
Registered
373 Posts
No, the monster, it’s probably the best bike I’ve ever rode.
When I first pulled out I was kind of disappointed by how easy it was to ride. Then got on a open bit of road and gave it some, and that’s when it becomes a proper monster!
Defiantly a jack of all trades bike, but is master of everything!
It has all the things I loved about the sfs but non of the negatives.
Interesting to say the least!
One day maybe

·
Registered
466 Posts
Whaaaat? ...Tamburini had nothing to do with the design of the SF or the 1098 SBK of which the SF is derived.
I think most folks would agree that the 1098 design was an effort to bring back the design cues of the 916 family...after the 999 was met with "mixed" reviews.

·
Registered
400 Posts
after the 999 was met with "mixed" reviews.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it amazing how things change,

the 999 is now becoming much sort after especially the 999r

Late model monsters and SFS are also starting to be collectable.

Geoff...>:)

·
Registered
466 Posts
after the 999 was met with "mixed" reviews.
Isn't it amazing how things change,

the 999 is now becoming much sort after especially the 999r

Late model monsters and SFS are also starting to be collectable.

Geoff...>:)[/QUOTE]

I've never ridden a 999, but I've heard that they are great to ride and there were of course great World Superbike results... both things cover a multitude of (subjective) sins.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 2006 999s that I had was an absolute gem to ride, I luved it( wish I still had it ) In the flesh its a stunning machine

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
The 2006 999s that I had was an absolute gem to ride, I luved it( wish I still had it ) In the flesh its a stunning machine
Not to get off topic but the 999 is a really under-appreciated beast. I have at least one WSBK homologation version from each generation of Superbike from the 888 on and, comparably speaking, my 2006 999R is one of the best bikes Ducati made. It is so easy to get and ride fast comfortably. I know that initially it got a lot of mixed reviews but by the end Ducati really dialed that thing in. Also, while they're all beautiful bikes, the 999R has aged particularly well. I love mine. I bought it from a user here and it's been especially awesome.

·
Bon Vivant
11,720 Posts
I think most folks would agree that the 1098 design was an effort to bring back the design cues of the 916 family...after the 999 was met with "mixed" reviews.
The 916 changed the way sport bikes were designed across the globe, not just in Ducatis design studios but for every manufacturer. And while the world embraced the new look Ducati decided to go a different direction after Terblanch took the reins in the design studio (after-all, he couldn't just let his predecessor dictate his direction) but by the time Ducati threw in the towel on Terblanchs misguided affinity for Luigi Colani the evolution of Tamburini's vision had taken hold and all of sportbike design was steamrolling down the track he put in place. You could say that every sportbike designed after the 916 had some Tamburini influence, but for me it was just a cultural expectation that had set in, and I give him no more credit for the 1098 than that. IMO the 1098 far and away eclipses the 916 and set a new bar for Ducati design that has yet to be matched.

·
Bon Vivant
11,720 Posts
I just want to add a caveat to the above. I dont know for sure that Terblanch was influenced by Colani but it looks pretty obvious that has was following the trends that Colani had started in the mid 80's so I often assert that he was a disciple. you can make up your own mind about that.

Back to the original topic; the streetfighter is a unique bike with a unique design even in the very small hyper naked niche. None of the other manufacturers have quite matched the raw and brutal nature covered by an artistic beauty. I dont think there will ever be another bike quite like it and those of us that have one have something special. A 1200R monster is a cool bike, But the SFS is much much more.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Adding my $0.02 to this thread:

What we have here is the juxtaposition of old Ducati vs New Ducati from a company ethos POV.

The Streetfighter (particularly the 1098 variant) represents the peak of “old Ducati”, pre-Audi when sales volumes and mass-rideabiloty were less important that outright expression of passion and design. The owners of this bike who can appreciate it for that (and I’m one of them) will tell you that there will never be another bike like this from Ducati, and they’re right. Times have changed and Ducati is no longer the niche rand it was in the mid 2000’s when this bike was conceived.

The Monster 1200R (the entire M1200 platform really) is a clear expression of the new Ducati. A more refined machine with more tech, better manners, a more relaxed disposition, but that still contains some of the “Ducati magic”. There’s no refuting that it’s a special machine but at the same time, it’s a different beast altogether. I could never fault anyone for preferring this bike to the Streetfighter because ultmately, it depends what you want out of a bike and how deep you look beneath it’s surface as an owner/rider.

I’ve owned and/or extensively riden pretty much every hypernaked from the last 10 years and the only one that’s still in the garage is the SF1098. That’s the bike that does it for me and I think there are a few others on this forum who feel the same way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts