Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a little touring trip over the weekend. On my way back on a backroad 160 miles away from home my engine shut off all of a sudden and I coasted to the side of the road. The dash was still on as well as my oil light (is that normal?). I turned the key off and on, checked the voltage which was 12.9V and cranked it. Sounded normal while cranking but just wouldn't fire up. Checked the fuses, swapped the 3 relays around, made sure the duel pump primes, reverted my Annitori quickshifter back to normal via the loop plug and it wouldn't fire up. Tank was half full. I opened my gas tank, put my year to it and cycled the key and heard gas flowing.

Picking up my bike tomorrow. I'd like to get some ideas what to look for when I get it back here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Because this comes up in the forum regularly, I suggest you try the magnifier search button with key phrases such as "won't start", "died", "quit running", "shut off". There really should be a sticky as the problem can be Ignition, Fueling, ECU, safety circuits and I see a lot of people throw parts at it and change settings in a haphazard manner. Sounds like you did some onsite diagnostics. Because the FI system is electric/mechanical, it's not as easy to rule things out as a carb bike that will rarely fail abruptly and has two independent devices.

It can even be as simple as bumping a kill switch. I've seen bikes towed home for that.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
If you heard fuel swirling around in the fuel tank you probably blew a fuel line off a connection inside the tank. Normally when you turn the key on the fuel pump should prime and then stop after a few seconds.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
What is this fuel line connected to? Basically I want to know if the tank is currently half empty and I fill it all the way up to the top, will I be able to start the bike?
It's a pressurized circuit w/ the fuel pump and fuel filter in-line. Any break in this circuit results in no fuel pressure, so it doesn't matter how full your tank is.

which hose pops off?
Dunno about the SF, but the SC's had a similer problem and generally it was one of the lines attached to the fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
If you want OEM quality go w/ MAHLE 145 Fuel Filter (http://a.co/4dEqh7Q)

Many use the Napa 3032 which is fine if your diligent about replacing them. (BTW I have prob 1/2 dozen of these if you want one)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
The fuel lines are connected to the tank and to the fuel pump. It doesn't matter how full the tank is. If you've blown a fitting off of the fuel pump the bike won't start because it isn't getting fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a little video of the fuel through the gas cap. You can hear the fuel sloshing and see the fuel moving around.

Does this confirm that the fuel line has popped off?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Yes, that confirms the problem.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took it apart this past saturday and as expected, the fuel line disconnected from the fuel pump. SlowDive graciously help me with new clamps, special clamping tools and even gave me a new NAPA fuel filter.

I'm glad I can at least finish this season!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts