Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i've been trying to decide between the SF848 or the 848 Evo for the last few months, and today i test rode both of them. The SF848 was awesome fun, but the only problem is, so was the 848 :S . I want to know from people who own the SF, why would you buy the SF over the Evo, what is it about it that you love so much, also for people who have swapped from a sportbike to the SF848, do you find that you miss the sportsbike feel, or does the SF just make up for it in being awesome. The reason i ask is because i loved the SF, but i felt more at home on the 848 Evo because im so used to sports bikes, the naked bike felt a little strange to me. Thanks guys, i await your comments and recommendations. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I wanted the 848 Evo , but after testriding the SF and 848 I decided to go with the fighter.

Everyone has their own opinions and styles.. But I'm not much of a fan on sportbikes for riding on the streets.. Your view in traffic is much better on a naked then a sportbike.
For me sportbikes come alive on the track..

But I will repeat myself , everybody rides with what he wants ;)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
i felt more at home on the 848 Evo because im so used to sports bikes, the naked bike felt a little strange to me.
Buy the EVO or better yet buy an 1198. I tried to compromise with the SF and it didnt work out. You will end up wanting to go back to the superbike. Now all its fixed thanks to my 1199

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had an 848 Superbike, but sold it for the more upright ergos of the Streetfighter 848. The 848 was great, but I'm getting older, and old wrist injuries meant the Superbike was a pain, literally. 12000 kms the first year, 4500 the next, and a pathetic 3000 last year. I put 1200 on the SF in a week. That will slow down, of course, but I'm much happier.

I tried the Monster 1100 Evo, but couldn't go past the familiar motor and handling of the Streetfighter. I figure I've got a more comfortable, more streetable version of the same bike, and it still looks hot (OK, not *as* hot). For me, it was a win/win.

Like Lawrence84, I find my SF much better in traffic than the SB, and I agree entirely with "everybody rides with what he wants". We can't say what's best for you, just tell you pour experiences...

See if you can get yourself a longish back to back test ride on both. Frasers are my nearest dealer, and I see you've got a local Frasers. When I was at the decision stage, I insisted on a long ride, and we did about 140 kms, out on one, back on the other, on a mix of urban and very fun country roads. If one Frasers will do it, surely another will. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
"Like Lawrence84, I find my SF much better in traffic than the SB, and I agree entirely with "everybody rides with what he wants". We can't say what's best for you, just tell you pour experiences..."

Completely agreed. Buy what you like & go back for test rides on both for more than ten minutes.

For a daily rider I'd recommend the SF. But again, it's your bike what do you want to do with it.

OR you can do what I did and buy a SF and a SB! :D

·
Bon Vivant
10,965 Posts
I don't mess around with the little bikes but I have both streetfighter and 1098r.

I have both bikes because I think they have different designs and very different uses.

The SBK for me is designed for the track - not the power or even the handling but the riding position. It puts you in a tuck that is suited for riding at triple felony speeds and looking through corners. It's most comfortable and most effective with your face planted one side of the fairing or the other and your knee on the ground in a corner.

The SF is far better on the street as a street bike while keeping all of the power and handling you need in the real world/ uncontrolled environment. The riding position is much better at allowing you to look around as you ride, scan traffic, and keeping an eye on the lady next to you texting and putting on her make-up at the same time while paying no attention to her driving or you. The streetfighter is truly all-day comfortable (for me) and has just the right ergos for just a tiny bit of adrenalin rush and discrete hooliganism when the time is right. All very different from the sbk.

I know that coming from a sport bike the SF feels different - it did to me too and it took a few weeks for me to get used to it. I do think the SF is one of those bikes that needs a period of adjustment for new owners. But this is my style of bike and I think it is a true sport bike designed for the street environment while the SBK is a street legal racing bike designed for the race track. Both great bikes but fit slightly different needs.

BTW if you want a bike for the street my preference is more power - go for the big bike. If you are after a track bike the smaller bike is just as much fun as the big bike.

I think we all here in the SF section see the good qualities in the SF and that's why we bought one but if you are not ready to accept the downside of the SBK on the street and still have the passion for racing bikes I understand why people like Lsberrios1 aren't ready for a streetfighter. I guess that's why I have both.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
but if you are not ready to accept the downside of the SBK on the street and still have the passion for racing bikes I understand why people like Lsberrios1 aren't ready for a streetfighter. .
That would have been the case with the 1*98 series. Oddly enough (this could be just me) my 1199 feels more comfy and has better temper around town than the streetfighter. Engine is smother and ergos are pretty upright. Only thing I can really complaint about it is engine heat which is the reason I dont use it in traffic anymore only on the weekends.

I guess if you really wanted a commuter then a SF would be a better choice compared to an 848. But if you are looking for fun in twisty roads and you are familiar with sbk handling the SF may fall short.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If I had to get a new bike right now I would get the SF848 over the 848evo simply due to the fact that the 848 replacement is probably coming out pretty soon. And if the draw of having a SBK is huge then I would get a used 848... or even a 1098 which is selling for around the same price as the 848 right now.

I've been looking at sbk's a lot recently and I've seen some good prices on them but I'm holding off right now due to the change over in models going on right now. Prices in the used market will change soon as well as me feeling buyers remorse if I had just bought a bike only to have the new one come out within a year.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Don't discount practicality and the road you'll be riding on. The SF is a track bike for the street. If the street is where you'll ride, and you want a bike honed for that purpose, I think the SF has the advantage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did find that the clutch on the SF was quite hard to pull in compared to the Evo, also the power delivery on the SF was pretty aggressive comparatively as well, i mean don't get me wrong the Evo was awesome fun, but the SF just felt so much torquier. The decision making process continues.. im going to see if i can get a longer ride on both machines, the test rides i did were only about 5 minutes because the dealer didn't have a lot of time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I purchased my SF848 I had a chance to take it out for an hour long test ride. Real world, real roads, all types of situations: traffic, stop signs and lights, cars, 25mph zones, highways, twisties. That's where you'll be riding this bike. Everywhere. So you need to figure out within this environment which one you'd rather be on during that entire time. I'd say more saddle time would benefit. In the end go with your heart not anyone else's opinion.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
In the straight looks dept. full fairing bikes look sexy as hell. I got tired of lower back and wrist pains on sport bikes. After a couple hours i would be hurtin. Since I've switched to the "street fighters" i can ride all day into the 8 hour mark with out the pains., except saddle sore. Im at the point now i hate a fairing and hate having a big plastic nose on the front and caint see the road. I'ts just two different looks, hooligan vs racer. I've came to embrace the hooligan lifestyle i have made for myself.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I love my SF848, and I don't plan on selling it any time soon. The handling is WAY more fun in twisties than other sportbikes I've ridden. You just don't have to worry about it. You can stick your knee out if you want, but it's not really necessary. The thing makes street and backroad riding a blast.

The issues I'm finding though, that really make me miss sportbikes, are wind protection and smoothness of power. Yes, the SF848 has good torque and decent power (not a lot, but a good amount).. but it's very fidgetty if you drop the RPMs lower than 5k. It gets difficult to ride if you're not hauling ass 24/7. On the highways at 150km/h+, forget about it. Your helmet bobs around a lot in the wind and it gets annoying fast. High speed just isn't what the Streetfighters are meant for.

So consider where you'll be riding it 80% of the time, and that'll make your choices easier. High speed, long commutes, or track? 848 Evo. Around town, backroads, or traveling at "legal" speeds? SF848. :D

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I was going through the same process but got the 848 baby superbike. Did about 400km yesterday throught tight twisties and 160kph sweeping country NSW roads.

Amazing bike when you are tucked in and in your insular environment, the scenery rushes past and you know that's what the designers intended.

Bravo the baby superbikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well after having ridden the two again but for longer, i'm pretty set on the SF848. I have two questions though. Firstly, is wind really that much of a problem? I do like opening my bike up every now and then and i do a chunk of commuting on the freeway at around 110km/h to university and back every 2nd day. Also, does the power on it get boring? It felt good today when i rode it but it feels a little as though i might get bored of the power.. idk.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also, does the power on it get boring? It felt good today when i rode it but it feels a little as though i might get bored of the power.. idk.
in my experience, buy what you really want straight away cause you'll only trade it in later and take in the ass.

if you are already questioning the power output on the 848, then you will not be satisfied later. the SF848 is a great street motor, but it will not put the smile on your face like a 1098...just my opinion.

·
Registered
635 Posts
He's comparing the SF848 to the 848EVO, so if he's not happy with the baby SF's power the EVO isn't going to cut it either, I've ridden both quite a bit and there's not a helluva lot of difference in the power output, even if the delivery is different.

I love superbikes as much as anyone, but my old ass doesn't like being wadded up on one for 4 hour stretches anymore so the SF gave me 90% of the performance of an EVO with 90% LESS pain........done deal for me.

Also, you mention stretches of freeway at ~110km/h........at those speeds I'd be comfortable for several hours, it doesn't get bad for me until around 140km/h (only slightly tucked to let the wind hold me up).

I've got feelers out for a 1098SF project (high miles/lowsided/theft repo or similar) to get my adrenaline fix on since the R1's showing her age these days, so I'm not saying you shouldn't consider the biggun'....it's an awesome machine. I will say that if a bike doesn't give you rush when you first ride it, it's not likely to "grow on you".

·
Registered
133 Posts
I cross shopped the F848 against the Street Triple R. The F848 is much more aggressive then the STR. Ergos and performance included. After demoing the STR, the F848 felt like a sport bike. In my opinion, the gap between the F848 and 848 Evo are closer then some would like to admit, and riding a more "standard" bike like the STR makes it more evident.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most of the riding i did was pretty tame suburban roads. The first time i opened that thing up though, it had me grinning like a madman. I found the power good, available when i needed it. In fact im fairly set on putting an order down for one come monday morning :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts