Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
As the title states i have a sf848 2012 with 27k km on it. I did the belts and valves at 24k and changed plugs, brake pads, sprocket and chain etc at about 20k. I live in norway so i had the bike in winter storage the entire winter, took it out about 4 weeks ago. I changed oil and brake fluid before i rode. So, first two days and everything is perfect. Feeling happy that the bike is running nicely (had some problems last two years with steering bearings and clogged fuel filter amongst other things). Then its like a flick of the switch and the bike runs terrible. I rode it to work and parked in a warm garage and then it was different when i was leaving. At the time its was still bellow 0 celsius some nights and i had it standing outside when not at work. It's louder (not in a good way) and vibrates a lot under load. Mostly bellow 5k rpm. Feels like power is down, but not much. It smells more gasoline than before as well. I did a few things to diagnose, but my mechanical skills are limited. Here's what i did :

- oil level was too high: drained 0,5L.
-checked plugs: oil in threads of the plugs and black plug tips. Cleaned as best as i could and changed plugs.
- cleaned airbox: it was not dirty
-changed oil again to correct level
-reset TPS
- been through 2 tanks of fuel with injector cleaner in them
- no error message in tuneecu

I know i f..d up with the oil and probably my troubles are related to this, but i dont know what else i can do now. Any tips?

Upgrades (had them for 1,5 years) :
-DP ECU: through tune ecu with o2 sensors disabled.
-k&n air filter
-AR gp2 exhaust

·
Administrator
13,025 Posts
I will copy this over to the Streetfighter forum section if you don't get any response on this in the next 24 hours.

Reactions: svettern

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
I’d start by checking the plugs again. After getting the oil level corrected you shouldn’t have black plugs anymore, unless it’s an issue with the tune you have in the ecu. Are you sure you don’t have too much injection cleaner in the tank ? Did it start running worse after buying fuel ? If the plugs look ok, take it out and ride it hard, see if it gets any better. Run that fuel as low as you dare and put some fresh in from a different source. You could have water in the fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll check the plugs again and reset the mapping when I get off work. I've been running the map for almost 2 years so I would be surprised if that is the source.
It occured when it ran on the same tank of fuel that had been sitting for 4 months during storage (full tank of 98 octane which is about the same as 91 in the US). It's been stored in a tempered garage, but the fuel has been a problem before so I'll try what you suggested. However it doesn't feel like the fuel is at fault because it doesn't cut and bog, it just feels off constantly. Like the ignition timing is out of sync or something.
Currently no injector cleaner in the tank which is full of fresh fuel.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
vibs?

maybe caused by a cylinder cutting out? do the exh. head pipes feel equal in temperature while running or is 1 noticeably cooler to touch?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey, thanks for helping. The exhaust heads feel like they are at the same temp.
Today I got to test the bike after checking plugs and resetting the mapping back to original. The plugs where somewhat black so I changed the mapping. I went for a 40 minute ride and it feels much better. Still got vibrations under load when rpm is under 4500, but its not that much worse than before everything went bad. I still think there is something wrong because the fuel smell is still present and I got louder backfires when I let go of the throttle. Airbox og filter seemed ok. Guess I just have to run the tank empty and report back later. I find it strange that the mapping suddenly was off. Can the temperature change have an effect? It's been fluctuating between 22 degrees celsius and 0 after I brought the bike out.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Check the rubber intake manifolds. Check if there are no leaks. Remove them check for cracks and if they still seal good to the cylinder heads.

·
Registered
463 Posts
hey, thanks for helping. The exhaust heads feel like they are at the same temp.
Today I got to test the bike after checking plugs and resetting the mapping back to original. The plugs where somewhat black so I changed the mapping. I went for a 40 minute ride and it feels much better. Still got vibrations under load when rpm is under 4500, but its not that much worse than before everything went bad. I still think there is something wrong because the fuel smell is still present and I got louder backfires when I let go of the throttle. Airbox og filter seemed ok. Guess I just have to run the tank empty and report back later. I find it strange that the mapping suddenly was off. Can the temperature change have an effect? It's been fluctuating between 22 degrees celsius and 0 after I brought the bike out.
NGK-2013-Complete-NC_Page_207_1.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dads 848 was like shit due to a dirty injector. The 848 injectors are fairly cheap. I’d pull them and take a look. Also was the ECU programmed to deleted the O2 sensors? It’s my understanding that the DP ecu for the 848 Evo still requires O2 sensors, not positive on non-Evo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey, thanks for helping. I haven't checked the injectors, but I'll do it as soon as I can. The weather has been bad so all I did since last time was check the injector relay which was ok (i don't have a garage). Yeah, i deleted the O2 sensors with the DP map and had it running really good for over a year, but i flashed the ECU back to oem after the roughness/backfiring occured. Felt like it helped a little at first, but now the rough running is becoming progressively worse. Backfires are getting louder as well. I will check the intake manifolds and the injectors next. I think I'll change the fuel filter as well, but I already did that last year..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey.. Been raining ALOT here. Yesterday I worked on the bike and changed the fuel filter and did some checks with the multimeter on coils and injectors. Had a friend of mine with me who knows how to do it. Couldn't find anything.. Till I checked the vertical plug which again was black and had oil in the threads. So I have booked a mechanic in 1,5 weeks (luckily since all the other shops had over 1 month waiting time) to change valve gaskets. I'll give you the final update after the mechanic has done his thing.. Thank you for the replies!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts