Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the bike for two weeks and took it on a 1100 mile ride over a long weekend. I just had the 600 mile service done (a little late) and had a 14 tooth sprocket and the ECU reflashed at Redline Ducati in Yorktown, VA. These two simple upgrades moved this bike from the good category to the GREAT category.

I highly recommend these modifications.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What are the advantages of changing to a 14t sprocket. I find the standard gearing tall. Does changing sprocket make speedo inaccurate.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The advantage is that it lowers the gear ration, allowing for quicker acceleration. Your speedo is not altered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
+1 on the 14 tooth sprocket. Helps acceleration a bit and your actually able to use 5th and 6th gear instead of treating the bike like its a 4 speed. Haven't done the reflash yet, but need to.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Any Ducati I would ever buy would have the sprockets changed. I'm not sure why Ducati gears their bikes so low.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Any Ducati I would ever buy would have the sprockets changed. I'm not sure why Ducati gears their bikes so low.
Actually, it's geared too high (tall). I know that the numerical ratio is low, but common usage calls it high.

I think that the reason for the gearing is that it helps pass the emissions and noise certification.

·
Bon Vivant
10,965 Posts
Actually, it's geared too high (tall). I know that the numerical ratio is low, but common usage calls it high.

I think that the reason for the gearing is that it helps pass the emissions and noise certification.
Ducati is a race and track oriented company. For use on the track the stock gearing is very good, it allows for smoother corner exits and higher top speed on the straights.

I agree that it is too tall for the street, it all depends on how you use the bike.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

Tall gearing might also be of use on track, as opposed to the street. Tall gearing = higher achievable top speed, all else being equal.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Ducati is a race and track oriented company. For use on the track the stock gearing is very good, it allows for smoother corner exits and higher top speed on the straights.

I agree that it is too tall for the street, it all depends on how you use the bike.
Depends on the track. A big track like Road America (4 miles) with really long straights, yes. But short tracks like we have here in MI (2 miles max) can use lower gearing with no problems.

Dropping the front to 14 has been the best single thing I've done to the bike.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Tall gearing might also be of use on track, as opposed to the street. Tall gearing = higher achievable top speed, all else being equal.
True but most of the tall gearing issues have to do with the fact that the transmissions are close ratio and really a wider ratio tranny would suit the street bikes better, but demand says race spec transmissions where most of us will not be riding it.... go figure.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
True but most of the tall gearing issues have to do with the fact that the transmissions are close ratio and really a wider ratio tranny would suit the street bikes better, but demand says race spec transmissions where most of us will not be riding it.... go figure.
I don't mind giving up a few mph at the top end to make the bottom end a little nicer for day to day riding. The bike's not going to see a track, anyway.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I have had the bike for two weeks and took it on a 1100 mile ride over a long weekend. I just had the 600 mile service done (a little late) and had a 14 tooth sprocket and the ECU reflashed at Redline Ducati in Yorktown, VA. These two simple upgrades moved this bike from the good category to the GREAT category.

I highly recommend these modifications.
What is this ECU reflash you speak of? I haven't heard of a reflash being available. I have heard some people complain about some fueling issues, is this reflash to address that?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
What is this ECU reflash you speak of? I haven't heard of a reflash being available. I have heard some people complain about some fueling issues, is this reflash to address that?
Check the FAQ, there's a ton of stuff about the fueling issues and options for a possible cure...

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Check the FAQ, there's a ton of stuff about the fueling issues and options for a possible cure...
I have looked, but the FAQ is mostly (if not entirely) written in respects to the SF1098. I am aware of the fueling issues and available ecu reflash for the 1098, but was not aware that a reflash was available for the 848. So question still remains, is the reflash that the OP speaks of available to address a fueling issue for the 848 also?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I have looked, but the FAQ is mostly (if not entirely) written in respects to the SF1098. I am aware of the fueling issues and available ecu reflash for the 1098, but was not aware that a reflash was available for the 848. So question still remains, is the reflash that the OP speaks of available to address a fueling issue for the 848 also?
My bad, forgot that this was an 848 thread...:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts