Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new SF out for a ride on Saturday, and two blocks from the house the bike promptly stalled at a light, and would not restart. The check engine light came on, and some scrolling thru the display showed me "CAN communication error 38.0", which shows up in the user manual as the last entry on the errors listing.

Ducati Roadside Assistance got the bike over to the dealer for me, but I haven't gotten any updates. Has anyone seen this error before?

My bike has 44 easy miles on it, has not been dropped, etc etc. I thankfully had the issue where I could push the bike home, as if I had been a mile further I would have been stuck on a highway with no breakdown lane.

My guess is a loose connection somewhere? The bike had been running fine prior to this, all my trips to date have been on city streets in Brooklyn and Queens, so lots of lights and probably no speeds above 60mph for the one or two stretches where I could wind it out a bit. Got to say I'm not exactly pleased with this happening, but at least DRA got the bike quickly and I hope there's a quick fix.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm curious, what is Duc Road side assistance phone number ? I want to make sure I carry that with me.

Good luck with the fix. Working in the filed of CAN, its probably a SDO/PDO issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer called me yesterday; they got the bike on Saturday and took a look at it first thing yesterday (Wednesday) morning. Not exactly what I would expect given the fact that I picked up the bike less than a month ago... but I digress.

The service manager said 'the dashboard is dead and needs replacing'. I assume she meant the cluster, but the best part is that she expects it to take 7 to 10 days to receive a replacement part.

Can't say I am particularly pleased after paying full price for a brand new bike, and to have it waylaid by a faulty component only 44 miles into my ownership. I don't get a real sense of urgency from the dealer in terms of getting this fixed in a hurry.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The dealer called me yesterday; they got the bike on Saturday and took a look at it first thing yesterday (Wednesday) morning. Not exactly what I would expect given the fact that I picked up the bike less than a month ago... but I digress.

The service manager said 'the dashboard is dead and needs replacing'. I assume she meant the cluster, but the best part is that she expects it to take 7 to 10 days to receive a replacement part.

Can't say I am particularly pleased after paying full price for a brand new bike, and to have it waylaid by a faulty component only 44 miles into my ownership. I don't get a real sense of urgency from the dealer in terms of getting this fixed in a hurry.
Which dealer are you using? The one on Sixth Avenue?

·
Registered
77 Posts
They've got a considerable backlog this time of year (I've been waiting on service for awhile now). I've had fairly good experiences so far, but I agree that they should absolutely have made a special arrangement in your case since they sold you the bike and it became inoperable within 50 miles. Hopefully, your parts won't be delayed by the earthquake.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Don't be afraid to be the squeaky wheel. Friendly conversations with the sales manager and store manager are good places to start. But if you dont feel taken care of then make a little more noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to close out the loop on this, I picked up my bike last Thursday after 19 days at the dealership. Something in the cluster shorted, and the fix was a full replacement of both the instrument cluster and ECU. Book time on the work order showed it as a 0.7 hour job, which kind of chafes me given the amount of time I had to wait to get the bike back. I do not think I will be getting my future servicing done at this dealer; does anyone have feedback on the Ducati dealer that's in Long Island?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Just to close out the loop on this, I picked up my bike last Thursday after 19 days at the dealership...
It would be interesting to know how many of those 19 days were taken up by the ordering and shipment of parts; whether those parts had to come into the country, or whether those parts were from DNA warehouses in the States.

I recently had to wait over a month for some Triumph repair while parts were shipped from the UK AND from Thailand; the latter apparently via that proverbial 'slow boat from China'. Once the parts were here, the repair took a couple of hours.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
My understanding is that Ducati NA doesn't stock parts. Everything comes from Italy via air.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
As ttpete said, parts come from Italy via air...took 11 days for my replacement dash to come in a couple of years ago, and there was no earthquake disrupting things...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This was the timeline:
Saturday June 9 1pm - bike dropped off by DRA
Wednesday June 13 - bike looked at
(unsure when parts were ordered)
Tuesday June 19 - parts shipped from Italy
Tuesday June 26 - parts arrived
Thursday June 28 6:30pm - part installed / bike delivered

I'm annoyed that it took so long for the bike to be looked at, especially since I'd taken delivery less than a month prior and it had less than 30 miles on it. Also, the fact that I'd asked for shipping to be expedited (and was told it would be), install to be prioritized, etc, and there were still a few days of no action in between. Also, I had to fight to get them to test ride the bike on the 28th instead of the 29th; I'd planned to take it to my wife's birthday party that evening, and without the bike I'd have had no way to get there.

I understand it's a busy time of the year, but when the dealer promises you several call backs with status updates, and never calls, it gets frustrating.

When I met the service manager as I picked up the bike, he was great, but clearly there was a disconnect in between me, the customer, and him. He'd given updates to the shop manager, apparently, that never made it to me. He also had no idea I had been asking (several times) to get the bike the night I'd picked it up.

Overall it's not the end of the world; I take the subway to work and have a car to drive, but between my initial poor experience purchasing the bike, and this, I am reluctant to use these guys unless it's my only option.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Give all of that info to the manager. Any dealership worth a damn will be concerned about the shortcomings of their staff. No doubt they'd like to keep you as a customer if possible.

When these things happen to me I approach the owner/manager with my concerns and give him/her the opportunity to make things right. Usually they do, and a better relationship is forged. If they don't, I look elsewhere. Simple as that.

It is indeed the busy season, and Ducati is notoriously slow with parts, and then there are weekends and holidays, so several of those days aren't the dealer's fault. Give them the opportunity to account for the rest.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Be glad this didnt happen in August... you wouldnt have gotten your parts till September if that was the case.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Damn I might be having the same problem with my dash cluster and ECU.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts