Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of swapping wheels on the SF1098 (non-S model). The bike is making great power at this point so I'm turning my attention to handling.

Will be re-valving the fork but also considering swapping wheels.

There's a set of Marchesinis that I could get into for under $2K. Then, there's the BST Carbon option which is likely double the price, but also a consideration.

Anyone here experience what the Streetfighter 1098 is like before/after moving from the stock wheels to something lighter like the above?

I've never done a wheel upgrade before and would like to hear from people who have.

Appreciate any banter that can help me spend money wisely.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Thinking of swapping wheels on the SF1098 (non-S model). The bike is making great power at this point so I'm turning my attention to handling.

There's a set of Marchesinis that I could get into for under $2K. Then, there's the BST Carbon option which is likely double the price, but also a consideration.

Anyone here experience what the Streetfighter 1098 is like before/after moving from the stock wheels to something lighter like the above?

I've never done a wheel upgrade before and would like to hear from people who have.

I rode a SFS1098 and a SF848. You could definitely tell the moment of inertia was greater on the SF848. I've never had a set of BST's. One thing about the BST's is that they will hold their value a bit. You could always run then for a while and then sell them for 70ish% of what you paid for them. Its the number one performance upgrade you can do to a bike, as every 1lb. of rotating mass is equivalent to 7lbs of linear mass. So BST's mean your bike accelerates and decellerates like it is 50 lbs lighter. Then you have your actual physics around the wheel, which is spinning fast and taking on gyroscopic characteristics. Its just a lot easier to get a light wheel to lean over and change directions than a regular wheel. Not 7 times easier like the earlier example, but still twice as easy.

·
Bon Vivant
11,125 Posts

Lighter wheels do help and if that's what you're going for don't assume anything, get the weight of your stock wheels and compare them to the others before you buy - you may be surprised.

Unfortunately the SF is not exactly a nimble handling bike. It's great in fast sweepers but suffers in quick tight maneuvers - the light wheels may help a bit along with some slight geometry changes like lifting the rear and lowering the front (but be aware that you lose stability when you do this!) but I wouldn't expect much. Now that I've owned a couple of other nakids that really do handle quickly I understand not to expect too much from the SFS. I'm not sure that spending thousands on wheels is the best use of your dollars - I really love the BMW S1000R and Tuono V4factory and both bikes are much more nimble and quick handling than the SF- they are more stable and confident too. But neither offers the raw and visceral experience of the Duc. My point is maybe its best to accept the bike for its good points and it's bad points and enjoy it for what it is? I don't think throwing money at it will bring it in line with other bikes of the same genre.

Unless you just want to have a SF with the most bling - then get the BSTs and dont look back. :wink2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bunch of folks are going to the Rotobox wheels too. I think they may be priced better than BST wheels and they have ridiculous high manufacturing quality. Don't know if any vendors here sell them. A famous, customer service oriented Ducati dealer in Portland Oregon sells them if no one else does.....

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Bellissimoto is a Rotobox vendor. If I had to choose between Rotobox or BST it would be a difficult decision. I like things about both of them. If you can get a used set of forged wheels for a good price I say go for it. It will help the bikes manners in several ways. I've never had a bike as light as my SFS with this much power. I can tell the forged wheels make a difference compared to the heavier wheels on my other bikes. If you want a cheaper weight saving upgrade get a lithium battery. That will remove nearly 8lbs from high up in the tail section of the bike. And remove the heavy flapper servo motor from under the seat.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
It would be interesting to revalve the front fork and see what you think, in regards to handling. I had great success with my SF dropping the front 1.5 lines. I was up 7-8mm in the back.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some interesting points. Worth mentioning that I'm not one of those guys who is trying to make the SF1098 something it's not. I get this it has a long wheelbase and isn't ever going to be as flickable as some of my other mounts.

I have a Tuono V4R for track duty and the likes but what I'm interested in doing with the Streetfighter is more about unlocking more of its potential as I see it as a timeless classic.

I'm never going to buy a Monster 1200R and doubt Ducati will ever make a new Streetfighter (have weighed in on that thread, like many of you), so I'm inclined to spend time and $ on evolving an already great bike. Wheels is something I've never done so that may well be my next project.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have the forged aluminum OZ Piegas on my SF848. They are not significantly lighter than the factory Enkeis. But I chose the OZs because of their superior construction, fit & finish. The stock wheels aren't as refined in this regard.

If I had the SF(1098), or if they had fit my SF848, I'd have sprung for the forged magnesium OZ Cattivas. I prefer the 6-spoke design to my Piega's 5.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've had BST's on my SF1098S for almost two years now. The difference in handling and braking is remarkable, I had to completely reset my brake markers on the track because I was braking earlier than I needed to. You can feel the difference in every aspect of handling performance: braking, turning, and acceleration.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
If you have the non "S" Streetfighter, you will feel the difference with most forged aluminum wheels, magnesium or carbon fiber wheels.

I've had OZ Piegas, "S" wheels", BST carbon fiber and now have the OZ forged aluminum WSBK wheels on the Streetfighter - now they are on my 1098.

DSC06627.jpg Photo by Motowheelscom | Photobucket

The OZ Piega wheels are lighter than non "S" wheels but slightly heavier than the "S" wheels. I could not tell the difference between the S and Piega when riding though as the weight savings are mainly in the hub of the S wheels.

The BST wheels are the lightest - but at $3200 / set , they cost the most as well.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/Motowheelscom/motowheels streetfighter/DSCN0997.jpg

The WSBK wheels are heavier than the BST wheel but are slightly lighter or equal to the "S" wheels but feel lighter than the "S" wheels.

OZ Motorbike Forged Aluminum Wheel Set: Ducati [1098-1198, MTS1200, SF & Mon 1200] - Limited Edition Checa Replica

I had BST and Cattiva magnesium wheel on my 1199. They were almost the same weight - with the edge going to the BST wheels. Hard to tell the difference when riding though. I thought the Cattiva's looked better.

-M

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
again if the idea is to gain performance by reducing weight you might be surprised. The factory forged Marchesinis are very light wheels.
If you can find a set of used Marchesinis from an SFS, that is a good cost effective way to go...I bought a set off of eBay for $1200 shipped and sold the Enkeis for $500...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got a line on a new (never used as the guy went carbon BST off showroom floor) set of Marchesinis off a superbike 1098S. Black ones with the red stripe around them.

Not sure if they are the same as the SF1098S wheels but look like they might be. Savings over stock Superbike 1098 wheels is said to be about 4.5lbs combined. Assuming it would be similar weight savings for the SF1098 vs SF1098S swap.

Decisions decisions. Appreciate the testimonials from our well informed collective.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
If you can find a set of used Marchesinis from an SFS that is a good cost effective way to go...I bought a set off of eBay for $1200 shipped and sold the Enkeis for $500...

Oh, See? I knew someone was smart around here. I had just been hoping it was me. :smile2:

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've got a line on a new (never used as the guy went carbon BST off showroom floor) set of Marchesinis off a superbike 1098S. Black ones with the red stripe around them.

Not sure if they are the same as the SF1098S wheels but look like they might be. Savings over stock Superbike 1098 wheels is said to be about 4.5lbs combined. Assuming it would be similar weight savings for the SF1098 vs SF1098S swap.

Decisions decisions. Appreciate the testimonials from our well informed collective.
I believe those are the same wheels as the SF1098S.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts