Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,068 Posts
Think of it like your brake light switches. It’s possible to lightly touch your levers and have your brake light come on with out actually braking. Same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
When you clutchless shift ...
What is the benefit of clutchless shift?

Think of it like your brake light switches. It’s possible to lightly touch your levers and have your brake light come on with out actually braking. Same thing.
That's a legit tactic to get insurance to pay for a new bike when I fancy one. My neck and back are getting sore though so I use it sparingly.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
What is the benefit of clutchless shift?
it's faster than normal shifting... and it's not really hard (takes a bit of practice). I'm sure the really good quickshifters are faster... but the last QS bike I rode was the 18 (I think) R1200GS and that quickshifter was definitely slower than clutchless (I'd not have wanted it on my bike if I was buying the GS... it kindof sucked).

I was reading about the SFv4 quickshifter and it sounds like it's more advanced than most designs... should allow it to shift/blip cleaner/faster under wider conditions than older qs's... when it's properly set up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As mentioned above By DaveK, I think the technique Bengi is using is what I used to do before quick shifters existed. When I used to race I would never use the clutch when upshifting , only on the start and downshifting. I would load the shifter just enough to not change gears until I quickly chopped throttle just a tiny bit. The tranny would snick into the next gear with nary a break in drive. I had this perfected and could shave up to 5 to 7 tenths of a second on a 2 mile track.
I don’t think this works very well with modern quick shifters. Since I have had the SF I had to make a few adjustments to the shift lever to ensure I don’t load the shifter and making myself move my foot in a deliberate manner when I want to shift up or down.. Maybe try that Bengi.. I am sure you have tried many techniques, hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Wow, where did you go? That’s a long weekend ride... a testament on how comfortable this bike is...
We left SeNM, headed over the Sacramento Mountains by Cloudcroft, across White Sands to Cruces, then up towards T or C, across the 152 into the Gila/Emory Pass to Silver City, then up towards Glenwood on 180, across 78 towards the Mule Creek pass, out to 191 into Safford Az, then the next day Safford up 191/666 to Alpine AZ, and back down 180 to Silver City. It's one of our annual rides. I'll do Colorado in july, the dragon in August, and probably Arkansas in September.

I did get 40 mpg on one tank, the fuel light is entirely pessimistic, it comes on at 2.5 gallons used. My last tank was light on at 87 miles, then 34 miles into reserve, took 3.6 at that point. That was 90 mph cruising with a bad headwind.

If you ride this thing carrying speed, rolling on/off but not redlining each gear, she'll get 37 to 40mpg.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts