Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put about 200 miles on my SF V4S so far, I really like everything about the bike except for one thing. The Ducati Quick Shifter (DQS) doesn't work well for me. It cuts the engine but doesn't upshift about a third of the time. This is horrible while running hard. I adjusted the shifter lower to make the pull up to a higher gear easier and that helped a little, but it was still what I would call unacceptable. I think it needs a lower leverage ratio so the move on the shifter is smaller relative to the turn on the shift rod, but on the SF V4S this isn't adjustable. Yesterday I switched it to GP shift (1-up, 5-down), which I actually prefer anyway, thinking pushing down to upshift would help. This was very easy and only took a few minutes, but no dice, it still miss-shifts about a third of the time. Sometimes it also gets a false neutral between 4th and 5th. I'm very familiar with Quick Shifters as my Panigale 1199 had one, as did my S1000RR. On both bikes they performed flawlessly, but those also only acted on the upshifts, while the SF V4S works on both up and downshifts. Bottom line, I'm going to ultimately find this unacceptable and will have to do something about it. Maybe a new adjustable set of rear sets?

Have other SF V4 or Panigale V4 owners experienced this poor DQS action?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hmmm, Interesting. I have 300 miles on my bike and have had that happen only twice. Both times I chalked it up to my not putting enough pressure on the lever while upshifting as it only happened to me upshifting. Both times were on my first ride with maybe 10 to 15 miles on the bike.. since those two time which happened with miles of each other I consciously made an effort to use more force and it hasn’t happened again. BUT it sure feels like I am having to put a good amount of force on the lever to make it not happen.... Have been away from the bike a few weeks, will be riding it again this coming week. I happened to be riding with a good buddy on his V4 Panigale And I mentioned what had happened. He commented that on his bike in the beginning he had a few times it didn’t work or had false neutrals. He said that after a thousand miles are so, he realized he wasn’t having that issue anymore and that the lever was a lot smoother to operate and didn’t require as much force... he figured it just took a while to wear in.?.?
Because of his comment I haven’t been to worried about it... curious to see if it smooths out as the tranny Wears in... he did say after the first service (new oil). He thought it felt better... not sure if that is actually what happened are his imagination though...

will ride the bike more this week and pay close attention to it, Will let you know if it feels like it gets better are not...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes I am having the same problem and thought it was me. Like you I had an S1000RR and its quick shifter up was flawless. But my last bike was a Hyper 821. I had a riding habit of clutch-less upshifts on the Hyper. I would load the shifter with upward pressure and snick it up a gear. It worked great even when riding hard. But now I have a bad habit of putting upward pressure on the shifter. Not enough for the SF to change gears but definitely enough for the quick shifter to hit its pause mode before gear changes. Its funky. Its not a false neutral. The bike does not spike in rpm’s. Its more of a fuel cut and is horrible when riding hard or above 10k in RPM’s.

Im not ready to disable it. But I have been really conscious of not putting pressure on the shifter, foot position and and only engaging when I want to shift. But with that said and bad habits aside, any quick shifter pause should only be a millisecond. Nowhere close to what I am experiencing.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I saw a post on fb earlier today, Ducati has a service bulletin out for the quick shifter. I believe it said the shifting issues were due to something being over torqued at the factory. Still waiting for my bike...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Go to Ducati.com under service updates, key in in the Vin. Mines on it, Vin 177. Dealer is ordering parts now. I found the QS to be amazing so far, minus 5-6 which is a little iffy. If i'm on it hard it's flawless, at less than 50% effort slightly notchy. Still better than any bike I've owned in this regard, but i'm sure the new part/new torque spec whatever will be an improvement. They're not issuing a recall for nothing. They want us happy on this bike as glowing reviews sell more

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ah thanks for that, my bike is Vin 165 so probably applies for my bike. Will have to contact the dealer to get that addressed...

So far my GS has worked great with only 2 foul shifts. I do have to be very deliberate with it so the new parts and lower torque should improve it a bit..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Update: Called my dealer here in Houston to let them know about the DQS recall and they were already ahead of me... they ordered enough kits to perform the recall on all the bikes the sold already and a few to come as well.
they will call me to set up an appointment when the parts arrive..

Nice when the dealer is on top of things.....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Update: Called my dealer here in Houston to let them know about the DQS recall and they were already ahead of me... they ordered enough kits to perform the recall on all the bikes the sold already and a few to come as well.
they will call me to set up an appointment when the parts arrive..

Nice when the dealer is on top of things.....
Did they give you any ETA? The AZ dealer said expect 10-15 days. None of my local dealers service departments are responding still, with this Covid stuff

·
Registered
132 Posts
I did ask this and he didn’t know at the time... He mentioned that all was back up and running in Italy and that it shouldn't be too long as they have received a few different parts orders from Itlay within the last few weeks. It didnt sound like it was going to be a long wait but you never know...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the information on the Service - Mine shows:

REPLACING DQS
13 May 2020
Recall number: SRV-TSB-20-010
Update date: 21 May 2020
Recall Campaign status: Open

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Just checked my vin and the recall is valid for the Multistrada's also
What year is your multi? Sounds like a bad batch of units honestly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't had much of an issue - Once in a while from 2nd to 3rd, but I attributed it to me switching to a GP Shift and just not hitting it hard enough.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to hear there is a recall on this as it was definitely not up to par. I'll make sure my dealer has the parts for my 600 mile service and Akrapovic install.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My friend checked her 1260 multi, it's on there as well. 2019 version.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll be getting the DQS service Bulletin performed at my 600 mile service in a couple of days. Also Full Akra!
Cool, let us know if you feel a discernible difference in its operation after....

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just had mine done at the first service.
Parts replaced under warranty are Part # 5521A291C Qty 1 Quick Shift and Part # 75840951A Qty2 Helelrman Clamp T50R0SEC21.

Unfortunately this did not fix my issues. The shifter does seem a bit smoother when shifting aggressively / deliberately. But if you put upward pressure on the shifter, not enough pressure to change gears, the engine pauses dramatically. If you release pressure the engine will return to normal. If you apply addition pressure, enough to change gears, it will change to the next gear and return to normal fueling.

I can repeat this issue over and over. Apply pressure the engine pauses. Release pressure and it returns to normal. Apply pressure again the engine pauses. Release pressure again and it returns to normal. Over and over and over.
Its not a false neutral. The bike does not rev higher. Its just like chopping the throttle.

The quick shifter initiates a millisecond power cut off in order to allow for the gear change. In my case it feels like that millisecond is extended as long as I apply upward pressure to the shifter that is insufficient to change a gear.

I need to spend more time playing with it. I got it back from the dealer last night at close of business so I was not able to go back and show the tech the problem still existed.

I will be turning the DQS function off until this gets sorted out.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts