Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since i dont want to spend a lot of money on a new exhaust system, and knowing that i can get something louder if i repack the OEM exhaust im looking forward to change the baffles on my SF. I've been researching around and it does not seem to be a viable solution..... mjs performance and A&R which are known for baffle kits and repacking exhaust claims they never did or that the cans on the SF are not easy to repack/change the baffles.

Does anyone here did this? can you share some advise? Thanks for the help!

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
look for the post from Blackie, he cored his.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not really

well - i checked it out but nowhere to find the tread which shows the how to or at least give the advice if it can or cant be done.... i just hope someone already tried this before and can shed some light - else i'll roll the dice and cut the cans and find out myself....! :)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Take the cans off - get a long 1/2" drill bit - drill out the cat honeycomb and keep drilling through the chambers - quite a bit more noise and, I found, a noticeable increase in oommpphh - I found no negatives doing this (don't breath the dust - and there will be lots from the cat material)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a little lost.... you mean you cut/drill the rivets off, took the back cup off the can and then drill it?

i was looking into taking all the original packing out and repack, i just dont know if the inserts are straight or complicated to take it out/cut it out.... just afraid i start disassembling and cutting the cans to find out i'll have to replace it as this is not doable.

but if you can possibly send some pics or explain better what the heck you did it will help.....!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The Streetfighter cans have no fabric inside them. The muffling is done by a series of passages. If you take the cans off and look in the end that attaches to the exhaust pipe you will see a dense honeycomb of metallic stuff - that is the catalytic converter and a source of big backpressure. You want to drill it out using an 18" long 1/2" drill bit. It is not necessary to drill it all out, just the middle of it so that here is a 2" hole through it. There will be quite a bit of screwing around to get the pieces of the cat material out. Once you get the centre hole cleared, you need to drill holes in the metal "wall" that sits behind the cat - drilling through this will open a direct passage to the first chamber of the muffler - drill 6 holes. Then , push the drill bit through to the second chamber and drill another 6 holes - voila! less back pressure, more noise, and no damage to the can exterior.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Streetfighter cans have no fabric inside them. The muffling is done by a series of passages. If you take the cans off and look in the end that attaches to the exhaust pipe you will see a dense honeycomb of metallic stuff - that is the catalytic converter and a source of big backpressure. You want to drill it out using an 18" long 1/2" drill bit. It is not necessary to drill it all out, just the middle of it so that here is a 2" hole through it. There will be quite a bit of screwing around to get the pieces of the cat material out. Once you get the centre hole cleared, you need to drill holes in the metal "wall" that sits behind the cat - drilling through this will open a direct passage to the first chamber of the muffler - drill 6 holes. Then , push the drill bit through to the second chamber and drill another 6 holes - voila! less back pressure, more noise, and no damage to the can exterior.

Thanks man!! there we go - now a few ideas kicking in - by tomorrow i start to tear the pipes apart and then..... it should sound like the garbage truck coming down the street to pick up the garbage in my house! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
gday guys,
ive recently done a stock can mod. and for those who are wondering, it is FREAKEN loud. the work carried out was a total gutting and welding in the 'straight through' perforated tube, same specs as a Termi system. while i had the bits apart i ceramic coated the outside tubign to resemble a Streetfighter S system. i personally love it, it sounds fantastic at idle, a little louder and higher pitch than a termi. the lower to mid sound is a little bit on the raspy, but top end sounds great! i can recommend the mod to anyone who wants to do something a little bit different than goin the usual termi way. i decided on this option as im a big fan of the stock look, and so far ive yet to be swayed by the termi cans as they look a bit smaller and sleeker, which i think goes against the look of the fighter which is meant to be chunky and sorta industrial. (if that makes sense)
i may be imagingin things but i got the chief tech at the Ducati store to have a go, but it does feel a little nicer on the on/off, def not a cure, but def not worse which really confused me as i was expecting it to get worse. im currently waiting out on the TUNEBOY ecu program to be released which will cure our bottom end fueling woes, aswell as binning the exhaust flapper and O2 sensors. the TUNEBOY thingy should be out round end Nov / start Dec.
photos to come :)

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Anybody else done this in the last 6 months? Blackie, don't you have Termis on your bike now? As above, I'm partial to the stock exhaust appearance but it would benefit from more rasp and volume!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I literally just completed the 'blackie cans' today for mine - one of the most satisfying DIY projects I have ever done !

The sound is great, deep but not too loud. I took the cats out completely too, you would be amazed at the weight of those alone.

All quite straightforward, removing the cats and riveting it back together were the hardest parts of the job.

I'll get some pictures up soon

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I,m glad to see my mod is being carried out by you lot. Yes i have the Akky cans on now purely because i like them & i will keep my stock cored out ones for spares.

Well done chaps i,m glad my efforts were not in vain...........:). I never thought the stock cored out cans were loud at all. Not as loud as the tiny termi cans i made which are still for sale should anyone want them for something different

·
Registered
118 Posts
I literally just completed the 'blackie cans' today for mine - one of the most satisfying DIY projects I have ever done !

The sound is great, deep but not too loud. I took the cats out completely too, you would be amazed at the weight of those alone.

All quite straightforward, removing the cats and riveting it back together were the hardest parts of the job.

I'll get some pictures up soon
I tried to drill just one rivet out and I was just sitting there with no progress. What drill bit did you use?

I would like to attempt this but was thrown off by hard was to just pierce one rivet.

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Use a center punch (or similar) to knock all the rivet pins out first then drill the heads off the rivets - makes that job much easier. I just used a good quality metal drill bit, no probs.

Yes a big thank you to Lord Blackie - your guide was ace with good tips like getting all the bits together before starting. Nice one !

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
<OFFTOPIC>
WOW BLACKIE...was your bike REALLY....RED?????I can hardly remember that one!!!! :)
</OFFTOPIC>

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Very Nice!!! Thanks to the Brits!!!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
<OFFTOPIC>
WOW BLACKIE...was your bike REALLY....RED?????I can hardly remember that one!!!! :)
</OFFTOPIC>

Yes Christos

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....before it was Matrix Green it was RED:D

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I tried to drill just one rivet out and I was just sitting there with no progress. What drill bit did you use?

I would like to attempt this but was thrown off by hard was to just pierce one rivet.

Thanks
As the man says use a drift or punch to knock out the rivet pins. One good smack will usually knock them out.
Have a look for some cobalt drill bits . They are not cheap but certainly better than hss bits
You can also use a small stepped cone cutter as i did.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts