Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am a Ducati fan, however, am at a crossroads in my life. Should I pony up and shell out cash for an SF OR a Brutale? Should I go cheap, and go 1100 OR a Speed Triple......sell me on the Ducatis Boyz.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
V Twin I'd go Streetfighter S ...for sure!
I-4 I'd go Brutale...any flavor but the 910R is sweet!
V-4??? Wait for the Aprilia "Tuono" V-4 early next year!!!

If you want to save cash...lots of nice bikes out there like you mention. My main "beef" with Ducati is the incessant need for some type of "inside" the engine maintenance every 6-12k miles. Yes, I know the new models are "less" intensive. Fine. Still, I'll NEVER use a Ducati as a daily driver/touring bike. I don't like major maintenance every 6-12 months based upon my annual mileage. My personal outlook. :)

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Still, I'll NEVER use a Ducati as a daily driver/touring bike. I don't like major maintenance every 6-12 months based upon my annual mileage. My personal outlook. :)
But your sig says you own a St4s...........

Anyway, have you been to a dealership to look at or ride the SF? What are your initial impressions of the bike?

·
Registered
2013 Triumph Street Triple
90 Posts
Hey guys, I am a Ducati fan, however, am at a crossroads in my life. Should I pony up and shell out cash for an SF OR a Brutale? Should I go cheap, and go 1100 OR a Speed Triple......sell me on the Ducatis Boyz.
I had an '08 Speed Triple with a nice Arrow aftermarket exhaust. I loved that bike. That engine is a lot of fun. I also really love the looks of the Speed Triple. To me it looks "tough" and I like the duel chrome headlights.

I test rode the Streetfighter last week. I liked it a lot too. I'm not as keen on the looks though. I would personally buy the Street Triple again over the Streetfighter, especially given the price difference. So to me that's a win for the "cheap" one over the expensive.

That's my two cents, but I'd be more than happy with any of those four bikes.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
But your sig says you own a St4s...........

Anyway, have you been to a dealership to look at or ride the SF? What are your initial impressions of the bike?
Yep. LOVE the bags for errands within 50 miles. VERY nice bike around town. I'll admit I took it on ONE 1500 mile trip. Less comfortable than my ZX14 quite honestly...despite the seat and bar mods. Vibrates quite a bit more too. Oh well...still love it! Want to buy it? For sale if you want it...unadvertised as of yet. ;)

LOVE the fit of the Streetfighter. Mean machine. :cool:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
GEt a couple year old brutale 910s, a great bike, I gave mine away practically , mvs in general and brutes in particular depreciate like mad. A nice 06 brute can be had for under 8k.

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks boyz

Couple quick updates. I hit the dealership last night to ride the SF. Its hot, no doubt. I'm interested in the comment about the "inside the engine" every 6-12 months. The reason being is I'll be using this as a commuter bike. I live in Chicago, and work in Chicago, so would probably put something like 20 miles each way commuting a day, city miles. The dealer said the same thing, its all about personal pref, and the Speed 3 can be beat pretty good. My only trepidation is the SF being "too pretty". Is that stupid? Also, looking at the Duc classics....as I never thought I would but I kind of like them after riding last night....2 cents boys 2 CENTS! GIVE IT!

·
Registered
619 Posts
So I'm assuming you've never owned a Ducati before. Is that right?

Also, if you live and work in chicago, is the bike going to live outside in the weather most of its life?

I love a Duc as much as anyone here, but I'd never choose one as a commuter bike thats destined to live outside in the elements.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1st Duc yes sir. Bike would be garaged. However, I will probably re-locate soonish to the DC area in a year or so. So most of the heavy possible commuting will be in the VA/DC area in the coming years. 1st year would be chicago. But as a Streetfighter is dubbed a STREETFIGHTER, I figure it can fight the streets (and the highway). I'm not buying the bike to pop wheelies and go 180 mph, but I want something reliable, and pimpin at the same time. Nice glasses btd.

A

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
The SF is ace. A few of the guys are running a 14 tooth countershaft to help the tall first gear which seems to make city riding a bit more enjoyable. The bike is very 'comfy', has balls of an ox and agility of a cheetah. It is possible to not wheelie this bike. Just don't twist the throttle all the way;)

The SC line is sweet. My dad has a Paul Smart 1000LE and what a great bike. Not nearly as comfortable as the SF but that classic look is great. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you got the cash...spend it! Buy the best you can.

·
Registered
2013 Triumph Street Triple
90 Posts
Couple quick updates. I hit the dealership last night to ride the SF. Its hot, no doubt. I'm interested in the comment about the "inside the engine" every 6-12 months. The reason being is I'll be using this as a commuter bike. I live in Chicago, and work in Chicago, so would probably put something like 20 miles each way commuting a day, city miles. The dealer said the same thing, its all about personal pref, and the Speed 3 can be beat pretty good. My only trepidation is the SF being "too pretty". Is that stupid? Also, looking at the Duc classics....as I never thought I would but I kind of like them after riding last night....2 cents boys 2 CENTS! GIVE IT!

I just went through this exercise for myself. So I'll give another two cents to this topic.

My commute is 15 miles each way with 95% of it on the freeway. I've commuted it on a Ducati 1098, a Speed Triple and now, a Buell Lightning.

I'll speak to the Ducati first. The 1098 did not like commuting. Traffic frequently slows to 25 mph (or slower) and I'm splitting lanes. The 1098 is not geared to drive at that speed comfortably and the engine would get really hot. Don't get me wrong, commuting on the 1098 was much more enjoyable than doing it in a car, but simply put, neither the 1098 nor the rider were comfortable doing that commute day in and day out. The real problem though (for me) was adding on the miles so quickly (meaning chewing up expensive tires and getting ever so much closer to expensive service intervals).

The SF would be better than a 1098 for commuting no doubt. It's more comfortable. But I don't know that it's engine is really any better for that kind of riding and I don't know that it's any cheaper to maintain.

The Speed Triple was a much better commuter. Not perfect, but MUCH better than the 1098 and I would guess better than a SF too.

But, my 2007 Buell is a PERFECT commuter. It gets 60 miles to the gallon (if I treat her right) and is extremely maneuverable and fun. It's engine is very comfortable with the stop and go and going at slow speeds and the service intervals are CHEAP.

So, my two cents are as follows: Get two used bikes for the price of a new SF. First, get a cheap commuter. I like my Buell but a Japanese bike would be great too. Then buy the other bike of your dreams (used of course). MV, Speed Triple, SF, Aprillia, Super Duke . . . whatever it is. You will get the best of both worlds.

Anyway, that's where I ended up after going through a similar exercise as you.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Alexs,

If you're moving to DC, you'll be within about 70 miles of Front Royal, the northern end of one of the best 600 mile stretches of motorcycle road in America: Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Not only that, but the roads that climb up to and down from the Blue Ridge are even more fun than the Parkway. (Try not to get a ticket.)

So, you could buy a beater and ride it back and forth to work, then spend your weekend on your dream bike on the Parkway. Head down to the Dragon (except on a weekend) and the other less-known treats of the Great Smokies.

Get rainproof gear so you don't have to carry a rainsuit, and you can skip out for a 2- or 3-day weekend with a tank bag or backpack.

I've been riding bikes for a bit, but only bought my first Ducati 10 months ago. An 06 Supersport 800 with 4000 miles. It's great in winter because its fairing really cuts the wind. I get no wind on my chest, hands, or legs. A naked bike won't cut the wind as much. Only downside: the riding position is hard on my neck.

I was checking the power stats on my bike and comparing it to a few others I've been interested in upgrading to:

800SS 52lb-ft TQ at 6250, 75 HP at 8250
Monster S2R 1000 71lb-ft TQ at ??? , 95 HP at 8000
Monster 1100 76lb-ft TQ at 6000, 95 HP at 7500
848 71lb-ft TQ at 8250, 124 HP at 10,000
Streetfighter 85lb-ft TQ at 9500, 155 HP at 9500

I weigh 230 lbs out of the shower and the "wimpy" 800SS has plenty of power for me in the canyons, even at 6500 feet and up. Anything beyond that is for pure entertainment.

I'm in the middle of a mad love affair with Ducati, so I might be a bit irrational about this. Unless your commute is up and down a canyon, I wouldn't recommend a Ducati for a daily commuter. On principle. It's too special for that. Kinda like making Angelina Jolie teach 1st grade.

If you just want to have one bike for both commuting and weekend rides, then I suppose a Monster would be a good compromise. Comfortable, rides well, looks pretty cool.

Me? I get turned on by the looks of the superbikes. I just don't know if my neck can take the riding position. So I gotta keep mulling this one over. While I do that, I'll keep enjoying my 800SS.

Good luck with your decision,

ape

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Dude, you couldn't be considering a more different group of bikes.

The Speed Triple is a decent all-rounder but is really long in the tooth engine-wise. Although, it's totally reliable and the facelift looks good.

The Monster is a fantastic bike with good parts ... the 1100ds motor is a peach. Plenty of juice to make you feel like a hero, and it's comfortable as hell.

The Streetfighter I've never ridden but I hear a lot of good things about the bike. I also hear a lot of "bad" things ... teething issues for a new model ... one rule of thumb is to never by the first iteration of a model. Let it go a year or two to work out the bugs of the new design.

The Brutale is HANDS DOWN the best handling motorcycle I've ever ridden out of the box. The chassis is soooooooooo good that it should be outlawed ... seriously, the thing is a RAZOR and begs to go faster and lean further. However, the in-line four nowhere near as much fun as a twin ... the twin's grunt is addicting. That said, the Brutale goes 166mph (redline in 6th) bone stock ... and it's a Tamburini design ... and it makes 140ish horsepower which is waaaaaaay more than you'll ever need ever in a standard bike. Off cam the bike is easy to ride but a bit vibey - at 7000 RPM hold on to your butthole and cover the rear brake. :eek: It sounds like no other inline four in the world and, no bullshit, CHICKS DIG IT, MAN. The Brutale gets ALL the girls. I bought my 08 910R with 6000 miles for a shade over $9K ... an S can be had for a few Gs less.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I would go with the Monster or the S3. I've never ridden the Monster but did own a 06 S3. For a 20-30 mile commute ride it worked great. The Monster I would guess is comparable except it is a Ducati (a good thing) I have a soft spot for Triumphs though. You can buy a used Trumpy in good shape for around 6-7K if you look around and I would guess a Monster 1100 for around 10K used. If you want new then you already know the prices.

You can't really go wrong with either IMHO. I noticed GIVI makes a few nice light touring/commuter gadgets for the Monster such as a larger windscreen that looks pretty good actually and some semi-rigid bags if that is something you might want.

Goodluck, let us know what you decide.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts