Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys to bother you with this question. I used to own a 1098R and sold it for a number of reasons - 1. hard to ride on the street 2. right rear leg got toasted on stoplights 3. Got scared on the future depreciation.

So now that I've sold it I'm pondering on either getting the SF or the R1. I know they are two different bikes. To help me w/ the decision, I don't really track but take her to the back roads and ride quite agressively. I'm not bothered too much w/ the riding position of a sport bike as I am quite flexible (I also spend hours in cycling in a road bike w/c is far more uncomfortable). I don't use my bike as a DD ever and don't really take very long trips (over 150 miles). So I'll be riding my bike on day trips only on Sundays.

I like the new R1 and the engine sound. I've read the tests and am convinced. But for a little more money I can get a SF (base). I've also read on the SF and am also convinced hence this email. I just feel the R1 has a lot of new R&D with it (cross plane, variable air intake...

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
well.. You can go to your nearest ducati dealer and test ride a base SF... I would suggest doing it.
I have no idea whether a yamaha dealer will let you ride it but chances are you have a friend that might.

Personally between the two I would go for the SF but that's me.

·
Registered
541 Posts
wow you sold a 1098R you had the ultimate bike. I can't believe your reasons for selling that puppy.

The R1 its a cool looking bike it sounds different now with the new firing order. The spec sheet is what I don't like about the R1 because it gain Weight and lost top horses. The R1 is the heaviest bike of all the japanese liter bikes.

The SF its an amazing bike it doesn't have the hp of the R1 but it has a lot more torque and is lighter than the R1. The SF is exotic and rare. If you want to be like everyone else buy the R1 but if you want attention and be different get the SF.

If you have time to wait kawasaki is coming out with a similar firing order as the R1 without loosing the top hp.

·
Bon Vivant
10,917 Posts
There are lots of comparisons you can make between the two bikes riding style, comfort etc.

But if you want a bike that's trouble free and runs like it should right from the dealer get the Yamaha! end of story.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Only you can decide what matters most to you. I switched from an '06 R1SE (perhaps the most beautiful Yamaha roadbike) to a Ducati Monster S4Rs so the spiritual uncle of the Streetfighter. I continue to find the naked roadster to be a much more enjoyable proposition on the road (and it can run at the front of the fast group on the track too). You can find my comments on the relative difference on my web site.

I too am intrigued by the Yamaha but think it is ugly because of the wide, Buell esque fairings and have no interest in anymore in a sportsbike for the road

·
Registered
395 Posts
Selling 1098R tells me you are not preoccupied with “getting attention” or “standing out from the crowd” and rather are more interested in “rideability” of the bike, and getting what really works for you.
I think an R1 would be a good choice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Since you are posing the question on a Ducati forum you are obviously not looking for unbiased opinion. Like Blawrence said, go ride a Streetfighter to see if the feel, ergos, etc. are what you are looking for. That is really what it boils down to I think. From your description, either will meet your needs perfectly. But only one will probably stir your emotions. Buy that one and don't worry about resale, neither will be palatable. My $0.02 and some change.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Well if depreciation is an issue go with the R1. It's really an apples/oranges comparo tho as the bikes at least in ergos are entirely different. A more valid comparison would be aprilia tuono, SF, brutale.

For ease of use, hold a reasonable value, and no maint issues, the R1 hands down (or the FZR if they still make it for more upright posture)

Chris

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the comments. I'm surprised on the unbiased views. Tempted on the SF but am worried about the issues in low revs and the heavy clutch. It sounds like a small issue and is typical of a Duc I guess after owning two. I'll try to test one today. Many thanks again!

·
Registered
233 Posts
The FZ1 might warrant a look. Its a (slightly ) tuned down R1 with a more relaxed riding positon. It made my top two choices...FZ1 and SF. I chose the SF because of the personality...which I coming to the true understanding of that that is.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I went thru the Yamaha champions school last month (highly recommend, btw, for track or street) and while we ran R6s on the last session we got to ride R1s. The sound is freaking awesome.

The only feedback other than holy crap was from a recent R6 buyer who was convinced he bought the right bike and glad he didn't get the R1.

Personally, the riding ergos of the SF sold the bike for me; its speed, great road manners and riding comfort make it a joy to ride on the street--you can ride it effortlessly or aggressively. When I ride a sportbike on the street I'm rarely relaxed.

I'll take it to the track on the 15th and see how I like it there...

Oh and the heavy clutch is apparently solved with a 129.00 slave; the gearing with a 14 sprocket.

The recurring "can't fix easily" issue seems to be fueling at 3500 for some bikes. Mine is perfect but it's definitely something you'll want to test out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good bikes to choose from......I am riding both so will throw in my opinions.

I came off an 05 R1 when I bought the 09 R1. I love the new motor and suspension (I weigh about 155#). The grunt the new motor has over the old is pretty eye-opening. I can chug around at 3,000 all day and the motor does not mind. Roll on the throttle and she just starts to eat. As has been mentioned, the new R1 does give up some top end. I think in most of the liter bike tests I've seen, it gives up about 10 HP to the other "big three" coming in around 155 rwhp. I do not miss this on the street (so far, anyway). I've added the Akra slip-ons and have their Y-pipe to get rid of the cat. Once I get the PCV, I will add them, put on the smog block-offs and have a custom map made. The new motor sound with the Akra's is unbelievable....think Chevy big block (not that sound is worth all that much).

Weight is another issue that has been brought up. The new R1 is heavy. If I move it around in the garage and then go to the SF, I about "throw" the SF off its sidestand. The SF is considerably lighter. From what I've read, a lot of the weight gain in the new R1 is required because of the new engine - stronger engine cases, a larger counter-balancer, etc. So, the downside is I don't think you will be able to lighten the bike up that much. Once you are moving, though, the new R1 handles great - better than the lighter 05 model. It is pretty easy to make directional changes and the breaks are good. They are not quit as good as the Brembo's, though, having to slow much less weight helps the SF I imagine.

You also mentioned that you didn't like the heat from the 1098R. I assume you know the R1 has an undertail exhaust too. And, the cat is right under your a$$....so, it is HOT. I am in Texas so the 100 F days can really be felt. That is the main reason I am adding the Y-pipe...not HP but rather to get rid of the underseat heat.

Fueling is hands down better on the R1. As I mentioned before, the R1 will chug around town all day long. My SF has the dreaded lean condition under
4k so "bucks and snorts" at low rpm. I am going to add the Termis and DP ECU so hopefully that will fix it. So far, my dealer has not been able to get the upgraded stock map to download to any of the bikes they've sold so I am not able to comment on that. I do not like the whole idea, though, of selling this bike with that kind of fueling issue.

Comfort is a little of a toss-up. While you are bent over on the R1, it does offer some wind protection which helps on longer, faster rides. And, you can rest on the tank if you need to. But, I could still probably go further on the SF.

Anyway, can't tell you which to get.....only my opinion of each. Either way, though, I think you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would imagine you are going to get some rather biased opinions giving the nature of this website.

One thing you should probably realize (if you haven't already) is that nearly any motorcycle that you buy is going to depreciate greatly, especially when considering the type of bikes you are interested in: high horsepower, cutting edge technology. As such the companies that make them are forever trying to improve upon them...meaning every two years a newer, lighter, faster, better bike is released. Making your top-of-the-line bike of yesterday old news.

That's why the Monster holds its value rather well, because the major changes don't come as frequently.

As far as the comfort issue is concerned, I understand that the riding position for you on an R1 might be tolerable, but why not ride something more comfortable if you can?

At the end of the day the R1 is a racebike with headlights, where as the SF is a street bike, with race technology. If you found the 1098 difficult to ride on the street, I would imagine it wouldn't be much different with the R1. My vote in the end goes to the SF, it's just an awesome street bike.

Of course as it has been said before in this thread, go ride them. Riding the SF shouldn't be a problem, the Yamaha may be more difficult, and at the end of the day what does that say about Yamaha not letting people demo their stuff?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry guys to bother you with this question. I used to own a 1098R and sold it for a number of reasons - 1. hard to ride on the street 2. right rear leg got toasted on stoplights 3. Got scared on the future depreciation.

So now that I've sold it I'm pondering on either getting the SF or the R1. I know they are two different bikes. To help me w/ the decision, I don't really track but take her to the back roads and ride quite agressively. I'm not bothered too much w/ the riding position of a sport bike as I am quite flexible (I also spend hours in cycling in a road bike w/c is far more uncomfortable). I don't use my bike as a DD ever and don't really take very long trips (over 150 miles). So I'll be riding my bike on day trips only on Sundays.

I like the new R1 and the engine sound. I've read the tests and am convinced. But for a little more money I can get a SF (base). I've also read on the SF and am also convinced hence this email. I just feel the R1 has a lot of new R&D with it (cross plane, variable air intake...
Having ridden the new R1 I have a SF. I have long legs and on the R1 my knees took a beating (If you are tall sit on one and see what I mean). They are of course two totally different bikes. I prefer my 06 CBR1000 to the R1 even.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts