Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all of you.

First let me say sorry for my not best english :).

I dont know how about you guys, but i noticed one huge mistake regarding manual for our bike.

When i tried to find standary factory setting, i was really suprised after manual reading. They are writing about setting our rebound and compresion by "click" sound, but there is nothing like that.

Then i downloaded updated manual where is correctly written words "turns". So i followed manual and then another huge finding.

In manual is written about "5 at sport or 9 turns of screw at comfort usage - rear damping.

But my finding is following - Manual is same like manual for "big" SF (1098), they just copied numbers. Problem is that from fully closed to fully open i can make only 2,5 turns at rear damping suspension. So how can they write 9 turns?

I already contacted Ducati about this issue, i got answer that they will forward my finding to responsible department and from that moment still no answer from Ducati (its already 3 weeks).

Please could you share your experiences with standart factory suspension setting of streefighter 848? I have no idea whats correct numbers .. :(

Or please at least share your own suspension setting.

Thank you very much for your help !

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also noticed the "click" reference in the manual. As you said, it is WRONG. The only adjustment that "clicks" is the bottom rebound screw on the rear shock. All the other screws "turn" (no clicks).

I found the stock setting way too soft, so I set mine up for sport settings in the manual.

I weigh about 205lbs fully geared (depending on how much leather I'm wearing and/or how much I had to eat the night before. :D

CLOSED = turned all the way to the right (clockwise)

These are the FACTORY "Sport Settings" I use:

Front Rebound - 2.5 Turns from full closed
Front Compression - 1/2 turn from full closed

Rear Compression - 1/4 turn out from fully closed
Rear Rebound - 5 "clicks" from fully closed

Spring Pre-load does NOT change

This gives me a nice sporty ride without being too rough. I noticed the improvement immediately on my first turn, much more responsive and "planted". I do feel it in my wrists a little bit more than on the standard settings though. I blame that mostly on my getting lazy and not using my legs and core to hold me up at all times.

I still need to get my sag/preload adjusted for my weight, so I'm sure that will help even more. I do like to ride aggressive in the mountains and canyons so I don't mind the extra stiffness.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm not going to give suspension advice to anyone for a couple reasons, firstly not being any expert, and secondly knowing just enough to know that suspension settings are far too personal to use anyone else's (except as a rough start).

Mainly posted to share that I stopped reading/using/believing the manual when I got to the description in the specs for our "Dry clutch".........:eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just a point,it is advised to set sag first and work from there
Normally, that is what I do, but I needed a quick fix until I can get my sag adjusted. For now they work much better than the "off the shelf" settings from the factory.

I'm not going to give suspension advice to anyone for a couple reasons, firstly not being any expert, and secondly knowing just enough to know that suspension settings are far too personal to use anyone else's (except as a rough start).

Mainly posted to share that I stopped reading/using/believing the manual when I got to the description in the specs for our "Dry clutch".........:eek:
I normally don't give suspension advice for bikes or cars, but seeing as how it was more of a clarification of the manuals settings I don't see any harm. (I have made that more clear in my post)

I do agree that everyone should set their suspension to not only their weight, but also the way they ride and the road conditions to where they ride.

Those Italians need some better proof readers. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great Post...I was playing with suspension over the weekend and I know exactly what you mean!

I was looking forward to clicks, but mine has none whatsoever (revnu, mine doesn't click in the rear rebound either). What really upset me is my rear rebound screw (allen wrench) is not even properly lined up with the hole in the swingarm so I have a hard time adjusting my rear rebound....arrrghhhh!

I'm going to be picking up the proper sized front pin (pitbull #2 w/ adapter) and I'll set sag first.

I did a lot of reading when I first got into bikes and even now, I'm still reading a ton to refresh myself on properly setting up suspension. I'm currently soliciting a few local shops to setup my suspension for me as well.

One last thing I'd like to point out. Check tire pressures. This greatly affects how a bike handles too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the manual was confusing :p

-Ray

·
Registered
635 Posts
Normally, that is what I do, but I needed a quick fix until I can get my sag adjusted. For now they work much better than the "off the shelf" settings from the factory.

I normally don't give suspension advice for bikes or cars, but seeing as how it was more of a clarification of the manuals settings I don't see any harm. (I have made that more clear in my post)

I do agree that everyone should set their suspension to not only their weight, but also the way they ride and the road conditions to where they ride.

Those Italians need some better proof readers. :D
Hey Revnu, just to be clear I wasn't saying you or anybody else shouldn't give suspension setup advice, just that -I- wasn't going to do it.....;)

The shyte we have for a manual is going to make comparing notes an invaluable asset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Good morning (or evening?) to all :).

Its great to hear i am not alone with this kind of issue, its really confusing when you want to start setting your suspension - according to each guide you can find on internet is written that you should start on your factory setting ... but what if you dont know him and your own manual is cheating us? :)

I also noticed the "click" reference in the manual. As you said, it is WRONG. The only adjustment that "clicks" is the bottom rebound screw on the rear shock. All the other screws "turn" (no clicks).

I found the stock setting way too soft, so I set mine up for sport settings in the manual.

I weigh about 205lbs fully geared (depending on how much leather I'm wearing and/or how much I had to eat the night before. :D

CLOSED = turned all the way to the right (clockwise)

These are the FACTORY "Sport Settings" I use:

Front Rebound - 2.5 Turns from full closed
Front Compression - 1/2 turn from full closed

Rear Compression - 1/4 turn out from fully closed
Rear Rebound - 5 "clicks" from fully closed

Spring Pre-load does NOT change

This gives me a nice sporty ride without being too rough. I noticed the improvement immediately on my first turn, much more responsive and "planted". I do feel it in my wrists a little bit more than on the standard settings though. I blame that mostly on my getting lazy and not using my legs and core to hold me up at all times.

I still need to get my sag/preload adjusted for my weight, so I'm sure that will help even more. I do like to ride aggressive in the mountains and canyons so I don't mind the extra stiffness.
I dont know how about you, but i dont hear any clicks even on bottom rear damping at his setting :(. Or to be honest ... sometimes i hear them, but its really so quit sound almost not noticable.

I Would be really gratefull (in case you hear them). If you could count them and tell me how many clicks = 1 turn? I think it should be around 4-5, because if i sometimes hear click, its at every 1/4 turn ... please correct me if am wrong.

Thank you all guys who could "translate" clicks into turns :).

Have a great day (night) ! :)

edit: grammar :)

·
Registered
36 Posts

Its great to hear i am not alone with this kind of issue, its really confusing when you want to start setting your suspension - according to each guide you can find on internet is written that you should start on your factory setting ... but what if you dont know him and your own manual is cheating us? :)

I dont know how about you, but i dont hear any clicks even on bottom rear damping at his setting :(. Or to be honest ... sometimes i hear them, but its really so quit sound almost not noticable.

I Would be really gratefull (in case you hear them). If you could count them and tell me how many clicks = 1 turn? I think it should be around 4-5, because if i sometimes hear click, its at every 1/4 turn ... please correct me if am wrong.

I can't tell you in clicks...but I know for the rear rebound (which confused me the most) I closed the allen screw all the way clockwise and i put a dot with a black marker on one side to track how much adjustment can be made. It ended up the rebound can be turned 2 full turns counterclockwise.

So I used this knowledge as my basic starting point (started rebound at middle setting which is 1 full revolution counterclockwise from full stiff). You can start in the middle and test. Rebound can be tested by pushing down on the rear tail/exhaust pipe and making sure the bike rebounds within 1 second to the starting position. If the bike does not go up fast enough, decrease rebound. If the bike rebounds too much and bounces once or twice before settling, increase rebound dampening.

From my research, rebound can be adjusted in this manner and should not differ too much from street or track riding. Of course if weight changes (like adding a passenger) or if preload changes, then rebound and compression will most likely need adjusting as well.

Compression is the one that really needs to be adjusted based off riding from what i gathered from my reading. It is best to go the same route on the same turn and preferably doing the same speed and adjust compression until the bike feels good...in order to find the the setting where it feels the best may often require you to adjust past the point where it feels good and once it starts feeling bad...dial it back.

Not sure if this helps...but it may not be a bad idea to have professionals help. I'm playing with my suspension settings, but i'm going to have professionals setup mine up soon. At least when i go in i can see how my adjustments compare with the pro's :D

-Ray

·
Registered
68 Posts

You are correct. There are small "clicks" about every 1/4 turn. So, you would want to close it (clockwise), then open it 5 clicks (counter-clockwise) to get the "FACTORY SPORT SETTINGS".

The bottom one on mine "clicks", but it VERY hard to feel the clicks - they are very light. You have to use a 3mm BALL END HEX to get to it, a normal hex key won't cut it.

Look like this: http://www.carbideprocessors.com/product_images/h/176/Wiha_36790opn__33377_zoom.jpg

I bought the tool from my local hobby store. A lot of R/C buggy's and what not use them. Paid about $5 for it. Get the longest one you can, makes it much easier to get in there and adjust.

Again, the Factory Sport Settings were a good baseline for me to start with. The Factory "Standard" Settings were WAY too soft and mushy in the turns. Once I get some free time I will be heading to a professional to help me set my sag/preload & compression/rebound for my weight and riding style. Just like my car it makes a HUGE difference when properly set for YOU.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Revnu, just to be clear I wasn't saying you or anybody else shouldn't give suspension setup advice, just that -I- wasn't going to do it.....;)

The shyte we have for a manual is going to make comparing notes an invaluable asset.
I understood you. :D

That's why i wanted to make it more clear that I wasn't really giving advice, but more clarifying the hieroglyphic Ducati Manual. :alien:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much all of you guys, you have helped me a lot! :)

Yesterday i already tried "sport" setting and my feeling from ride is ten times better than before (standart factory setting - comfort), just ignore bumps on ours road and just enjoy better handling and grip :).

Later i will try to find any expert who will be able to set up my bike exactly according to my weight, but i am afraid it could be problem in my country (Slovakia) ... in this country is sold about 50 ducati motorcycles yearly :).

Have a good day (night) :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
You are correct. There are small "clicks" about every 1/4 turn. So, you would want to close it (clockwise), then open it 5 clicks (counter-clockwise) to get the "FACTORY SPORT SETTINGS".

The bottom one on mine "clicks", but it VERY hard to feel the clicks - they are very light. You have to use a 3mm BALL END HEX to get to it, a normal hex key won't cut it.

Look like this: http://www.carbideprocessors.com/product_images/h/176/Wiha_36790opn__33377_zoom.jpg

I bought the tool from my local hobby store. A lot of R/C buggy's and what not use them. Paid about $5 for it. Get the longest one you can, makes it much easier to get in there and adjust.

Again, the Factory Sport Settings were a good baseline for me to start with. The Factory "Standard" Settings were WAY too soft and mushy in the turns. Once I get some free time I will be heading to a professional to help me set my sag/preload & compression/rebound for my weight and riding style. Just like my car it makes a HUGE difference when properly set for YOU.
Ahh, thanks Revnu..I never thought about using a ball hex. And here I thought Ducati f'd up and the hole on my swingarm was misaligned by accident (or is it?).

-Ray

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ahh, thanks Revnu..I never thought about using a ball hex. And here I thought Ducati f'd up and the hole on my swingarm was misaligned by accident (or is it?).

-Ray
I had the same problem with the hole in the swingarm - they are all like that, at least from what I could tell by looking at half a dozen different ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts