Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a few oil drops on my driveway for the past 2 months, i checked the oil pan, lower part of it is cover by oil stain, anybody has the same issue?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Either the sump cover is leaking or the drain plug (which should get a new crush washer at each removal/replacement) is leaking. What does the dealer say? This would certainly be a warranty issue.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Also check where the engine cases meet. Anywhere where there is grey sealant between two surfaces. Also check the cylinder heads at the base and at the valve cover. Also check the oil pressure sending unit and the neutral sending unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
The oil cooler connections have been known to leak too.
+1. Does the 848 use the same water/oil heat exchanger?

Also check the oil filter. I've had back off and leak.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still have to make an appointment with the dealer, I checked all the places you mentioned, they are all dry, I guess it would be the drain plug seal? I did my first 1k service at dealership, not sure if they replaced the drain plug seal. I will check with the dealer.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
More likely than not, the bike is overfilled with oil. The oil spot comes from oil dripping from the airbox through the crancase breather. So..check the oil level. For deep sump motors like SF oil level should be at lower line.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Where you take that ?

The consensus seems to be right in the middle of the 2 lines ?
Any tech that knows what he is doing will tell you that. Again this applies to deep sumps only.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
More likely than not, the bike is overfilled with oil. The oil spot comes from oil dripping from the airbox through the crancase breather. So..check the oil level. For deep sump motors like SF oil level should be at lower line.
It's easier for the tech to just pour in the entire 4 litre jug than stop and measure out the correct 3.7 litres...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
It's easier for the tech to just pour in the entire 4 litre jug than stop and measure out the correct 3.7 litres...:rolleyes:
Yeah.. well 3.7 is a full capacity. It fits a bit less actually during oil change.

·
Temporary greeter
23,089 Posts

Cheers

I'd venture to say that the OP's problem is not because the oil is between the lines.

Unless you are riding wheelies that is.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I'd venture to say that the OP's problem is not because the oil is between the lines.

Unless you are riding wheelies that is.
Yeah i agree, but ... I just jumped on this thread because i had this same issue, which scared the heck out of me.

Did oil change myself (ahem) without proper experience with deep sump motors, like S4Rs, 848, 1098, etc. Set the fuel level to be between the lines just i like always did... Came back in the morning after a ride (no wheelies or anything like that, just some spirited turns), and there it was - an oil spot under the bike. Same happened the next day...

Took the bike to European Cycle Services (in NY) they new right away what it was. One of the techs pumped some oil from the crank case to set the level right at the lower line. Haven't had a problem since.

But this is my story, the OP's issue maybe something else. I just wouldn't venture into bad gaskets and oil lines on a new bike right of the bet. Its just 1098 motors and 848, etc have been known for this.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, dropped of the bike at the dealer the other day, they found it was upper crankcase seal leaking, so the part is on order, they will fix it under warranty, bike should be ready by next week.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Okay, dropped of the bike at the dealer the other day, they found it was upper crankcase seal leaking, so the part is on order, they will fix it under warranty, bike should be ready by next week.
Excellent. Great to hear its getting taking care off. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts