Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hammer Down
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen a video comparison for the SF 848 on stock vs. Termi exhaust so I am posting the recording I took. This was recorded with an iPhone, not high tech equipment so you'll have to judge for yourself but there is a noticeable difference. The longer revs were to about 4k RPMS and the short ones were to a couple thousand or so. The ECU that came with the exhaust changed the way the bike reved as you'll noticed the first twist was a little shaky and the second wasn't much better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Termi kit with the slip-on carbons, is really great! The sound difference is big, as the stock cans keep the characteristic "Ducati sound" very low. And you can notice the performance difference... the power comes smooth and much earlier on the SF848. Especially on the highway with 4th gear the bike feels like exploding to the horizon!

I've upgraded recently to an MTS1200 so if someone is looking for this kit, please PM.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sweet sound gadgetech. I think you just might've sold me on them. Your bike sounds fantastic. How was the install of the ecu and air filter and all that?

·
Hammer Down
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ECU is the trickiest I guess but it's still really easy. Disconnect battery (I removed as well), disconnect old ECU, loosen 2 screws and remove the ECU. Reverse that procedure to put the new ECU in. It's important to pay attention to the orientation of the old ECU. I've got some pictures of the cam locks that are attached to the wiring harness that you use to disconnect and reconnect the wiring to the ECU. To replace the air filter you take off the cover on the right side of the bike (sits right under the tank/frame at the front of the bike and is attached with 2 screws I think), pull out the old filter and put the new one in. Now, my dealer did hook my bike up and there was an update for the SF 848 Race ECU and he reset the TPS and a couple other things. He asked how far I lived from the dealership and I told him about 10 miles. He said fine as long as I didn't ride too far. Some people don't think this step is necessary but I took care of it anyway.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
33 Posts
Actually the last step (dealer connecting the bike to the PC) is not necessary. I asked a Ducati mechanic at the WDW2012 about it... the ECU has been remapped already at the factory. On my previous bike (Multistrada '06) the ECU had to be remapped at the dealer after the installation, but this one is plug-and-play.

As Gadgetech said, the installation procedure it very easy- and fast to do. Btw the air-filter should be oiled properly, if the kit has been at the dealers storage room for a while. That will keep the dirt out of the engine. Easy to do, with a spay oil :)

·
Hammer Down
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the last step (dealer connecting the bike to the PC) is not necessary. I asked a Ducati mechanic at the WDW2012 about it... the ECU has been remapped already at the factory. On my previous bike (Multistrada '06) the ECU had to be remapped at the dealer after the installation, but this one is plug-and-play.
Out of curiosity, if there is an updated map why wouldn't you want it? I'm not saying it's necessary but I'm curious why you would not want it. My take on it is this, my Ducati tech is a Master Tech and has been to Italy (along with other locals) for Ducati training so I figure he knows more than I do and I'm not going to argue with him. I can tell you the bike behaved better after the updated map, the throttle wasn't as snatchy. What I thought interesting is when he plugged the bike up, the readout indicated that it was a race ECU paired with the carbon termis.

How are you liking the Multi? Pretty different from the SF but seems like a really great all around bike.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
It's essential that the TPS reset is done. What it does is tell the ECU what the TPS voltage is at closed and open throttle so it synchronizes with the fuel and spark maps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gadgetech: I just wanted to point out that the Termi kit comes with the ECU, that is already remapped. A great benefit if you compare with aftermarket slip ons.

The MTS1200 is great, not that the SF848 wasn't ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm slightly confused. Is ANY dealer intervention necessary after installing Termis or can the owner handle it all, including any necessary (or recommended) calibration?

·
Hammer Down
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm slightly confused. Is ANY dealer intervention necessary after installing Termis or can the owner handle it all, including any necessary (or recommended) calibration?
Depends on who you ask. I installed everything and my mechanic recommended I bring it by for him to reset the TPS and he also happened to find an update. They did not charge me for the calibration or anything.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Updates are almost always a good idea (except when they introduce new, unforeseen problems), but short of having the latest update - if there is one - it sounds like Ducati/mechanic intervention isn't mandatory. No doubt it's suggested, but I think you're saying that you can install Termis successfully without them.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Updates are almost always a good idea (except when they introduce new, unforeseen problems), but short of having the latest update - if there is one - it sounds like Ducati/mechanic intervention isn't mandatory. No doubt it's suggested, but I think you're saying that you can install Termis successfully without them.
If you have a copy of the service manual, you'll see that a TPS reset isn't suggested, it's mandatory. I'm surprised that anyone would blow off something that takes 15 minutes. I wouldn't think that the dealer you bought the bike and exhaust from would even charge to do it if you asked nicely.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you have a copy of the service manual, you'll see that a TPS reset isn't suggested, it's mandatory. I'm surprised that anyone would blow off something that takes 15 minutes. I wouldn't think that the dealer you bought the bike and exhaust from would even charge to do it if you asked nicely.
Understood. But both the owner's and service manuals frame several subjects as though they're mandatory when they're actually unnecessary. They have to be conservative in this way. Read their stipulations regarding modifications for one example. Ducati is very strict here, but in the real world nobody adheres to their supposed mandate, and warranties remain valid after upgrades.

I think many people have installed Termis without needing outside intervention, even though the manual states otherwise, and this is why we so often read about Termi installations on these forums because for some it works out-of-the-box and for others it's not so easy. So, for people like me, we're left wondering what's TRULY necessary and trying to separate the "musts" from the "shoulds."

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'd say it's pretty mandatory once you fit any ecu onto any duc... if your tps setting is off from what the ecu is set at then your bike doesnt know where idle is and your bike might feel like crap at idle. Why even bother taking the chance when it's such a simple fix?

To make it even better is that you can just go and get ducatidiag for free, $25 in cables, and just reset it yourself. Easy peasy and cheap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts