Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case interest, a gathering of seven MTS12's for a ride yesterday. Four of us gathered at this glamorous mini shopping center...

The other three we met an hour later at Woodland Park. On the way to this rendezvous we suffered through the sweepers of Jefferson County 126. This image is from a previous ride, but hey, would you want to pause here for a pic or continue without interruption the tango with the road?

OK, all seven of us are gathered in Woodland Park for the sweet ride to Guffey. Now, I only brought the cell phone, so I'm struggling for a little CONTENT HELP FROM THE OTHERS here. I noted to the MTS12 gang how we would pass through cold and high 10,000ft. meadows on the way to the Victor photo stop, and they kindly let me indulge myself with a one minute historical tale of what happened in these sub-alpine fields.

In the late 1800's the town of Gillett sprung to life a few miles north of the mining communities of Cripple Creek and Victor, Colorado. But rather than minerals, Gillett is mostly famed for moments, an event of August 1895... the only bullfight ever to take place on U.S. soil. The event was highly publicized. Celebrities from afar traveled for the first-ever event. Bullfighters and bulls were imported for the event from Mexico. A bullfighting ring was constructed. And it ended... with a near riot. Some believe the bulls were tired from the travel. I guess they didn't put up much of fight, and that's what the spectators wanted. Other reports note the spectators were disgusted with the abuse. It wasn't a well reviewed event. The meat was donated locally which appeased some of the locals. Nevertheless, never has there been a bullfight in the U.S. before, and since. So from a previous ride a few weeks ago with then and now perspective.

Here's the bullfight ring constructed for the event...

An empty meadow today...

The action in the ring...

Now this actually was quite a sizable town 120 years ago...

Hardy residents called Gillett at 10,000ft. elevation home. Seemingly every time I pass through on a bike I am chilled. The barbed wire fence here, and behind me prevented a slightly better "now" perspective...

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So what has happened to this ghost town? Things were in decay the early 1900's, but the coup de grace came in June 1965 when most of the ghost town structures were swept away after a heavy rain overwhelmed a small earthen dam reservoir that supplied water to the residents long ago. Here's the Catholic Church out in the suburbs of Gillett back in the 1940's...

Following the flood 47 years ago. Didn't want to disregard the "no tresspassing" sign, nor risk sensitive body parts to the barbs!, so from a distance. On yesterday's ride I swung the clutch hand over my head towards these remaining rocks of the church to point them out. I'm not sure those following had a clue what I was gyrating in the saddle for...

So with the preceding as a place holder awaiting any additional CONTENT from yesterday's MTS12 ride brethren, the Droid phone captured the southern slopes of Pikes Peak as we paused above the semi-ghost town of Victor. If you ask me, it is somewhat nice and appropriate to have three Pikes Peak models paying homage to their namesake. Oh, and what is not seen, is the gloomy and foreboding weather building to the west, which soon greeted us with a cold rain, and limited the pic count. Nevertheless, still a great MTS12 ride to Guffey for lunch.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Only regret is that I did not got a photo of the galloping horse skeleton in Guffey. CONTENT forthcoming...

Great ride Steve!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looks like a nice ride. Thanx for the story and pics, very interesting.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey Gang,
Can I play? Put me on the distro-list. MTS12 in Colorado Springs.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Bon Vivant
10,919 Posts
Rain or shine that was a fantastic ride and although I'm glad I don't have to endure riding in the rain very often I found this trip to be quite enjoyable.

At one point none of us were really sure what the weather might do - it looked like it could have been a massive storm.

Since we didn't stop in Guffey for pics I'll share a few from a previous ride, it's an interesting town for sure.

That 4x4 frame now sports one of the many vintage car bodies from around the town. The guy who owns that place is quite the character.

Oh yeah, the horse skeletons are pulling a paddy wagon, notice the driver...

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
760 Posts
Steve - thanks for filling in the blanks in the bullfight story (w/ pics no less). You 'da man.

Flynbulldog - great pix of Guffey on a sunny day!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Went down there again on Sunday. Sunny all day.
Saturday's ride was a hoot, Thank you Teller County P.D. for the warning not a ticket. (my two buds thru me under the bus) just kidding

greg

Bacon-egg & cheese burger,, on Sunday -- yum

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
760 Posts
There it is: the psychedelic effect on the pics! Thanks for posting these. And who is that fat old bald guy?

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
760 Posts
Hey Gang,
Can I play? Put me on the distro-list. MTS12 in Colorado Springs.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
We were talking about putting together another ride for this Saturday the 9th for those who could not make it last Saturday. I will post it over in the Rocky Mountain region forum.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We were talking about putting together another ride for this Saturday the 9th for those who could not make it last Saturday. I will post it over in the Rocky Mountain region forum.
Dave,
I sent you a P.M.

greg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts