Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it with sellers not having any documentation on service?

Just sent my 2018 R9T down the road and have been looking for another Ducati. I've always avoided the liquid cooled Superbikes due to their additional maintenance but have now decided that I should get one before I get too old to actually ride one :)

Been looking at the 1098/1198 models as I like the undertail exhaust and absolutely despise the exhaust box under the engine used on the late models.

I've inquired about several different bikes off FB Marketplace and each time I ask about service records I get crickets....

I even went so far as to inquire about a 2015 1199 Panigale figuring I'd work around the hideous exhaust but here we go again...no records. Owner has had it several yrs and moved losing any paperwork. How in the hell does anyone buy an expensive bike like this and not keep up with paperwork???? And then they want to price the bike like its had every service done...

Sorry rant over now, starting to think maybe I should be looking for a late model SS instead as it seems they can be bought at a price to include any needed maintenance.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
If you do find one that really interests you, these modern bikes are usually serviced at the Ducati dealer - and they will have the service records on file for the bike by VIN and customer name,... As for the owners not having the records - well, look at where you are shopping - FaceBk marketplace? Not the brightest bulbs in the box on there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you do find one that really interests you, these modern bikes are usually serviced at the Ducati dealer - and they will have the service records on file for the bike by VIN and customer name,... As for the owners not having the records - well, look at where you are shopping - FaceBk marketplace? Not the brightest bulbs in the box on there.
haha, true but trying to stay somewhat local and avoid shipping

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
As Rock stated normally these newer motorcycles would have been serviced at their dealer, But getting a dealer to give you any info may be a bit hard. I would guess they would but you would probably need the current owner to call them first and give them your name and let them know it was alright to share the info with you. Good luck with finding what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2011 Multistrada S Touring, 2016 Audi A5
57 Posts
I recently got service records for my bike from Ducati Austin. They charged me $25 (which I was happy to pay) to copy and strike out all personal info.

Not sure how common this approach is- but you might suggest it if the dealer balks when asked for service history.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Most newer bikes I agree owners don't have records. I always keep my paper copies so when I sell there are no questions. I also let them take my records when they buy the bike. I learned that years ago when I bought a Porsche and received pages of services docs. Dealer can assist with this in some instances.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm pretty good about saving all my stuff as I know it will help the value later on. The 1098/1198 seies bikes are awesome. The last analog bikes at least as far as the 1098 is concerned !!

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler Icon
20 Posts
What is it with sellers not having any documentation on service?
Guess I'm guilty. Sold my old Multi with no records this year. I don't think it matters though. The person that bought it was a Ducati person, thus well versed in the bikes, fixing them and didn't care. Just so happy to get my old bike, exactly what he was waiting for.

It's used and buyers buying used bikes know any used bike is a risk, it's probably got issues. At least when I buy used, I assume issues are coming (ie, put money aside for parts, help). Never know what you're really getting, even with records, and have to be prepared to go through it all, fix yourself or pay someone (Who doesn't do this??). So I really don't think it matters, but get what you're saying.

Truly best of luck hunting - enjoy it! Just be prepared buying used with some extra $$$ on hand. May get lucky and may not, never really know until you own it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I recently got service records for my bike from Ducati Austin. They charged me $25 (which I was happy to pay) to copy and strike out all personal info.

Not sure how common this approach is- but you might suggest it if the dealer balks when asked for service history.
You scored. When I bought my MTS, I asked the local dealer where it had been serviced for the records. They would only release them if the PO agreed. They said they called him, but never got a call back, so no records for me. They're happy to confirm any services done over the phone or email, but I have to call if I want any info.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've found that most sellers are selling them for that exact reason....they qualify for financing on a (...............) ride it anywhere from 1200 miles to 4000 in 2 years find out what a desmo service costs & tires freak out & dump it claiming 'low miles one owner' or 'buying house need cash' or my favorite 'don't ride it anymore'

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've found that most sellers are selling them for that exact reason....they qualify for financing on a (...............) ride it anywhere from 1200 miles to 4000 in 2 years find out what a desmo service costs & tires freak out & dump it claiming 'low miles one owner' or 'buying house need cash' or my favorite 'don't ride it anymore'
yep seen some of that so far as well as the posers who think owning a Ducati is a status symbol. Knuckleheads all..

I understand I'm looking at used 10+ yr old bikes and the risks associated with that. I'm willing to spend some cash to get the bike up to speed its just that I'm not willing to pay full price and then do so.

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler Icon
20 Posts
Another thing, at least around me, there just isn’t a lot of used bikes for sale. Thus the prices of what is available are up, and some way up. I bet that is what you’re seeing. Might be worth waiting a bit to when things calm down, as tuff as that is. Maybe a steal will appear over winter?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Even if you get a pile of service records, who's to say that one that did not look so good "got lost" and not mentioned.
You pays your money and takes your chances. Good idea to do your due diligence though.

·
Registered
99' 996
366 Posts
Even if you get a pile of service records, who's to say that one that did not look so good "got lost" and not mentioned.
You pays your money and takes your chances. Good idea to do your due diligence though.
Or that it was done properly in the first place. These are really nice bikes but most of them arent collectible per se. Short of buying a Supermono or Desmosedici, or a 750SS does it really matter? Buying a bike to ride I dont worry about it and evaluate accordingly. You can look at a bike and tell most times if it has been well sorted and serviced.

I looked at a BMW once and the owner listed it as great condition, no mechanical issues and all service records. He had a BOX of service records. Everything from wiper blades to oil changes and anything in between. But the VIN showed it still had an open recall... After that experience service records to me really dont mean much at all for something I plan on putting miles on.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Having service records in hand is one part of the question the other part is what or whom aledgebly DID the work billed?

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
people often pay no attention to the invoices you give them. i have detailed stories on mine, and talk the owner through it at pick up, but some just really aren't that interested. and some just don't understand it anyway.

i get lots of people tell me their bike has never had belts replaced the first time i see it, and then when i see their previous invoices they've had belts every 2 years at a dealer. you can tell because they were charged for belts. owner never looked sort of thing.

lots of people do lose them.

i've had new owners of bikes ring me and ask about history and find out the invoice that says "main bearing noise" is the one they didn't get given. got all the others though.

or people who get told i've fully serviced the bike previously, and when they ring me and ask for the history i say "yeah, i put tyres on it 10 years ago, haven't seen it since". and then the pissing and moaning starts like i'm the arsehole.

·
Señor Member
8,498 Posts
I keep all records and receipts for all vehicles I own, mostly for my personal reference. But on the times I’ve sold one, having those records helped make the sale.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
No big deal, depends on bike year and mileage. The 15 panigale you want what, a few oil change invoices?

For 1x98 if a major service has been due and you're not sure verify with the shop or use this to lower the price and have the belts changed for piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
If an owner has a stamped service book that's usually good enough, receipts are nice, certainly more detail but a stamp in the service book gives the buyer a starting point. And really, as long as that checks out then great...

No service history? no problem, look it over make sure you're happy with it and decide if the price asked takes into account a full major service, if not haggle to get the price right or move on, once you have it fully serviced and brought up to date it's reset anyway and you can move on and enjoy it, saving the paperwork and service stamps like a good owner should.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts