Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Ducati service manual on cd in the mail from pro italia. Why it only works on windows and I must use an outdated adobe product called svg makes no sense at all. Other than that it appears pretty thorough. I would prefer an actual book myself. Old fashioned that way I guess.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
I never got a CD service manual. Though I did get the owners manual booklet and a couple weeks later a "Ducati Card" from their factory in Italy lol. I guess thats just them wanting to make you feel "special"

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeah, Adobe is an embarrasment to IT that should be banned from all computers! It's really a slap in the face when you are installing yet ANOTHER major security update to that pile and they demand that you accept their f***ing EULA! Instead of demanding anything they should be begging you to forgive them for the crap software they unleashed on the world. I never cared for Steve Jobs but he was my hero for refusing to allow it on the iPhone/iPad.

And yes, for $50+ I would prefer a real book and a CD. I don't mind the CD when i'm just reading up on something but when I'm in the shop I Ywould like a book.

Michael

·
Registered
718 Posts
do what my friend did. take the CD to kinko's and have them print it out and bind it. you also can get it covered in plastic. works wonders when you can have it in your hand!!!

Just got my Ducati service manual on cd in the mail from pro italia. Why it only works on windows and I must use an outdated adobe product called svg makes no sense at all. Other than that it appears pretty thorough. I would prefer an actual book myself. Old fashioned that way I guess.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Somebody at Kinko's should get fired for duplicating copyrighted material! They usually won't do anything with copyrighted material.

A while back I got an email from a customer asking me sign a release so that Kinkos could make unlimited copies of my machine tool programming manual that they had paid for one copy of. Unbelievable! I guess she figured that I didn't deserve any profit after the first copy.
Michael

·
Registered
757 Posts
I never got a CD service manual. Though I did get the owners manual booklet and a couple weeks later a "Ducati Card" from their factory in Italy lol. I guess thats just them wanting to make you feel "special"
he didn't get it from Ducati (for buying a bike). He bought it from proitalia. You don't get these service manuals for free.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
he didn't get it from Ducati (for buying a bike). He bought it from proitalia. You don't get these service manuals for free.
Yeah you do, I have the CD and got it for free. Had it uploaded a while back, upload probably expired now. $30 for a manual fine, but I'm not going to pay $75 for this.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely gonna head to kinkos and see about printing al or parts of it. Bought my hyper used and the original owner passed on the owners manual and tool pouch, but I had to buy the service manual for $75. I've never bought a bike that came with a service manual.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Definitely gonna head to kinkos and see about printing al or parts of it. Bought my hyper used and the original owner passed on the owners manual and tool pouch, but I had to buy the service manual for $75. I've never bought a bike that came with a service manual.

THAT'S CHEAP! The Triumph svc manual that I bought 4 years ago was a hundred bucks at that time!

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I transferred the service manual to my iPad.
Best tool in my garage :D

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Will post instructions tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You can get a manual off the internet I believe. But when you buy the cd you get the feeling that it is a correct version.
I print off the torque specs and take the lap top in the garage and get it all greasy and oily .
Good practice to read up before doing the job at hand...
Those manuals that have you flippin back and forth thru pages or say engine removed for clarity...
or pics that are taken from wierd angles...
There are some well done photos of wire/cable routing , and lots of badly interpeted language...

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Would it have killed them to use larger photos?

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Transferring the CD-ROM to your computer and making the SVG files browser friendly:

1) Copy the top folder from the CD-ROM to your laptop (It has a cryptic numerical name that starts with a 9...) and rename it to something meaningful)

2) The starting point to open in your browser is the main.html file.

3) From there, you can pick your country/language which will take you to the Workshop Manual (wsm) or Spare Parts Catalog.

4) In the spare parts catalog, I noticed that all my browsers on my Mac could not interpret the stupid SVG format the drawings are in. So I ended up converting them to another SVG format called Tiny-SVG (SVGT) that was compatible with all my browsers. I used a free app from Nokia called SVG-Converted-UI and replaced the original SVG files with the newly generated ones (make sure the file names and locations match).
The app can be downloaded here (Win/Mac/Linux):

SVG2SVGT

I will post the steps to transfer to the iPad shortly...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for that. I'll try my next day off. Then if I scratch the disk I'll still have the manual on file.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Thank you for that. I'll try my next day off. Then if I scratch the disk I'll still have the manual on file.

Make a disc image in your computer too so you can make another exact CD if you need to later on.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Transferring the CD-ROM to your computer and making the SVG files browser friendly:

1) Copy the top folder from the CD-ROM to your laptop (It has a cryptic numerical name that starts with a 9...) and rename it to something meaningful)

2) The starting point to open in your browser is the main.html file.

3) From there, you can pick your country/language which will take you to the Workshop Manual (wsm) or Spare Parts Catalog.

4) In the spare parts catalog, I noticed that all my browsers on my Mac could not interpret the stupid SVG format the drawings are in. So I ended up converting them to another SVG format called Tiny-SVG (SVGT) that was compatible with all my browsers. I used a free app from Nokia called SVG-Converted-UI and replaced the original SVG files with the newly generated ones (make sure the file names and locations match).
The app can be downloaded here (Win/Mac/Linux):

SVG2SVGT

I will post the steps to transfer to the iPad shortly...
That worked great. Thanks for the help. Do you use he Ducati diag software? If so, do you use it on a Mac too?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts