Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Hey, nice to see you pop up on here. What I meant by "pricey" is that you guys do take your time, do great work but that comes at a cost. I have never felt that I paid too much for the service I received. It was more than I was originally expecting but, as I’ve come to find out, not out of line with other dealers around the country. I also know that every thing that is suppose to be done is done and done right. I've always been satisfied with your work and it's quality. My only real issue is for the extended time it takes to turn around the bike for a routine service. I've always felt that was a issue in your customer service. 12K took over a month turn around and when I had my master cylinder problem it took almost 3 weeks, 2 just to diagnose. I recommend you to others that want to get their bikes serviced correctly. You record for race bike building speaks for itself. I just want them to be aware up front that you will be paying for quality work, not cut rate with cut rate service. Also the turn around time is quite long. though this seems to be a constant with Ducati service. My comments, and this post, aren't meant to talk Redline down. I appreciate the care that you have given my bike since purchase. I want my other Ducati riders to have accurate and honest assessments of my experiences with you so they can make informed choices.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I like the fact that someone from Redline posted. I'll make sure to visit that dealership. Its good to hear from the employees and to get their take on matters.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since Redline wants to name names...

let's tell it the way it was for the whole story! I asked for prices on doing the DP cans and airbox, as well as a price for the PCIII and the dyno mapping. The quote I got listed the price for the DP parts separately and the PCIII/dyno cost separately, totalling it at the bottom. I still have the quote on my computer that was sent by email. There was absolutely nothing on the quote about it being a package deal, with any prices changing if the whole deal wasn't bought there. Their price was $150 high on the DP parts, and I called them back and told them what I could buy it for in Richmond, and their response was "go ahead and buy it there, I can't sell it to you for that"! I told them at that time to go ahead and order the PCIII and to call me back when it came in and I'd be right down. The response to that was, "I'll have it in in a couple of days". I didn't hear back from them for over three weeks, and was getting ready to go to Richmond and get the job done since they evidently weren't interested in the business, when Scott calls and says "where have you been, we've had your PCIII in for weeks now"? My response to him was, "what did I tell you to do when it came in"? You haven't called once, and it's been over 3 weeks. I went down the next day and got the PCIII installed and dyno'ed, and carried a copy of the email quote with me, as I've had problems before with pricing there. When the job is done, the bill is $100 higher than quoted, and I objected, and was told, "oh, you didn't get everything done here on that list, and it was a package price". It doesn't say that on the quote anywhere, and was not stated to be fact at any time. I asked Scott then if he had told Dave that I called to see if they wanted to match the price on the DP stuff, and he lied about me even calling, denied that I had asked him about it. Then when I talked to Dave, he acted like he couldn't do the deal, that it was below his cost. BS, I bought the same equipment from the dealer here in RIC, and they didn't lose money on the deal.

Redline, in your quote above, you ought to get your story straight...I didn't buy all of the equipment from Richmond, I bought the PCIII from you. You can't even tell the story right on this board...this doesn't buy you much credability at all! I'll be happy to post the email quote on here so that everyone can see for themselves how you didn't honor your word if you'd like. Also, for someone who's spent probably $30k on bikes and equipment with you in the last 3 years, I'd think that you'd at least be able to spell my name right.

To sum it up, you:

1) Overpriced the DP package and was given the chance to match the price I got else where, and declined;

2) Didn't call me for over 3 weeks after telling me that it would be in in a "couple of days";

3) Didn't have anything on your quote about it being a "package deal";

4) Lied about the fact that I called you offering you the opportunity to match the price on the DP equipment;

5) Last but not least, you tried to get me for an additional $500 on the sale of the bike, telling me that the price you quoted me was for an '04, and not an '05, when the only talking about the black ST4s, which wasn't even available in '04. I say, BS again!

I may be old, but I'm not stupid!

Tom Grubaugh

·
Registered
62 Posts
Redline...you, sir, are a liar!

Everything in your post is a lie, and you should be ashamed to even propagate such BS in print! If you want to throw stones, so be it! You're the one that begged me not to tell Richmond what you sold me the bike for your cost because Richmond had been complaining to the Ducati Rep about your sales practices of selling bikes at cost! I never said a thing to Richmond about promising to buy a bike from them and you know it. I told them that your price was better because I was a repeat customer, and that you were an Aprilia dealer and could sell my Tuono, and that was it. Why lie about "selling my bike at $2k over my asking price" when you sold it for exactly what I said I wanted for it"? If I had wanted to take your lowball trade offer that's what I would have done rather than paying for the new bike up front and leaving the old one with you on consignment.

If calling Richmond 5 months later and asking them for a price on the DP kit qualifies as "bullying them" into selling me the DP package at cost, that's a real new one on me. I can appreciate the fact that you like for your customers to be sheep and pay what you want, but I like to make sure that I'm getting the best price available before buying anything, not just motorcycles and other toys. I would think that if what you said is true that they wouldn't discount the price on the DP kit to me like they did...what's their incentive for that? It's funny, I've bought several things from them since, and they don't seem to mind special ordering items or anything else for me...and I don't have to wait 3 weeks before someone calls me to tell me that my parts have come in! I don't know where you're getting your info, but I highly suspect you're just making it up to suit yourself.

You reneged on a quote in writing, and you were given the opportunity beforehand to sell the DP kit for the same price they did, and you declined. I should have gone ahead and bought the PCIII from them when you didn't call me for over 3 weeks, when, in fact, the PCIII had been sitting there in your shop the whole time. Instead, when you finally called, I honored my end of the agreement, and had you put it on the bike and tune it based on the quote that I had from you. Nothing was ever said about it being a "required package deal" for the prices to be valid, or the price going up. For $100 you've lost a customer that spent $30K at your store in the last 3 years. I also wouldn't recommend your business to anyone based on the fact that you tried to screw me for $500 on the price of the bike when I showed up to pick it up, saying that you never quoted me that price. In fact, I called you before I came down and verified the price with you on the phone. Your BS story about it being a price on an '04 was just that, as we had never talked or negotiated about anything other than the new black '05 on the floor.

You made the statement that day after selling me the bike at cost that "this is why I like to put everything in writing", and I agreed totally with you on that. That is exactly why I had you put your quote on the equipment in writing, and you still reneged on it! That's fine with me, the $100 you got me for cost you my business and bought a whole bunch of ill will. I've been a salesman all my life, and everyone makes mistakes. The difference between me and you, was that if I made a mistake, I always honored my word and ate the mistake to keep the customer happy and buying more from me. You have misrepresented your product's prices and lied to me on more than one occasion, just as you're lying in the above message.

Buyer beware...Redline speaks "with forked tongue". By the way, the Aprilia board has several people on it who have bought bikes from you that are terribly unhappy with the way they were treated as well. Especially the ones that bought from out of town off your Bike Trader ads. Perhaps you should go on that board and straighten them out about how you treated them as you did there as well? I guess I'm not the only one, am I?

I love my Ducati, but trying to deal with dealers that either can't take care of the bike properly or try to take advantage on every occasion just isn't worth it. No wonder Ducati sales are suffering as much as they are. That new BMW K1200GT is looking awfully good to me right now, and there are BMW dealers around that can service the product properly without having to misrepresent what they do to make a buck!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Moderator Speaking Here!

I don't mean to be sour grapes gentlemen....but as I fully enjoy the content of the messages and appreciate the fact that Redline is willing to rebutt on his behalf and plead his case as most dealers won't....and I enjoy factual statements of actual goings on between consumer and provider to learn from....I would encourage the line to be stopped at name calling type practises on all parties behalves to save the civility of this forum...we as a community do not generally or specifically allow liable or slanderous type conjecture to occur or continue and I would hate for this thread to be edited or moderated otherwise.....so please keep it civil and factual!

thank you,
The Managment

·
Registered
62 Posts
Zoom, I'll be happy to comply...

I've been on here for quite a while with no problems and appreciate the civility of the board. It's an excellent place for picking up straight and useful information without the attached attitudes that you see in so many other places. I appreciate the board and have no problems with anyone else or anything else...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
grabdawg said:
I've been on here for quite a while with no problems and appreciate the civility of the board. It's an excellent place for picking up straight and useful information without the attached attitudes that you see in so many other places. I appreciate the board and have no problems with anyone else or anything else...
thank you!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Fyi-keep It Civil!

This thread was pulled origionally.I am just gently reminding the whole public to help keep this thread civil with any further responses from here on out.There is the potential for great information within as the thread origionally started out in nature,and I would appreciate it if that demeanor and level of information continued!

·
Registered
260 Posts
redline

Redline1 said:
Everything I have written can be confirmed by MotoEuropa. I've supported my point with no name calling and have defended my shop with honesty and integrity. I'm sorry again that I could not meet your needs and have lost your business. Redline
Of course, you have MY business. I've always been more than satisfied. I may even let you work on my BMW and Harley when the time comes. Come to think of it, I probably need some tires for the Harley.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Redline1 said:
Everything I have written can be confirmed by MotoEuropa. I've supported my point with no name calling and have defended my shop with honesty and integrity. I'm sorry again that I could not meet your needs and have lost your business. Redline
I think right or wrong Redline should be recognized for being willing to post as a dealer .... I don't see many dealers posting .... good or bad

·
Registered
284 Posts
besides....how is just south of Baltimore more convenient than Gaithersburg from Frederick?....Battley's would seem a helluva lot more convenient to me!
Battley's lost my patronage when they told me that their "mechanics don't like to do work on old chopped Ducatis." :confused: WTF!!! Explain that to me....sounded like they didn't want my $$$. She is only a CR in SP clothing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Since I stumbled upon this thread, I feel compelled to post. This is just an opinion, but I would rather not get in any shouting match with anyone over this, so if you're a dealer looking at this, please don't post a reply.

I took my 2004 MTS up to Redline in Yorktown back in Mid-May. I had bought the machine from Motoeuropa back in Mid-April. The bike had a leaking exhaust. Now the only problem I identified was the leaking exhaust, and later on I noticed the bike was burning oil, but I never mentioned that to the people at Redline, so I don't feel I can hold them responsible for that.

When I took the bike there, they said they would look at the exhaust, and that it would take about two weeks to fix b/c they were backed up. Understandable.....but, after about two weeks I had to call them to ask about my bike. They said again, they were backed up and would get on it. They also said the bike was a quart low, and I had them change the oil. They also up front suggested that I put a PCIII on the bike and have it Dyno'd. I declined b/c my MTS had the exhaust with the ECU put on it, and it was running smoothly. When I picked the bike up a week later, I noticed on the ride home the exhaust was still leaking, and now a nice plume of bluish/gray smoke came out the bike.

I took the bike back, they acknowledged and said they would fix it. Well, about 3, 3 1/2 weeks went by: NO call from them. I called them about the bike, and they said they would fix it and have it ready the next day. I picked the bike up the next day, and after unloading the bike at my place and riding it, the problem still existed. Needless to say, I took the bike to motoeuropa in Richmond, and there I noted both problems: the exhaust and the bike burning oil. They ID'd that the bike was one affected by the valve guide problem, and within about two weeks they called me to inform me about where they were with the bike and what the plan was.

Lesson learned? Just spending time at the shop in both Richmond and Yorktown, if you want to do performance upgrades, Yorktown primarily deals with this. Honestly, I think they are short Ducati mechanics. But they are very willing and open to discuss performance mods (PC's, dyno,etc) but are very slow on basic maintenance. The only thing I find unacceptable is NO PHONE CALL whatsoever. Someone says they'll call you, I expect that courtesy from the dealer.

My opinion, deal with the guys up at Motoeuropa in Richmond. They're pretty honest, up front guys. They'll work price with you if you take the time to work them (then again, what dealer isn't that way?). I felt at Redline that they really didn't value my business. Granted, it was just warrenty work, but still, a chance to build a good customer relationship?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've come full circle on Motoeuropa. Everyone who owned Ducs that I talked to all said the same thing: "if they don't know you, don't expect much in the way of service". My neighbor took his GSX-R there for inspection, and the mechanic dropped his bike while riding it over to the place they have them inspected - really messed it up. So I had a pretty low expectation. I know the full story with Sam and Deanna leaving, and Motoeuropa getting kicked out of the Blvd location by the guy who owned the building (same guy who owns Velocity next door), them losing their best salesman and only Duc certified mechanic, then losing more mechanics afterwards. I know the new owner is the guy who would "bail" them out when they couldn't move bikes (independently wealthy dude) by just buying them off the showroom floor. Then there was the Mark issue. After hearing all of this, man I thought these guys were the suck™.

But...

I decided to see for myself. I've had some gas tank woes this past 2 weeks, and they have really shined with really friendly and up front service, and seemed very genuine and helpful. I think their prices are on the heavy side, and the experience is a little impersonal, but they've made a customer of me. I hope they pull it all together and keep it that way, 'cuz Redline makes my brainstem swell 10% every time I have to call them on the phone. Margo is so nice and knowledgeable in the service department too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ducati Richmond is really trying hard right now!

With T back in the fold they're really trying hard to do the right thing for customers. Margo's always a sweetie, and will get anything you need ASAP! Prices are still a little high, but I think they're honest about what they're trying to do, which means a lot to me. I'm coming up on my 6K service soon and had a talk with them about what it was going to cost, and if they perform as promised, they'll have my business for good! If not, I'll probably sell my bike because it's just too much trouble to find a good dealer around here.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
grabdawg said:
With T back in the fold they're really trying hard to do the right thing for customers. Margo's always a sweetie, and will get anything you need ASAP! Prices are still a little high, but I think they're honest about what they're trying to do, which means a lot to me. I'm coming up on my 6K service soon and had a talk with them about what it was going to cost, and if they perform as promised, they'll have my business for good! If not, I'll probably sell my bike because it's just too much trouble to find a good dealer around here.
I will say there aren't too many Japanese bike dealers I would take my bike to if I owned a Japanese bike. I think in general with all moving vehicles it's tough to find a shop you trust.

Motoeuropa's prices I find are cheap compared to places like Coleman Powersports who sell all kinds of bikes. Coleman is ALOT higher than Motoeuropa. When I've checked prices Motoeuropa and Battley are about the exact same. So I support Motoeuropa. Other places are Redline, Winchester and Speed's. Speed's I don't bother with as I'm not a fan. Other places I haven't tryed and don't see a need as I'm satisfied with Motoeuropa.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Virginia Ducati Owner

As a 2006 Ducati ST3S owner caught in the poor fueling problem, I stumbled on this thread hoping to find somebody in this state universally satisfying. A fantasy I suppose, but having a dealer on this forum who is paying enough attention to these bikes and their owners is impressive enough for me to want to give these guys a shot. What about it Redline1, want to have a go at an ST3S that's running so lean I'm going to have to trailer it there for fear of engine damage?

·
Registered
94 Posts
well, it got my attention - i was just about to ask a similar question, but the search function came in handy. I just moved here, so I'll be checking in to the regional board next...

Nick

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sorry for the delay guys. I shoulda thought to request a move sooner. I've asked Rob to move this thread to the Central-East.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Coleman Powersports (Redeemed themselves)

I have always had little glitches with Coleman Powersports in Woodbridge Virginia but I had no choice to take it there because they were the closest Ducati dealership.

I have had numerous bikes go in for service/oil change and other little things and it always took forever and was not impressed with quality, but this time they were finally able rise above the bar and do a hell of a job..

On this trip I needed one simple thing done and one pain in the ass thing done.

I needed the VA State inspection and my mechanic switch reset.

The techs really looked over my ST4s making sure that everything was in order and up to spec for the VA inspection.

Now, to reset the mechanic switch you must use the Ducati Diagnostic Computer.

Now for those of you who dont know or have not seen one here it is.

(CUE THE MUSIC------ OOOO---AAAAHHHH)

Here is a really weird thing,, it must be connected to the bikes battery for it to work. It has it's own power but it needs to be connected to the battery for some reason.

Now that he has it connected he selected my bike and reset the switch.

The switch did not get reset at the last shop that I had my service done at.
It really pissed me off seeing the little wrench on my display.

Thanks to the guys Woodbridge Coleman Powersports for getting my bike back to normal and a great inspection that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....

21 - 40 of 41 Posts