Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads up..
I've been noticing a bit of a clatter eminating from up front. Went by Ducati and it seems the bike needs some shims above the front fork springs. Parts are on order but can still ride her.

Tony D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Old news. There has been a Ducati Memo for awhile now about Ohlins shims.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just bought my 2012 Multi 3 weeks ago...and they checked for bullentins when I did my 600 mi service last week...soooo I'm guessing I'm good then.

·
Registered
173 Posts
"Fork Thunk"

Tony D,

Ducati bulletin 844, to paraphrase, if the customer complains about fork knock or thunk the remedy is to install a 0.2mm shim under the damper adjusting motor in each fork leg. A number of people in this forum have had their dealer do this fix. Some have undertaken the task themselves. A little invasive into the forks and it takes a few specialized/unique tools to do the job.
For a $20,000.00+ bike Ducati should step up and do a recall on this issue. Apparently not every one with the Ohlins forks appears to have the same issue and when I did my forks it would seeme as if the slack would not cause MUCH damage over time.

Ciao
Ducaitdyer

·
Registered
183 Posts
It sounds very much like a prevalent problem on previous next-gen Multi's, including my 2011. Dealer told me it wasn't a recall, but my concern about the clunking, often heard and vaguely felt at parking lot speeds, caused them to comply with the shim mod.

FYI, I was told it doesn't cause any damage, but just causes the disconcerting clunk. A good dealer should hook you up at Ducati's cost.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
602 Posts
Look at the Bright Side.

If you may wish to go with a more robust than 6.0 standard springs, the mechanic is already there to install the shims.:think:=free install!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Call

Make a call to the Nat'l Highway and Safety this is one way they look into recalls. Sounds like a random issue? Dealer's lmao.........

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
I just bought my 2012 Multi 3 weeks ago...and they checked for bullentins when I did my 600 mi service last week...soooo I'm guessing I'm good then.
Maybe yes, maybe no. YOu should ask your dealer specifically about the fork shim bulletin if you are concerned. I went by 'my' dealership a few months ago, and asked about any bulletins, recalls, etc. on my 2010 touring, as the bike had not been back to a dealer since the 600 mile service (15k miles and two years ago). They brought up the pannier latchs, and the hands off update on their computer, but nothing about the forks. When I asked about it, they said, 'Oh yeah.'

The bulletin on the fork shims instructs dealers to install the shim, 'Only if the customer complains about the forks', and/or asks about the shims bulletin. Your dealer probably won't ever bring it up if you don't.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Still waiting here for the tools. And be aware...the 0.2mm shim is the 'best guess'...and (if you read the SB) may not do the trick!
I know I complain...but fancy sending these bikes out like this. I heard it on my first ride and went str8 back to the dealer. At least he said, 'ah, we know about that one'! Not good Mr Ducati and Mr Ohlins!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Still waiting here for the tools. And be aware...the 0.2mm shim is the 'best guess'...and (if you read the SB) may not do the trick!
I know I complain...but fancy sending these bikes out like this. I heard it on my first ride and went str8 back to the dealer. At least he said, 'ah, we know about that one'! Not good Mr Ducati and Mr Ohlins!
Mine doesn't have it, at least I haven't noticed it in 1000 miles. And it's not a Ducati issue, it's an Ohlins issue, no doubt the fix done under warranty for those that have it is being charged back to Ohlins.

·
Registered
126 Posts
mine does this clunk BS all the time at slow speeds. I also like most have no damm rear brake. $21K for this bike and its got bad problems. My 2003 Yamah R6 has never had one single problem from day one. Its been totaled twince since I've had it and one of the times a car hit me head on. I rebuilt it and its still Kicking ass. Starts everytime.

I took it to the dealer and told them about the rear break at the 600 mile service. Well, they said lets bleed it first. That didnt work and now the fluid is black and no rear brake and I ride 2 up all the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a chatter up front on my new 2012 mts. Though, I am pretty convinced its not the forks. I inspected to front fender and that thing is pretty flimsy. My theory is that The break lines move a bit and slap the inside of the fender making the sound.

Since I can reproduce the sound with the bike off, (standIng to the left side of the bike and hold the front break and thrust forward the handle bars), I am going to test my theory by putting some foam in there and see if the clanking goes away.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tony D,

Ducati bulletin 844, to paraphrase, if the customer complains about fork knock or thunk the remedy is to install a 0.2mm shim under the damper adjusting motor in each fork leg. A number of people in this forum have had their dealer do this fix. Some have undertaken the task themselves. A little invasive into the forks and it takes a few specialized/unique tools to do the job.
For a $20,000.00+ bike Ducati should step up and do a recall on this issue. Apparently not every one with the Ohlins forks appears to have the same issue and when I did my forks it would seeme as if the slack would not cause MUCH damage over time.

Ciao
Ducaitdyer
Which specialized/unique tools do you need to do the job? I know a lot of guys have done the job on their own instead of taking the bike to the dealer. I would like to know if there is a spetial tool to turn the blue cap for preload adjustment or did you guys used a conventional 32 mm wrench. The blue cap is really easy to scratch and would not want to mess with it.
Sorry for my bad english!

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
mine does this clunk BS all the time at slow speeds. I also like most have no damm rear brake. $21K for this bike and its got bad problems. My 2003 Yamah R6 has never had one single problem from day one. Its been totaled twince since I've had it and one of the times a car hit me head on. I rebuilt it and its still Kicking ass. Starts everytime.

I took it to the dealer and told them about the rear break at the 600 mile service. Well, they said lets bleed it first. That didnt work and now the fluid is black and no rear brake and I ride 2 up all the time.
If I were you, I'd sell the 1200 and get another R6.....

·
Premium Member
12,446 Posts
Ohlins or Ducati . Who is to blame???

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Ohlins or Ducati . Who is to blame??
Ohlins.

But Ducati knew about this issue after the 2010 release.

And then they shipped the 2011's with the same shim problem.

And then the 2012's went out with the same problem.

It should be on the 2013's as well.

So you still have a chance not to be left out.

Dan

1 - 20 of 58 Posts