Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Something weird is happening to my bike and would appreciate any input from DucatiMS members more technically minded than myself, ie. everyone.

Over the last few days, the steering on my 848 has begun acting strangely, especially at low speed cornering.
The best way to describe it is, when entering a turn, after the initial lean and then as I try to slightly turn the bars, it feels like they're stuck and won't move. Only after a little more effort do they start to turn.
Unfortunately, this 'little more effort' tends to jerk the bars and oversteer the bike into the corner. It is more pronounced when turning to the left than to the right.

At first, I though it was a problem with my steering damper but after removing it, the problem remains. Then I though about tire pressure. They were a little low after checking so I filled them to the recommended level. Still the same problem. This has become more pronounced over the last 2 or 3 days that the bike is practically unrideable, especially at slow speeds through traffic.

The bike is 1 year old (MY 2008) with about 12,300 klm on it. It had the 12k service a few weeks ago, has new Pirelli Angel ST tires and the suspension settings haven't been changed in the last 10 months.

The dealers will pick it up this Monday (hopefully) and check it out. I've never seen this type of problem on a bike before.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Did they tighten the steering head race bearings at your 12000 service . sounds like the steering head is too tight.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
If not the bearings, check all the wiring/cables/hoses to ensure nothing is catching when turning lock-to-lock

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sounds like Steering Head bearings...if they were tightened down to much, they can bind causing the exact feeling you are describing.

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
My first thought was that you have a leaking/punctured FRONT tire..
Check your tire pressure first of all. Should be at around 30-33 psi on road tires in the front. about 34-36 psi rear.

I had that on my 748.. Took MORE effort to lean the bike bike, but once it started I really had to use alot of opposite force to keep it from leaning in too much. I still have the same thing happen now and again when i forget to reset the front tire pressure back to 30psi after lowering it for a trackday (I runt it at 27-28 psi when using tirewarmers).

//amullo

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.
The cables and tires have checked out fine. The steering head bearings it seems to be. Can't believe they over-tightened them on the 12k service.
I'm pissed. It's my commuter bike also. And the dealers are closed today. Grrr!

·
Registered
270 Posts
You have flat spotted your tires by driving mostly in a straight line, bike won't lean at first and then when it comes off the flat center it will lean right over. New tires and start riding the bike in the corners.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If the dealer really over tightened it, they should be OK once loosened up again. But, you should ask them to show you the bearing cup and look closely to see if has any pitting or scoring (brinnelling) from the over-exuberant maintenance. If there is any evidence of damage, you should insist on replacement.

ALSO, look in the shop and see who's doing maintenance. Maybe someone was practicing wheelies at your expense.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have a 2004 749 with 12500 miles that has developed almost the exact same issue. only difference is my bike sat parked in a garage for 16 months.

·
Registered
93 Posts
He provided an update on the "other" forum. The bearings were the issue. He drives in the rain over there and they froze. I think the dealer replaced them under warranty if im not mistaken.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts