Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this on another forum. I'm sure you guys may know more then.general sportbikers ;).
Not-so-quick rundown:
Tuesday: turned bike off when arrived at work, pulled key out and starter kept going (have video). Battery soon died and towed home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFpJ-QlkSSg
Wendsday, turned all switches on, fired up and starter issue went away. Did 8 laps around block and everything was normal. Went to bank, it would not start and no lights or anything. BUT herd a buzzing noise. Thought something of it but.the bike was on so I wanted to just get it home. 6 shutoffs later I made it home by way of popping clutch at 10 mph.
OKAY now to the important part....
Found my issue. Lots of burned and scathed wire. Now... I don't do wiring. I hate it, but if its as simple as plug and play then I can deal.
Upon arrival I go to turn the key and hear a buzzing noise from a small square 5 pronged device (pictured below) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X796wxN4SYk
I notice a wire set with seriously burned wires that indirectly go to both rectifier and clutch. Meaning, rectifier wire set clip off then burned wires, then clip off.
Burned set are THREE yellow wires that eventually run into the clutch

Above is the three yellows from rectifier

Above are the three yellows going into clutch side

So what I'm now asking is what I should do. No shops around here do Ducati's because they dont have spec sheets; I'm on my own and with no expierence (yet) with this issue I am unsure at where to attack/buy

Sent from my PG86100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody can help? What I need to know now is: What is the sub harness called? Its between the stator and rectifier.
I need to find one of these asap!

Or should I rewire one myself with the same clips and stuff with same gauge.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You sure those three wires are going to the clutch and not the stator? If my memory serves me, there are three wires that go from the stator to the voltage regulator/rectifier. That plug that melted,as you said, connects your regulator/rectifier to the stator. They are known to fail, had to replace the r/r on my mighty sv 650 a year or two ago.

The plug, over time, builds up resistance (due to dirt/water/corrosion/etc), heats up and melts. Or, if the r/r fails, it can send too much voltage through the harness which can melt the plug, blow bulbs, take out the stator, battery, etc. There is a way to test the stator, on me sv, you measure resistance across all three of those yellow wires. Then with the motor running, you measure the voltage across all three of those wires, or something to that effect. Some will just remove harness and hard wire the regulator/rectifier to the stator to forgo this problem. Hopefully someone will chime in that's done this on a duc before. Good luck.

Steve
05 ST3
00 sv6fity

·
Registered
136 Posts
The yellow starter relay is malfunctioning.
Take the the hood off & bend the plates a little so it
opens & closes properly. Just turn key on/off to check.
Or buy new relay, but it's an easy fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts