Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed a Motogadget speedo, which works well, although I can't get all sensor readings working correctly yet.

The oil temp reads 48 degrees Centigrade as soon as the engine is switched on (from cold or hot) and stays at that during idling and riding. I think I may need to change the temp sensor to one that his compatible with motogadget. I can see two sensors on the bike - one for the ECU and one for the gauges. I need the latter, but which one is it - the one adjacent to the oil filler plug, or the one below the oil level sight glass? And do you know the thread size so I can order a new one?

Along the same lines, Oil pressure always reads 7.9 bar, so maybe that also needs a different sensor. Looking at the wiring diagram I think there is only one and the data is only used for the warning light and not the ECU. Correct? I don't want to screw anything up by changing the sensor. A pressure sensor is also more expensive, so I am interested in hearing from anyone that has experienced something similar when changing to a different speedo?

I can't get the low fuel light to trigger. I have seen some threads on here that talk about connecting to LED, and I suspect this may be the answer (resistor), but before I start looking into more detail, can someone tell from this photo if the sensor is the thermistor type or float-level type?

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=933669&thumb=1

btw, new speedo:

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=933671&thumb=1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,446 Posts
oil temp sensor for the gauge is the one on your sump screen, single wire right side between the oil filter and oil drain.

oil pressure is beside your oil filler plug so if you have been trying to get temp from this sensor that will be the cause of your temp problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ducvet. I was not connecting to the wrong sensor as I wired through the main connector (orange/black pin 5) rather than directly to the sensor. But now I know where the sensor is! So I just changed it for one that is approved by motogadget and I get exactly the same problem. Start from cold and straight to 48 degC where it stays :-( I checked the wiring again and it is OK, so now I am not sure what the problem can be. I emailed Motogadget support to see if they have any ideas.

Has anyone else here changed to motogadget speedo? I still have the oil pressure and low fuel issues to fix. I also need to tune the RPM reading as it does not look completely accurate at the moment.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would disconnect the wiring to the sensor and measure the resistance when cold, then measure again when warm and see what you get. Motogadget should be able to tell you what resistance values they expect vs. temperature for the instrument.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
oil pressure sensor is just a yes/no - it has continuity when there is no pressure on it, none when it goes over 15 psi or so (spring inside the sensor). it'll never give you a number.

low fuel is a float in the oldies and will put out 12v, but it is on a time delay so you need to wait 20 seconds or so with the ignition on to get a voltage out of it. does the dash want 12v or earth to activate?

temp don't know, never used one.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't know if was changed for the FI Supersports, but for my '92 the fuel sensor is a thermistor that is cooled by being submerged in fuel. Switched 12 volts is constantly applied, and when the fuel gets low it is exposed, warms up, the resistance changes, and the bulb lights. They frequently fail. Mine shorted internally which blew a fuse. I clipped the wire and went without if for 15 years until I decided to change the sensor. It will probably fail again soon.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Motoscope Pro requires some pretty specific inputs. Motogadgets site recommends using their sensors. I’ve compared resistance on a Motogadget oil temp sensor and an oem Ducati one that would go in the oil screen and the resistance is very different.
Look in the Motoscope Pro manual for connecting a fuel level sensor, it spells it out pretty clearly, in a carby you can use a relay and get low level light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oil pressure sensor is just a yes/no - it has continuity when there is no pressure on it, none when it goes over 15 psi or so (spring inside the sensor). it'll never give you a number.
Ah, I didn't realise it was just a pressure switch - thanks! So I have now wired it into a warning light and that works - tested as light comes on with ignition and then goes off with engine running. One job knocked off the list :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts