Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chance to try the new 30K headsets, the Mesh Network works well, probably not as great as advertised but very good! Much better range than Bluetooth Intercom and easier to use.

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
Just ordered a pair today... what was 'not quite as well as advertised'. We're pretty much 100% upgrading for the mesh network (bluetooth is a pita with more than 2 riders).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just ordered a pair today... what was 'not quite as well as advertised'. We're pretty much 100% upgrading for the mesh network (bluetooth is a pita with more than 2 riders).
Best guess between 2 bikes on public mode mesh was about 3/4 mile. Occasionally for a brief period someone would sound like Iron Man from the Ozzy song.

Connecting to mesh was easy, push the mesh button or use voice command. Kinda like using FRS with everyone having open mics.

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
Best guess between 2 bikes on public mode mesh was about 3/4 mile. Occasionally for a brief period someone would sound like Iron Man from the Ozzy song.

Connecting to mesh was easy, push the mesh button or use voice command. Kinda like using FRS with everyone having open mics.
That's plenty... I'm less concerned with how far the net goes than how it handles hills blocking signal. Bluetooth sena's are a problem with hills because if the person out of contact is passing signals then the whole group gets disrupted. With mesh that should go away. I'm also assuming it'll be a LOT more reliable with more users (we sometimes have groups of 5 or 6... our sena's get pretty unreliable).

·
Registered
89 Posts

That's plenty... I'm less concerned with how far the net goes than how it handles hills blocking signal. Bluetooth sena's are a problem with hills because if the person out of contact is passing signals then the whole group gets disrupted. With mesh that should go away. I'm also assuming it'll be a LOT more reliable with more users (we sometimes have groups of 5 or 6... our sena's get pretty unreliable).

A few turns ahead on mountain roads it?s great, on the other side of the mountain or Hill I don?t know. It?s A definite improvement over BT.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Considering the upgrade, but only if the base has a dedicated earbud port. Can someone verify this? I upgraded my speakers to the iAsus XSound 3 (sooooo much better than the tinny speakers that come with the 20S), and want to make sure I can plug 'em into a 30K base too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Considering the upgrade, but only if the base has a dedicated earbud port. Can someone verify this? I upgraded my speakers to the iAsus XSound 3 (sooooo much better than the tinny speakers that come with the 20S), and want to make sure I can plug 'em into a 30K base too.

Yes it has an ear bud port. The base is exactly like the 20s. Actually you can plug the 20 directly on the 30 base and it works.

·
Administrator
12,912 Posts
Yes it has an ear bud port. The base is exactly like the 20s. Actually you can plug the 20 directly on the 30 base and it works.
So we can still use our 20s base/headset with the new 30K? That would be great to not have to do a whole new install of the headset portion.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So we can still use our 20s base/headset with the new 30K? That would be great to not have to do a whole new install of the headset portion.

I'm not so sure. I have the 20S evo, which has some of the new features of the 30K. The base is backwards compatible, but not forward. The new base will fit both a 20S and a 20S evo, but the old 20S base will not take a 20S evo. There's a plastic bump on the old base that isn't there on the new ones. It gets in the way when I try to slide the unit into place. I think maybe a dremel or a file will solve the issue. I have two helmets I use (doesn't seem right to wear my Ducati Arai helmet when I'm on the BMW), and before next riding season I will try to modify my old 20S bases. Not sure about the 30K though, so maybe it will work on the old 20S.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I'm not so sure. I have the 20S evo, which has some of the new features of the 30K. The base is backwards compatible, but not forward. The new base will fit both a 20S and a 20S evo, but the old 20S base will not take a 20S evo. There's a plastic bump on the old base that isn't there on the new ones. It gets in the way when I try to slide the unit into place. I think maybe a dremel or a file will solve the issue. I have two helmets I use (doesn't seem right to wear my Ducati Arai helmet when I'm on the BMW), and before next riding season I will try to modify my old 20S bases. Not sure about the 30K though, so maybe it will work on the old 20S.
I just tried the 30K unit on my old 20S base and it works. Speakers, microphone and voice commands tested.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I usually ride alone, and my 20S has the FM radio which is all i really use, along with some phone calls.

What i'd love to see from this kind of headset is better voice command features hopefully next gen.

·
Administrator
12,912 Posts
I just tried the 30K unit on my old 20S base and it works. Speakers, microphone and voice commands tested.
The left one is the 20S base, right is the 30K base.
That is awesome, it will be nice to upgrade and not have to change out install of the base. :yeah:

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
I usually ride alone, and my 20S has the FM radio which is all i really use, along with some phone calls.

What i'd love to see from this kind of headset is better voice command features hopefully next gen.
Lol... I looked at the specs and thought "why'd they put an fm radio in it... nobody listens to radio anymore"... I stand corrected.

Reactions: Gadgetech

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 30K seems rather awesome and the mesh technology is really the direction of the future. For now though I'm sticking with the 20S evo just because I have no one else who'd be adopting the 30K as of yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lol... I looked at the specs and thought "why'd they put an fm radio in it... nobody listens to radio anymore"... I stand corrected.
Probably heading off topic but... Is there a hands free way of getting it to play music other ran the radio? I keep some MP3s on my phone but it seems if it's not playing before i leave then my only option is radio.

·
Administrator
12,912 Posts
Probably heading off topic but... Is there a hands free way of getting it to play music other ran the radio? I keep some MP3s on my phone but it seems if it's not playing before i leave then my only option is radio.
You can use voice commands to play and stop music that is on your phone. Just touch the bottom button and say "play stereo" or "play music" or "start music". You can double tap the unit to do voice commands also but I don't find that to be as reliable.

Start watching at 6:57 for music...

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Lost my 20S unit and was left with 2 bases in 2 of my helmets, was considering another 20 or upgrade to EVO or 30, but instead I cheaped out and got 10R (not SMH10). Got to say it's pretty damn good, range is lacking, but also I don't miss the wind noise from the 20. Voice control and speakers are excellent (speakers are same as 20) and I have not run out of battery yet, but also longest ride was maybe 8 hours with it so far.

I may buy another 10R for my second helmet, although if there is a deal to be had on any 20 version I would get another one. When I bought first set was able to get a pair for $310, but when I was looking for replacement this summer best I could find was $295 for a single! Now prices seem to be dropping again on the S...

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
Lost my 20S unit and was left with 2 bases in 2 of my helmets, was considering another 20 or upgrade to EVO or 30, but instead I cheaped out and got 10R (not SMH10). Got to say it's pretty damn good, range is lacking, but also I don't miss the wind noise from the 20. Voice control and speakers are excellent (speakers are same as 20) and I have not run out of battery yet, but also longest ride was maybe 8 hours with it so far.

I may buy another 10R for my second helmet, although if there is a deal to be had on any 20 version I would get another one. When I bought first set was able to get a pair for $310, but when I was looking for replacement this summer best I could find was $295 for a single! Now prices seem to be dropping again on the S...
My group has been using the SMH10 for something like 6 years (to the point that battery life has dropped to less than one full day). I have about 75,000 miles on mine (neighborhood of 1500 hours).

Overall we've been happy with them, they are a bit clunky to get everyone connected at the start of a ride, and if we have 4 or more riders they can have some weirdness (sound artifacts, occasional drops, etc...).

But... the biggest issue I have is lack of volume normalization... one of our riders has either his mic volume or position adjusted so he's really quiet... when I adjust volume to hear him then everyone else blasts my eardrums. It's really annoying, he's fiddled with his mic but hasn't fixed the issue in the last 6,000 miles of riding in groups >2. Then the other annoyance is the sena gopro backpack that has stereo recording and two mono mics (one from the camera, the second from bluetooth) but isn't smart enough to put the camera mic on one channel and bt on the other, so you can't use the camera mic to record ambient or it swamps voice input and you can't fix it in post because both mics are smeared together identically onto both channels (media noob design error).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts