Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I'm sad to say it looks like I'll have to sell the Fila. Since my bicycle accident last December, my wife and kids are VERY uncomfortable and have a lot of anxiety with me riding. I totally understand this as I almost died in my crash as many of you know. It's very self centered for me to put them through this. My 14 year old told me she is so scared that she feels like crying until I come home. My 16 year old more or less yelled at me and left the house prior to my first ride since my accident.
Unbenounced to me, when I was on my meds (Oxy and Vicadin) during my recovery, I told them all I would sell my bike..I don't recall this but I'm sure it's true.
I think in a few years when the accident is behind us and the kids go to college I'll be able to get another Duc. In fact I know I will....

Any ideas on the best way to market this baby? As many of you know, it's probably the nicest example of a Fila around. Hell, I bet I have $25k in mods.

I'm thinking to market it at $18k or so. It has 10.8k miles and is mechanically perfect. Never once has it broken down as I brag about frequently!!!

I'd be curious to know your thoughts re: the best way to sell and at what price....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey folks,

I'm sad to say it looks like I'll have to sell the Fila. Since my bicycle accident last December, my wife and kids are VERY uncomfortable and have a lot of anxiety with me riding. I totally understand this as I almost died in my crash as many of you know. It's very self centered for me to put them through this. My 14 year old told me she is so scared that she feels like crying until I come home. My 16 year old more or less yelled at me and left the house prior to my first ride since my accident.
Unbenounced to me, when I was on my meds (Oxy and Vicadin) during my recovery, I told them all I would sell my bike..I don't recall this but I'm sure it's true.
I think in a few years when the accident is behind us and the kids go to college I'll be able to get another Duc. In fact I know I will....

Any ideas on the best way to market this baby? As many of you know, it's probably the nicest example of a Fila around. Hell, I bet I have $25k in mods.

I'm thinking to market it at $18k or so. It has 10.8k miles and is mechanically perfect. Never once has it broken down as I brag about frequently!!!

I'd be curious to know your thoughts re: the best way to sell and at what price....

I applaud your decision...more parents should act so responsibly. Just spread the word around, put it on classifieds here, Ebay, Craigslist..etc all the usual places it should sell fast.

·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you..

I'll have tears when she goes. It was a dream come true for me to own a Ducati.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Your bike is a classic, why not put it in storage until you are ready to ride again? Just a thought. In any case +1 on Craigslist I've sold two bikes there before better response than ebay. Cycletrader is a good one too.

Pricing wise obviously we always want to get more for our bikes, I'd say do some research. I've seen '05 999R's sell for as low as $15k all in great condition and low miles.

You can always put the stock parts back on the bike and sell the good parts separately, you'd get more $$ that way too.

Good luck on the sale. :)

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
I know what your saying. With my second get off being very goofy, our little ones tend to make a joke out of the tree incident. Whew on the riding panic from the fam.

If you feel that you'll be back on a Duc, then why sell a prinstine example? Get it ready for storage and blanket it or put it on display somewhere. From your post, it was a pedal bike accident. So, the Duc in the living room shouldn't spark emotion, right?

Otherwise, a 5x10 storage unit could serve and as an out of the way place to bury the emotions for a while.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Keep the bike. Just don't ride til the 'heat' wears off.

·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've thought about storing it. Could probably get away with this. However, I don't think I could look at it and not go nuts by not being able to ride her. I'm one of the guys who actually rides it....

I also like the thought of having it somewhere on display. How about the Gugenheim!!

Not sure where to go here...

·
comrade moderator
26,748 Posts
The market is in the toilet, Brian. Pickle it for a year, then see how we're doing.

If you HAVE to sell it, prepare too give it away, or part it out.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Hell, my older daughter is expecting me to GIVE her my 999R when I'm past being able to ride it! She'd kill me if I ever tried to sell it.

My worst wrecks were in a car (once) and skiing (twice), but I never sold my car nor my skis.

If you don't need the money, keep it. If you do need the money, return it to stock and part out the extra bits, and maybe keep the bike.

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Daddy DUC

[
Whoa!!! That means I'll have to get rid of my "MY SON HAS A DUC BETWEEN HIS LEGS" T SHIRT!!"
Sounds like you are getting some sound advice. If their really is an appreciation potential Put it in Marin DUC house on display!!

QUOTE=brianmdavis;641149]Hey folks,

I'd be curious to know your thoughts re: the best way to sell and at what price....[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Keep it, and ride in on the track a few times a year. Unless you mix it up on NASCAR day the odds of getting hit by a car on a track day are pretty slim :)

I a sorry if I got the thread wrong, but were you not hit by a car when on a bicycle ?

I have a daughter and wife nervous when I go out, so I understand the guilt, which is why perhaps some no-road use moderate track sessions may be the solution for you.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Brian, looks like your in a mental vice. Remember the arguement the market is in the toilet and you can't get anything for it? And the other one, time heals? I like St2lmans response the best. I almost killed myself as you know and I was on a motorcycle, but I still have two in the garage. The process of healing took a long time and to be honest there was no way I was going to cave in to any kind of pressure. This is what I like to do, this is what enriches my life. By the same token, I understand your predicament but to be without this outlet I would have to seriously consider going back to drinking and smoking or some other bad thing. So, what will it be? Kids adapt and eventually they do their own thing anyway, my youngest thinks me being involved in motorcyles is the coolest. I would refrain from talking about it, put it out of daily conversation, otherwise it becomes the center of attention again.

·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll wait......I'll drain the fuel and leave the oil. It only has one ride on it. I also have Water Wetter in the radiator. Should I change out to coolant to store?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
We all know that you love this bike beyond all others. Why not just keep it (you are not selling it for financial reasons) because you probably will be looking for the same thing when you go to buy one later. Museum that baby in the house. Seriously, maybe crank it every couple months when the wife and kids are not home, but don't lose the money you have put into it. What's the point of that?

·
9,757 Posts
Brian, if you had to come on here and announce to everyone that you have to sell the Fila, you were probably looking for excuses not to sell it.

IMO if you were going to sell it you would have just sold it and not created this thread. Just save yourself the moral tribulation and keep it. We'll figure out what to tell your wife and kids later.

I think st2lemans is on the right track. Have you ever wrecked in a car? Never stopped driving cars did ya?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts