Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently purchased a 1996 Ducati Monster. The seller said it just needed TLC as it just sat for several years in his garage. We replaced the carb as there was a rodent nest inside it and was heavily pitted. Bought a new battery and once installed lights and horn work but when push the start and it doesn't do anything. I believe the pistons are seized and have been soaking to try and loosen. Should I take it out and try to manually loosen it or heat it up? Any thoughts on what the next step is?

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
We recently purchased a 1996 Ducati Monster. The seller said it just needed TLC as it just sat for several years in his garage. We replaced the carb as there was a rodent nest inside it and was heavily pitted. Bought a new battery and once installed lights and horn work but when push the start and it doesn't do anything. I believe the pistons are seized and have been soaking to try and loosen. Should I take it out and try to manually loosen it or heat it up? Any thoughts on what the next step is?

pull the plugs, put in a higher gear, and give the machine a push. then report back with your findings.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Have we established that it is in fact a seized engine? It couldn't be that the starter relay is not powered up or switching waiting power to the starter? Rats eat wiring so I'd start there. Jumping straight to a seized engine conclusion just gets expensive and may not solve the actual problem.

As was stated several posts up, pull the plugs and try to turn the engine over by hand first. That will establish whether it is seized or not. If it is in fact seized, we can all chime in then with advice on what to take apart first. :grin2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Understood, we have the plugs out and mystery oil in, put in 5th gear and the tire won't even roll. Will check the solenoid, fuse and start button. I really appreciate all your help. Might be over my head!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Understood, we have the plugs out and mystery oil in, put in 5th gear and the tire won't even roll. Will check the solenoid, fuse and start button. I really appreciate all your help. Might be over my head!
Well, if you've been able to put it in gear and it won't roll the ~stuck engine~ may be the problem. While it's ok to check the other stuff it seems as though you've already located the BIG issue. Good on you for using Marvel Mystery Oil in the jugs, that was always a go-to in my shop. Hopefully it's just one/more of the rings that are stuck in the cylinders. I wouldn't think the problem is actually a stuck piston.

Then again ... y'never know I suppose. There may be a complete/utter mess in the engine (busted/jammed crank, something catastrophic of that nature). Time and effort will tell the story here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, quick update. Checked the belts and the belts are good. Two days ago we put in 5th gear and the back tire wouldn't even budge. Last night after gently rocking after filling up with mystery oil actually got the tire to move, it doesn't make a full turn, gets halfway maybe and then sticks again. So, I filled her up again with mystery oil and put her away for the night. Hopefully tonight it will break loose all the way.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
Any luck unsticking the engine?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts