Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2019 Multi 950S-SW. Took my first 1,500 mile trip. Love all but 2 things. Seems very tall geared and noticeable every time from a stop. Requires more effort to coordinate throttle and clutch. Does not like anything under about 10 MPH. Does a front sprocket one tooth lower help and does it affect the 70mph cruise speed negatively? Second item, I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs. Seat seems to force me into o e position and seems to pull me toward the tank. Does the comfort seat allow more movement? Is it too wide for standing? Does it add height? Thanks for you wisdom!

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
At least for the 1200, gearing doesn't really affect bike manners at highway speeds... does increase fuel consumption some. Does make the bike feel more lively (makes the 1200 quite a bit more wheelie prone when you go -1/+2).

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The MTS is such a versatile bike that it would be great if you could have some adjustment of the handlebars... back for slow speed, up and back for offroad, down and forward for twisties. Where you set the bar ends is really dependant on how you ride the bike... it's always a compromise and on this particular bike more so than most.

The stock bars seem about 1-2" too far forward for around-town riding, but they're perfect on the highway when you've got some wind force pushing you back. I've been considering a different bar ever since I got mine, haven't got around to it yet as it's not very far from perfect. For offroad they could be 3+" higher also which would allow you to stand up on gravel and bumps. I am also 6'2".

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
all you need to do is remove the pins and then you can rotate the bars (my only complaint with the bars is that when standing the're just a bit too far away)... that might help some but of course would not be 'change on the fly'. IIRC there are risers available too (not something I'd want but some may like them).

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Make it your own...start like Dave suggested and pull the pins and rotate the bars...risers are another cheap easy experiment. If those do not work, experiment with different bar bends. You’ll find what works for you, just do not be afraid to try things and find your sweet spot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Going down 1 tooth on the front sprocket helps a lot and doesn't seem to hurt cruising or top speed.
I have not ridden a 2019 model, but the seat on my 2012 seemed to push me forward towards the tank. A Sargent seat solved that problem!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a 2016 DVT.

1 - Going down one tooth on the front sprocket make starts easier, and also filtering/splitting. I was often in 1st with high revs, making the bike jerky, but too slow for 2nd. One tooth fixed it. No discernable impact on highway.

2 - The Touratech/Ducati Comfort seat make a huge difference. Flatter, not squashing my nuts, more comfortable. 30in inseam, no change in felt height or tippiness.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
-1 on the front or +2 in the back sprocket, if you add 2 in the back you'll need a longer chain.
On every ducati i've owned i always did the front swap, i think the bike comes with the higher gearing for emission purposes i remember reading.
With a gear swap you'll be revving about 500rpm higher and you'll lose about i believe 5 to 10mph on the top end but well worth it around town and take offs.
The biggest difference i found was on the sfs 1098, on that bike the change was stunning.
$.02!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2003 749 and I always felt the way it was geared made take-offs a real pain especially on any sort of hill. I talked to my service guy and he suggested going +2 in the rear sprocket. That was several years ago now, and I still love it. Quicker starts, no bogging and the loss of a top end I will never see anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
As far as gearing goes...in my use I did not prefer lowering the gearing. But I rode almost entirely in Europe with it so the higher speeds in general. My biggest problem was up in the tight mountain roads in Italy, it was always lifting the front exiting corners and its Italy and there’s another corner 25 feet away. So I actually preferred stock gearing..,,however it’s very likely what was better for me does not fit the masses.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I came across this video yesterday from a Canadian parts retailer and in it he mentions Ducatis are intentionally geared one notch too high (one tooth too large in front) to comply with North American importation regs around emissions etc. and it's kind of understood that you'll adjust this as soon as you buy the bike. (No one ever mentioned it to me though when I bought mine...) Here's the link:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yea, found him on Youtube after all sports was cancelled and I had to watch something. Good find. Love his sense of humour.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts