Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 Ducati 851, totally stock, that I just moved into my office after a 3-week long disassembly, light cosmetic restoration and detailing. I'm an OEM/originality freak, so made a decent investment sourcing OEM parts from the US and Europe to bring the bike to as close to factory showroom condition as possible. This is my second 851, and I was tempted to do carbon fiber upgrades on this one, but decided against it.

The one upgrade I believe that enhances the magnificent lines of this bike is high-mount exhaust, and it's like the only "non-OEM" change I'd make. I have been struggling with the silencer material. I first thought I wanted carbon fiber cans, but now I'm not so sure, after seeing stainless and titanium options. The original cans have a titanium-like appearance, so that's where my mind is going at this point. I believe stainless would be too bright/flashy against the matte aluminum tones, and without doing other carbon fiber upgrades, I'm afraid the carbon fiber cans would look like an afterthought. The titanium cans would perhaps look the most "factory" in appearance.

Just need some help talking me down from the cliff! :p

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
titanium mufflers didn't appear until much later ime. the std mufflers were anodised aluminium, as were the 1991 sp3 and 1992 sp4 termi high mounts. 1993 sp5 was the first carbon muffler fitment to a road bike, 1991 was the first corsa with carbon mufflers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, which would look more "period correct"? The titanium mufflers have an anodized look, but most of the cans of the day, such as the Termi's, were carbon. I wasn't aware they fitted carbon cans from the factory.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
ti looks nothing like anodised aluminium imo, and is the least appropriate material of your specified options. but it sounds like that's what you want so do that.

as far as i was aware, the sp5 came with a set of carbon termis in the crate, just like the 916sp did.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I bought an 888SP5 new back in 1993, it was fitted with the Carbon mufflers out of the crate and no other exhaust was supplied (unlike later homologation models). I never checked the system diameter (compared to a regular 851 / 888), the SP5 still had the pressed steel crossover (where the vertical and horizontal pipes met) unlike the racers that had the far more complex welded crossover (so I suspect it wasn't a larger diameter system).

In my view,
to really enhance the look of
the high exhaust fitted to the mono-posto vesions you want the rear body-work without the deeper (or longer) sides (not sure which years feature this rear bodyork) . As to material, the carbon mufflers on the SP5 were quite small (compared to 916 and later years), seriously loud and look awsome. However for all versions of the 851/888 series (except the SP5) I think the original aluminium pipes look best.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
the sp5 (and all the previous kit/sp) had a larger header set than the strada models - i think they were 45mm headers into 50mm mufflers whereas the strada were 40mm all through.

interesting it came out of the box with the carbon termis. that was before my time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input gang. After more consideration and looking at photo's online, I think I'm moving more towards carbon fiber at the moment. After viewing better pictures of the titanium option, I agree with @belter that they don't have the aluminum hues I thought they did. Stainless is absolutely out, so from a "period correctness" perspective, I think carbon fiber is the only real option.

@Andrew, I can't imagine the sheer excitement of buying a 888 SP5 new. Must have been amazing having been shipped from the factory with Termi's!!! I wish I could get my hands on a set of high-mount Termi's for my 851, as that would be about as "period correct" as you could get. I know they sell Termi replica's, but I'm highly considering Spark at the moment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 1991 Ducati 851, totally stock, that I just moved into my office after a 3-week long disassembly, light cosmetic restoration and detailing. I'm an OEM/originality freak, so made a decent investment sourcing OEM parts from the US and Europe to bring the bike to as close to factory showroom condition as possible. This is my second 851, and I was tempted to do carbon fiber upgrades on this one, but decided against it.

The one upgrade I believe that enhances the magnificent lines of this bike is high-mount exhaust, and it's like the only "non-OEM" change I'd make. I have been struggling with the silencer material. I first thought I wanted carbon fiber cans, but now I'm not so sure, after seeing stainless and titanium options. The original cans have a titanium-like appearance, so that's where my mind is going at this point. I believe stainless would be too bright/flashy against the matte aluminum tones, and without doing other carbon fiber upgrades, I'm afraid the carbon fiber cans would look like an afterthought. The titanium cans would perhaps look the most "factory" in appearance.

Carbon all the way. Unless you were able to find an original set.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too have a 1991 851 Strada. It has carbon cans. IMHO anything chrome is bad. Does not fit with the theme of the bike. Way too shinny. Titanium should be fine with it's lower brightness, but I think the carbon fits in best. The ones on my bike are from some outfit called 'Carbontech PARE' Industries'. Can't find any reference to them. They were on the bike when I got it. Man, do they sound great! They have a baffle around the outer diameter, but the center is a straight shot to the header pipe. Good luck and happy hunting! Blake, Tustin, So Cal USA

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

I already voted with my wallet on that one.

My '91 had stock cans on it when I bought it too. I thought i'd leave it as original as possible, then I decided screw that. I'm not a carbon fiber fan but they just "fit". I had carbon fiber on my 900ss back in the day too (both of them)

·
Registered
721 Posts
titanium mufflers didn't appear until much later ime. the std mufflers were anodised aluminium, as were the 1991 sp3 and 1992 sp4 termi high mounts. 1993 sp5 was the first carbon muffler fitment to a road bike, 1991 was the first corsa with carbon mufflers.
The (very rare, 101 made) SP4S was the first with Carbon mufflers actually, those and the carbon fibre tank were the only visual way of telling them apart from a SP4. very different internally though...

If the OP likes originality, they would be hard to find but either a full SP system from a 3 or 4 or maybe some standard super light hi Mufflers, they will slip straight into the std headers.....

·
Registered
721 Posts
the sp5 (and all the previous kit/sp) had a larger header set than the strada models - i think they were 45mm headers into 50mm mufflers whereas the strada were 40mm all through.

interesting it came out of the box with the carbon termis. that was before my time.
That is correct, 45mm flared to 50mm mufflers, and yep, the SP5 was delivered standard with C/F mufflers

·
Registered
721 Posts

Like em std eh? you would NOT like mine very much then LOL

If you like the std mufflers but want hi-rise you could try and find a set of super light mufflers, they have the exact same finish as your low std 851 mufflers (might be slightly different diameter? belter?) but they would be the closest to a factory look that will go straight onto your factory 40mm headers.

Otherwise Carbon Fibre termignonis are as period correct as it gets, it was almost compulsory to have them fitted back in the day, there would be no shame in having those on an otherwise std bike.

As for stainless, when i bought my 888 in 1999 it was completely std except for a set of low rise Staintune mufflers and it looked pretty good, sounded great too.

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Pssst... don't tell anyone, but the "Termis" on my bike shown above are fake... the biggest give away is the welds are nicer than real Termis.
Mum´s the word ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts