Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Doing the valves on my 2012 Multistrada/Testastretta engine for the first time. I have 9 out of 16 clearances that are out of spec between both cylinders. I haven’t started removing the shims to measure them. One thing I don’t quite understand.

I have watched videos where they start with the vertical cylinder at TDC in case the valves drop down, and they also use forceps to hold the valve in place. What I don’t get is what happens when you move from the first valve to the next and have to use the forceps on the next valve. Is it ok to let the first valve drop down at that point or am I supposed to secure it with safety wire or something?

Consequently, what about the horizontal cylinder? Secure all the vertical valves and then move the horizontal to TDC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,263 Posts
Sooo...

There really isn't any need to use clamps when you have the piston at TDC. If the valve falls into the cylinder it will stop when it hits the top of the piston. But if you aren't at TDC, you take your chances and really hope the clamp holds.

You should only be doing one cylinder at a time.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sooo...

There really isn't any need to use clamps when you have the piston at TDC. If the valve falls into the cylinder it will stop when it hits the top of the piston. But if you aren't at TDC, you take your chances and really hope the clamp holds.

You should only be doing one cylinder at a time.

What if you don’t have a kit and need to do the math on all the shims so you know what to order?

·
10,263 Posts
Take your measurements then put them back on. Move to the next. It'll take longer to complete, but it'll work.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have an old dull Phillips screwdriver that I put and leave in the spark plug hole so I can see, verify, and be confident the head I am working on is in TDC. Shim calculation is pretty fiddly. The tolerance stacking between interpreting feeler gauges vs calipers, and adapters stack up when you are working in the "thousandths"

Good Luck, take your time.
t_bare

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey all. Doing the valves on my 2012 Multistrada/Testastretta engine for the first time. I have 9 out of 16 clearances that are out of spec between both cylinders. I haven’t started removing the shims to measure them. One thing I don’t quite understand.

I have watched videos where they start with the vertical cylinder at TDC in case the valves drop down, and they also use forceps to hold the valve in place. What I don’t get is what happens when you move from the first valve to the next and have to use the forceps on the next valve. Is it ok to let the first valve drop down at that point or am I supposed to secure it with safety wire or something?

Consequently, what about the horizontal cylinder? Secure all the vertical valves and then move the horizontal to TDC?

Since is your first valve clearance probably the shims are stock from ducati, you can actually see the size of the shim, so dont need to take them off,im positive Ducati does not tale the time to sand them down, when I did the service i actually changed all 16 shims, brougth them all to tha lowest clearance, I did have to sand some of the shims since they only come in .005 incriments.
dont forget you can switch shims around to get the clearance needed.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since is your first valve clearance probably the shims are stock from ducati, you can actually see the size of the shim, so dont need to take them off,im positive Ducati does not tale the time to sand them down, when I did the service i actually changed all 16 shims, brougth them all to tha lowest clearance, I did have to sand some of the shims since they only come in .005 incriments.

dont forget you can switch shims around to get the clearance needed.

Thanks for the help.

I went ahead and ordered a shim kit, some extra of the larger closer shims, the closer measurement tool and since my closer clearances were pretty large, 8 sets of half-rings from EMS.

Hopefully here on Wednesday or Thursday.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would anyone advise swapping out all the half rings as a precaution at 30K, or leave well enough alone if they aren’t broken?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for the help.

I went ahead and ordered a shim kit, some extra of the larger closer shims, the closer measurement tool and since my closer clearances were pretty large, 8 sets of half-rings from EMS.

Hopefully here on Wednesday or Thursday.

The only problem with the kit is that you will get shims that you will never use, he does an exchange if new or at least he used to.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only problem with the kit is that you will get shims that you will never use, he does an exchange if new or at least he used to.

Yeah, I was trying to avoid that.

But, I have so many valves to adjust that doing them one at a time isn’t really an option. There is one local shop that carries them but they are $10 each and that’s with an exchange. 9 shims would have run me half the size of a kit. And that’s not including buying the measurement tool.

I also plan on having this bike and doing my own valves for a while so having the kit made sense in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
Would anyone advise swapping out all the half rings as a precaution at 30K, or leave well enough alone if they aren’t broken?

I wouldn't swap them out unless they were broken or exhibited sure signs of wear.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, valve job is going mostly ok. Closer valves are frustrating as hell due to the damn half-rings.

Good news is the closers on the vertical cylinder are good now. Somehow I got all the openers too tight though. Which I don’t understand because I didn’t change three of them...

Taking the cams back off tomorrow and tweaking the openers. Shouldn’t take too long.

·
10,263 Posts
Somehow I got all the openers too tight though. Which I don’t understand because I didn’t change three of them...
It's normal to have to redo something every once in a while. Your feeler gauge/caliper accuracy may not have been exact or the half rings may not have been put in exactly as they came out. There are a few things that can change your readings slightly. It gets better with experience.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Did you put the half rings back where they came from? If they got swapped around from valve to valve, this could cause some minor changes. Also, new half rings will cause everything to tighten up a little bit. Lastly, if things got significantly tighter, check to make sure the half rings and closer are properly seated. I've had that problem before.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you put the half rings back where they came from? If they got swapped around from valve to valve, this could cause some minor changes. Also, new half rings will cause everything to tighten up a little bit. Lastly, if things got significantly tighter, check to make sure the half rings and closer are properly seated. I've had that problem before.

I did one valve at a time, so they went back where they came from. I did have a hard time with getting the polished side down. There wasn’t much difference between top and bottom for most of them.

I bought new half rings just in case but didn’t use any of them.

I *think* they are seated ok. I would pinch them together, make sure the closer spun smoothly and that the opener shim sat and spun smoothly. I wouldn’t think that I managed to bungle all four closer shims, so I don’t know.

I do know that all the openers were at minimum spec from the start so the clearance was close starting out.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Sounds like you are doing everything right. As Yorik says, sometimes you just have to redo a few things. Keep up the good work. I'm always glad to see others doing valves on a Ducati instead of insisting they go to the dealer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like you are doing everything right. As Yorik says, sometimes you just have to redo a few things. Keep up the good work. I'm always glad to see others doing valves on a Ducati instead of insisting they go to the dealer.

I have an extended warranty through a third party so I’m definitely throwing caution to the wind, haha.

With nine valves out of spec this service would have been about $1900.

·
10,263 Posts
Nine valves out of spec? Is this some super secret Ducati prototype engine? My testastretta only goes up to eight. :(

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Cut him some slack. You know he means shims.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts