Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who have monoposto's, where do you attach the tie-downs to the rear of the bike? I have a "canyon dancer" strap system for the front and for the rear I would just hook straps to the passenger pegs on my earlier bikes. I'm curious to hear how you guys attach the rear straps and if there's any precautions you guys take so no frame paint scratches or other damage occurs.

·
Registered
167 Posts
gpd123 said:
Those of you who have monoposto's, where do you attach the tie-downs to the rear of the bike? I have a "canyon dancer" strap system for the front and for the rear I would just hook straps to the passenger pegs on my earlier bikes. I'm curious to hear how you guys attach the rear straps and if there's any precautions you guys take so no frame paint scratches or other damage occurs.
I wrap the straps around the lower part of the subframe where it joins the main frame. They don't need to be hella tight, just enough to provide some stability.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Through the rear wheel, with ratchet straps. Snug down. This is of course, if you have floor tie down points. I have the same handle bar straps as you.

Don't skimp on the ratchet straps.

Trailered the 998 from SC to PA this way.

Check that hitch! Make sure you have your safety chains on!

I read a post somewhere where the guy didn't check his hitch and didn't have the safety chains on. He went to pick up his superbike and lost the trailer on the way home. Needless to say he didn't ride his bike for a very long while and bought, in essence, 2 bikes. Ouch! Luckily, his trailer didn't take anyone out.

Don't put a cover on it. The cover will scratch the paint and flap in the wind.

I had very little dirt when I got home and I haven't washed it yet, it was that clean.

Good luck and have a safe and uneventful trip!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
may I suggest an article by a long time Ducati rider that is exampled by pictures of his securing techniques with his Ducati 851 track bike on www.mad-ducati.com under the "articles" section called "bike tie down for transport"...a very beneficial and informative article that may help some for ya!

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
As they said and I would repeat, don't skimp on straps and use good ones. Do some internet search on those. They want to come loose but the advantage you have with your "open" trailer you can monitor the bike as you motor down the road. My first trailer was a funky single rail, but I fixed it up and it turned into a decent transporter. I hauled my Supersport (I miss that bike) around with it and when things got loose I simply pulled over and tightened things up. It was nice you could see what was happening behind you. Canyon Dancer is good and also cinch down the front wheel. I bought my dream enclosed trailer last year for mainly track transports and security; I equipped it with E tracks and bought Baxley chocks. At Laguna I was in a little hurry after riding my bike back to where I was staying and loaded it up without securing the front tire and only using two straps in the back. I did have the Baxleys on however. (they claimed you don't need additional straps in the front with their product, don't count on it) Well, I hit some chuckholes and stopped to find the bike on its side in the trailer. The fall messed it up pretty good and now I call my bike "formally prestine 95 916".

A trailer is the only way to go, if you can swing it an enclosed one has all kinds of benefits beyond hauling your bike around. The one snag is storage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the information guys. Hmmm, so the bungee cords around the exhaust is not a good idea huh ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
gpd123 said:
You can just put the strap around the frame tubes if you feel you need the back tied down as well as the front. Personally I only tie the front.

Until you've modified the Canyon Dancer strap, I'd be real careful... I had the part that goes around the grip partially sewn shut by a saddle shop so there is like a cup or a pocket that the end of the bar sits in and still allows the strap from the opposite side to pass through... If you don't do this the part that goes around the grip slides all the way up and pulls against the switch housings and will break them... Having them modified the way I described will keep this from happening. I'll post a pic tonight.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Careful with the Canyon Dancer. It can chew up your grips. Wrap the grips or use the Cycle Cynch instead. It does not put as much strain on the grips since it is not pulling across the top triple...

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?CategoryID=627|Trailer%20Accessories

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Really my friends have an open trailer and use Canyon Dancers. For the rear they only use a rope that come from underneath the trailer and tie a knot around the lowe part of the rear wheel. I would think the rear wheel all you really care about is it not moving around too much. I don't think you need to worry about it as much as you would the front. But that's just from what I've seen other people do. when my trailer is set up I'll use the cheaper ratchet tie downs for the rear and the really good ones (Ancra) for the front.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks for the cycle cynch link! I've noticed that lots of times my canyon dancer moves the grips around a bit. Of course that could be something in my own doing but I try to put them on carefully every time. I've got a baxley sport chock but I use that for my garage and track days. I don't have it mounted to a trailer. About those cycle cynchs, do they do a better job preserving grips and am I the only one bunching up my grips with canyon dancers?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I dislike Canyon Dancers. I'm checking out the Condor chok you can mount in your trailer. That way I can tie down via the lower part of the fork instead of using Canyon Dancers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I put a pin and quick clip through the sportchock and the bed of the trailer/truck. That keeps the chock solid and yet it's in your hand in a few seconds for removal.
I transport my K1200RS, which weighs 200lbs more than the SB, easily. I don't have to compress my front shock at all and the grips, and fairings, go unscathed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I always like to tie down so I compress the suspension, at least a little. I don't know why, but I feel it keeps the bike more secure. I use a cynch strap for the handlebars & two straps on the rear under the seat. Works for me!

·
Registered
407 Posts
In my van I transport 2 bikes: Baxley Sport Chock up front.

Soft ties around the lower triple clamp with tie-downs to the seat baseplate. Slight compression only.

Tie-downs from the rear-sets back to anchor points behind the bike. A bit more compression than the fronts...

The Sport Chock does the bulk of the holding and the tie-downs are primarily for stabilization.

I've never had even the slightest problem with movement - ever.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
gpd123 said:
....About those cycle cynchs, do they do a better job preserving grips and am I the only one bunching up my grips with canyon dancers?
I have both a cycle cynch and canyon dancer, I prefer the cycle cynch. I've had two broken switch housing using a canyon dancer, and numerous twisted, partially pulled off grips. It's now mostly used for scooter hauling to the track. The cycle cynch isn't 100%, I've had the grip pulled partial off with them too.

Next step is a Condor or strapless set-up.

Becareful with the rear, it's important especially if you have multiple bikes in a trailer. I had the rear barely snug and the hook popped out. The back-end hopped over and the two bike rub up against each other leaving a shiny spot in the saddle bag plastic cover.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I tie it down using the rear foot pegs vs. the subframe since it's not painted. It's only to keep the back from bouncing around over the bumps, so I don't compress the shock too much when I tie it down.

I do use a canyon dancer even though I have a chock on my trailer since it provides an easy way to hold the front down evenly. I haven't had any trouble with the canyon dancer doing anything to the grips or switches as most have reported, but as with the rear, I don't tie it down where the front is too compressed as the chock seems to hold the front up straight pretty good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts