Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my second service wrench came on at around 7300miles. Reason for before 7500miles? How far over is safe to go?

·
Temporary greeter
23,088 Posts
Make an appointment. If you are still under warranty, let them know if you will pass 7500 miles before your service. Otherwise don't sweat it.

Unless you are one of those people who wait 7500 miles to do an oil change. Then get back in there 3,000 miles ago and do it before the valve adjustment at 7500

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good, I did an oil change about 2500miles ago. The only reason I ask is because I have a few hundred miles until I casn get to my dealer.

·
Registered
736 Posts
A few hundred miles won't matter, but I am surprised the wrench showed up before 7500. I brought mine in at around 7400 and the light wasn't on, and then after I picked it up, the light came on and I had to bring it back to get the light off, but my dealer is only a few miles from my house, and they took care of me in a few minutes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Make an appointment. If you are still under warranty, let them know if you will pass 7500 miles before your service. Otherwise don't sweat it.

Unless you are one of those people who wait 7500 miles to do an oil change. Then get back in there 3,000 miles ago and do it before the valve adjustment at 7500
Valve adjustment at 7500?? witch model??? The 2012 848 SF and S model is at 15000 in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
The 1098 SFS valve service check is at 7500 miles. The combo manual that you have is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a few hundred miles until I casn get to my dealer.
That's why it came on early, to give you time to make an appt. Past bikes and cars have all reminded me just before the due date, not on the day of. Ducati isn't going to bite your hand if you come in late, just don't be unreasonably late.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The 1098 SFS valve service check is at 7500 miles. The combo manual that you have is wrong.

That's because you have a 2011, for the 2012's it's 15000. If you look it up on Ducati USA , Canada, France etc etc. For a 2011 it's 7500 but the 2012 15000.

Enter your model Ducati

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Really? All the 1098 owners just got another free 7500 miles - Thats awesome !!!!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
That's because you have a 2011, for the 2012's it's 15000. If you look it up on Ducati USA , Canada, France etc etc. For a 2011 it's 7500 but the 2012 15000.

Enter your model Ducati
I guess you're right. It says my 2011 SFS is 7500 miles for valve clearance checks but for a 2012 SFS it's 15000. I thought this longer valve service was only for the 11deg engines. Does anyone know what's up with this? I didn't think there where any changes to the 2012SFS to allow 15000 mile valve service intervals. If there is I'm going to be a bit pissed off.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I bet you get pissed at first - then get with the Ducati Program ( We'd hate to lose you !)

In all honesty, If you don't 'hammer' your bike, you might get away with those intervals-

I have too much $$$ invested to worry about a zero -tolerance engine - mine will be checked somewhere around 7-9 K ... when its good!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Actually it's yours that's wrong. The service is now at 15K. I believe that changed this year.

(oops, I should read Page 2 before responding to something on Page 1)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just to be clear, service intervals (at least on the 848SF) are still 7500, but the valve adjustment intervals are 15K.

My experience with Ducatis is that once the valve train is "hammered in", clearances remain fairly stable, so 15K between valve checks is probably fine. HOWEVER... having seen how far out clearances can be at a 7500 mile service, I'll most likely do my first valve service at 7500 and unless I feel or hear something amiss, I'll do 15K intervals thereafter.

I still intend on doing my belts every 2 years or sooner based on a visual inspection, regardless of what they recommend. Belts are too cheap and easy to replace in the broad scheme of things not to stay on top of it.

I should add that I do my own service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts