Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 1st Duke about 3 months, and just bought a second one! I stumbled across it on Craigslist and couldn't turn it down. It will need some work, and I can't keep it at my apartment right now, so it's being stored in a friend's garage.

However...
My renter's insurance won't cover the stored bike. None of the companies I've talked to will insure the bike for fire & theft, which is all I need, without selling me a complete (ie riding) policy. This is just ridiculous.

Does anyone out here know of a company that will write such a policy? I'm located in Michigan and the new bike is a 2001 996, so I won't be able to get any sort of vintage bike policy.

Thanks...

Michael

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
You probably wont find an insurance company that has a renters insurance with motor vehicles covered. Not even a homeowners. Your best bet might be to get a Personal Auto Policy and include very low liability limits ie. 25/50/25, no collision, and comprehensive which covers damage by theft, animals and other than collision perils. Not exactly sure if Comprehensive covers fire losses at your premises though so that might be one thing you would have to ask.

I could be wrong but I just got tested yesterday for my designation for this :D Barely passed it but I did.

Also, good to see you are hooked and great choice on the 996. I would love to be able to ride one of those at least once in my life, maybe get one later on. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I have geico on all my bikes and while they do require a bare minimum policy like liability, they have an option for winter storage which pulls road coverage off the bikes, and only covers damage like flood, fire etc.

Basically, you're not paying for insurance for a few months, and they give you a credit back in the spring on your premium.

Not sure if this is something that would help you, and I think they only do it from October to April. Just a thought though, maybe there's another company out there that can do something similar?

Good luck with the second project! Can never have too many Ducati's :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked with Geico. They don't insure motorcycles in Michigan. They certainly advertise enough here, though.

Lsberrios1, what is a "Personal Auto Policy"? Is that somehow different from regular auto/motorcycle insurance, and if so, which company sells it?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I checked with Geico. They don't insure motorcycles in Michigan. They certainly advertise enough here, though.

Lsberrios1, what is a "Personal Auto Policy"? Is that somehow different from regular auto/motorcycle insurance, and if so, which company sells it?
Its the same thing just a generic term. Just check around. Look at state farm, it would be better if you bundle the motorcycle with your car insurance and put down the motorcycle as a second vehicle for occasional use. Im sure since you have a bike you have already done that. Yo can change limits accordingly to each individual vehicle. Coverages can be adjusted as well depending on your state requirements.

·
Registered
128 Posts
because you don't own a home owners policy, where you could schedule it on at a certain cost. Your going to have to keep full coverage to have theft included unfortunately. Trust me, just pay the cost to be the boss. its what i do for living

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
With State Farm, I can knock my full coverage down to Comprehensive (remove collision) on the car for winter and it is dirt cheap. Covers, theft, fire and such. But, SF won't do that for a bike.

Talk to an agent but one of the things you can probably do is buy a STATED VALUE policy. Basically, you buy a policy for X amount and they charge you for that. I have $20,000 on the BMW and it costs me $100 a year for full coverage.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
With State Farm, I can knock my full coverage down to Comprehensive (remove collision) on the car for winter and it is dirt cheap. Covers, theft, fire and such. But, SF won't do that for a bike.

Talk to an agent but one of the things you can probably do is buy a STATED VALUE policy. Basically, you buy a policy for X amount and they charge you for that. I have $20,000 on the BMW and it costs me $100 a year for full coverage.
This. If you buy any riders policy, the company has to charge you for MCCA in MI, which is a catastrophic claims surcharge, and the money goes to the state. This year, it's about $180. It's far better to insure it as personal property that will never see street use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts