Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a second bike just to zip around on short runs (< 400 mile days). I was wanting something relatively cheap and simple. I was thinking of the Monster 900s from the late 90s to early 2000s. I've never ridden one though.

Do you guys think this bike would seem boring compared to the Multistrada? What second bikes (if any) do you guys have?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a 95' 916. I don't ride it anymore. It's brutal.

I also have a 2007 monster S2R1000. I loved that bike. It was perfect. Now it's slower and less comfortable than the multi. I have little to no desire to ride it anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Air cooled Multi would be one option. One of the KTM or Japanese SUMO options would also make a fun weekend bike.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Hypermotard 1100 is a great 2nd Bike, got mine as a 2nd bike but it keeps
being my only bike as I sell the others but keep it while I sold the 998 and
the Sport Classic.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
An 2V aircooled Monster would be an excellent choice for that, provided only that you exercise it regularly. No Ducati does well sitting most of the time and only getting ridden on rare occasions. If you expect to make at least one short run a week, this is a great, durable, reliable, versatile bike for that purpose. If you think it will be ridden less often than that, I'd suggest a Japanese machine for a second bike.

PhilB

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a second bike just to zip around on short runs (< 400 mile days). I was wanting something relatively cheap and simple. I was thinking of the Monster 900s from the late 90s to early 2000s. I've never ridden one though.

Do you guys think this bike would seem boring compared to the Multistrada? What second bikes (if any) do you guys have?

My first Ducati was a 620 monster, I thought it was a great bike and kept up with the bigger bikes. With something like 60 HP you had to pass in the corners, but a higher displacement Monster would be a good 2nd "fun street bike" option. My 2nd bike now is a DRZ 400 that's great for rainy days and indestructible, doesn’t mind getting dirty. It gets regular use as it is the opposite of the Multi. Also good for practicing wheelies and just plain having fun.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My second bike is a Yamaha MT-09. I love it, it's a perfect complement to the Multi. Started off looking at Monsters, but found myself liking basically everything about the Yamaha better, until I got into the 1200 and 1200R models, which cost twice as much. Below that, they all seemed to need a new suspension right off the showroom floor. Pretty common at that price point.

It's a great hooligan machine in the city and suburbs, very light so it's tons of fun to flick through corners. Feels like a sub-400lb bike on the interstate, though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Surprised no-one has mentioned the Scrambler as an option. IT would certainly fit the OP brief and has a lot of style options. It's certainly a price-premium over a Monster, but there are plenty of low mileage examples.

·
Bon Vivant
10,428 Posts
I ride my multi on days that are either two-up or we are headed out for multiple days. That's not to say that it isnt a fantastic all-rounder, it is, and I find it's the most versatile bike I've ever owned. However I enjoy the back-roads on other styles of bikes too and the multi stays home those days. When I feel froggy I take either my streetfighter or the tuono v4, but you better be ready to wick it up because both of those bikes beg to be ridden hard. For a more relaxed ride I take the thruxton, still a ton of fun but it doesnt mind riding around at a more relaxed pace. And without a doubt the most nimble of the bikes is my Z900RS which is so much fun in the tight stuff, that thing would make an excellent gymkhana bike.

For me different bikes suit different needs and they all have their own personalities and strengths. I love the aircooled monsters but I'd probably go for a later model 1100. It all depends on what you want from your second bike and what kind of riding you think you'll be doing.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
... great for rainy days and indestructible, doesn’t mind getting dirty.
I think all of these are excellent criteria for a second bike. Something that's fun, reliable, and you won't fuss over. Otherwise it just becomes another 'precious' belonging which sucks the fun out.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think all of these are excellent criteria for a second bike. Something that's fun, reliable, and you won't fuss over. Otherwise it just becomes another 'precious' belonging which sucks the fun out.
I totally agree. That's exactly why I like my Scrambler. I always think twice about getting the Diavel or 848 dirty.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Not at all. I had a Monster for a time and enjoyed it. Much lighter and flickable, felt quick despite lacking the HP. Compared to an MTS, it would seem less refined, almost rudimentary --no electronic suspension, ABS, etc. Somehow though, that provides for a more visceral experience. I couldn't suffer the ergo's for longer rides, so went to an ST2, which I still have. Similar comparison. Dry clutch, FBF pipes, 100 pounds lighter, etc. Half the HP, but still a blast to ride and I won't get rid of it.

I think the biggest issue with the Monsters was the later models with plastic tanks affected by ethanol. Another plus for the older models with metal tanks. You also have shorter maintenance intervals (belts/valves) compared to the MTS, so something to take into account.

Good luck with the hunt.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I have lots of bikes. Bigger bikes, faster bikes, more comfortable bikes. My Monster is my favorite bike, edging out my SS on comfort. I don’t need a faux 450# dirt bike for the street. They’re double ugly and way too tall for city riding. They are a joke off road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts