Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have not yet started a serious search for a new ride. Based on my experiences with the ST series (01-ST4, 02-ST4s, 04-ST4s) dating back to 2002, I want my next ride to be either an 03 or 04-ST4s. When I am ready to ride, I hope I can find a low milage one in the Seattle or Portland areas.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a second bike such as a full size tourer or touring cruiser for local rides with my son Daren. Although Daren is an adult, he is disabled and will never be able to drive or ride a motorcycle. He does enjoy riding two up with me on group rides with my local riding group, or "the guys", as he calls them.

I think a motorcycle with a full rear seat, like a Honda Goldwing or Harley Ultraglide, would be more comfortable for Daren than riding pillion on another ST4s. He has filled out this year and I could really feel his added weight on the back of my late 04-ST4s when he rode with me.

Given the congestion of our local roads and my more conservative riding style when Daren is riding with me, I don't feel I would be giving up much in the way of performance by riding a tourer or touring cruiser on our local group's day rides. For solo rides and road trips, I most definitely want an ST4s.

From your signature lines, I know several of you own touring bikes and touring cruisers in addition to your ST's. I would enjoy from you about your bikes and how they rate for ride-ability and passenger comfort.

Sheriff Chuck: please don't bump this to anther forum, as members of the ST clubhouse are my target audeince for this question.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Good news Bill. All I can say is two bikes are better than one. I've thought in the past about picking up a post 01 Gold Wing. I figure if I'm going to cruise, I would like to do it in style. I settled on a Multistrada. Not to say a Gold Wing might still be there someday, who knows.

Good luck on your search. I think its a great idea your considering a bike more capable of taking your son along. I've checked out the second seat of the Gold Wing a number of times, what an amazing seat that is. I would like to ride back there, I know I would fall asleep right away. That seat provides armrests, footrests, backrests, earphones, controls, beer dispenser, etc. I vote for the Gold Wing.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Bill, don't forget that Ducati are actually working on a cruiser for the American market! It might actually get revealed at the Milan show this year. :D

·
Registered
887 Posts
Bill, don't forget that Ducati are actually working on a cruiser for the American market! It might actually get revealed at the Milan show this year. :D
Damn! I had to check the post date to make sure it wasn't April 1st!

I'm not a big fan of typical cruiser ergonomics and handling (not to mention the looks) but I bet Ducati could show Milwaukee a thing or two about design.

But, like myself, Bill has stated an incompatibility with his back and cruiser ergo's.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Vote for H/D

Hello, Bill

I'm of the opinion that every bike has it's target purpose, finding it is our job (kind of like the diversity of mankind, but I digress..)

That being said, personally, I think that the 'Glide is unrivaled for relatively unhurried two-up riding. Yeah, the Wings are comfy and all, but we are after a bit of a visceral experience, after all, not a two-wheel Barcalounger.
I think that is the H/D niche.
If I were able to pick a bike to go Coast-to-Coast at a leisurely pace, especially with a pillion, I'd go with a 'Glide.
Of course, if I was in a hurry, it would be a 4S.
'03 w/Comfort Kit, specifically.

JMHO.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't forget that touring bike does not necessarily mean cruiser ergos (I'm assuming you mean feet forward, hunched over position).

I have known couples with Goldwings and they are so comfortable and "secure" that passengers can easily take naps back there.

As a middle ground, I suggest a BMW R1100RT (cheap used) or new K1200GT or K13GT (not so cheap, even used).

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think you have lots of options including the other SportTouring bikes that are actually closer to touring than sport such as the Honda ST, the Yamaha FJ and the Kawasaki Concours as well as the BMWs. Course the downside is that you'd have to test drive each one to get a good comparison, might take you some time to try them all out and make your descission. :D

Randy

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
My first riding experience was when a friend invited me to do the Ride for Kids in 2001. He wanted to borrow a GW from University Honda, but the only had some Honda VTX. It was a great introductory experience, riding as pillion, but the fact that Honda tuned this thing to cough and stumble and rumble like its domestic rival was just a shame.

Of course it was a different cough and stumble and rumble of our Ducs. It wasn't raw, it was just blah, IMHO.

Just before the ride back, we snuck a ride on the then new GW. 90mph came up smooth and quick. The back seat was supportive and it seemed to handle well. My friend was a GW fanatic and ended up buying a 2002 in yellow. I was on a couple more brief rides. I could see one being parked in my garage in 20 or so years.

One tid bit, my friend was over 350lbs at the time, and I was 210lbs or more. Obviously both bikes were overloaded, but the GW didn't reveal it as much.

In all this, there has been a ton of changes in the last 9yrs. H-Ds and the imitators have come a long way. Just some thoughts though from the back seat.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
It would be hard to decide without a test ride if I didn't already have my mind make up. For me the only bike that would fit the bill would be a Harley full dresser if cruising was the goal. Gold Wings have the performance edge, as do many bikes over the Ducati but for me motorcycling is about more than stats.

And hey you can grow a grey beard and wear a clear visor!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've also have a GW and for long distance and very comfortable two up riding it performs well. And if you do want to drag your knee it can be done without dragging floorboards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSVg3Gg4LmA
The other Sport Touring bikes mentioned above work well without all the GW bells and whistles. I used to have a Yamaha FJR which is more on the touring side than sport - but a very quick bike.

·
Administrator
12,555 Posts
I LOVE my BMW K1200LT which would be perfect. Something to also consider is the new K1300GT which has decent pillion seating.

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. After four extended Madness trips of 3,000 plus miles riding two up with my spouse, I have decided that the ST is a little small for a trip of that duration. I also had a Road King that I just sold because I wasn't riding it. My wife actually preferred the ST. If you haven't ridden a HD you need to because the difference from the ST is huge. I personally couldn't go back to a cruiser style bike and I owned numerous ones over the last 12 years.

I've never been BMW guy but the RT is looking better. Still don't care for the looks but the it seems to fit my needs. Not too heavy. Decent handling and power and more than adequate comfort. I've only ridden one for a short distance so more seat time is necessary to really make a judgement. I also rode the GT and it didn't fit me well. The weak link with the BMW seems to be the final drive.

The other possiblility is the Concours. I like to work on my bikes and I have read that it is difficult to work on due to lack of access and space. Also, lack of creature comforts.

No clear winner yet.

Jeff
04 ST3

·
Registered
109 Posts
Moto Guzzi Norge?

Hi, Bill,

A good friend bought a new, 2007, Moto Guzzi Norge last year. We've been on several long trips together (me on the ST4s). I know that a lot of Guzzi "traditionalists" don't like a lot of things about the Norge, but it is very comfortable and with top-case fitted also very comfortable and roomy for the pillion. I happen to like the design a lot. It also has loads of torque.

He got the loaded version. I am not sure what the badging of the model actually is, but ABS, electronic windscreen and lots of other goodies came as standard.

Nice bike.

Best,

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Damn! I had to check the post date to make sure it wasn't April 1st!

I'm not a big fan of typical cruiser ergonomics and handling (not to mention the looks) but I bet Ducati could show Milwaukee a thing or two about design.

But, like myself, Bill has stated an incompatibility with his back and cruiser ergo's.
Ah, we may be saved after all...

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/ducati-abandons-vyper-cruiser-concept/

I doubt it would have been a 'cruiser' in the 'classical' sense anyway. Definitely not one that would fit Bills' requirements. I was told about the 'Ducati Cruiser' just this Saturday by a 'Ducati Insider', so I sure hope the article above is correct! :eek:

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
7,733 Posts
Why a ST if you're also getting a more comfy 2-up touring bike? Why not, say a 998s and an older Japanese bike like a Yamaha Venture for example. Nice v-four touring bike that handles well and is reasonable priced to buy and operate, and a nice pure sport bike for your solo day rides. :)

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
There is a ST4s up on eBay right now, BIN of $7650. Newer style wheels. Looks really good, but has 34K mi on it.

Strangely, the picture in the auction looks a lot like stryder's avatar. :abduct:

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why a ST if you're also getting a more comfy 2-up touring bike? Why not, say a 998s and an older Japanese bike like a Yamaha Venture for example. Nice v-four touring bike that handles well and is reasonable priced to buy and operate, and a nice pure sport bike for your solo day rides. :)
A comfy, two up touring bike, like a Yamaha Venture, would be for local rides with my son. I would ride solo and tour on my ST4s.

Traffic congestion and zealous speed limit enforcement here in the Puget Sound area IMHO make a pure sport bike a waste of $$$$$. My tours to eastern Washington and out of state are the only opportunites I have to really cut loose on a motorcycle. The ergos and luggage capacity of the ST4s allows me to get out of town for several days, while its perfomance and handling make "getting there" most of the fun.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Bill, you should consider the earlier suggestion of a Moto Guzzi Norge as a possible replacement that fulfills all your needs. It's a little more substantial than the ST and a little more confortable for long tours, but it still has Italian charm and great handling...

http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/Nuovi_modelli/norge1200/specifiche.asp?modello=norge1200&pagina=spec

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/moto-guzzi-norge-1200-first-ride-report-18840.html

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Moto-Guzzi-motorcycles/norge-1200/

I'd seriously consider it if I was in your position. It also looks fantastic in RED! :D

1 - 20 of 70 Posts