Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a GT1000 and love it. It isn't as beautiful as a sexy monoposto, but it rides, handles, runs *great* and I love it, love it, love it. It fits me perfectly and I'm done messing with it.

Local guy has a very sexy 2006 yellow monoposto with ohlins forks, ohlins shocks, termis, PD ECU and only has 8k miles. It is listed for $8200 (which I believe is a very, very good price).

I rode the monoposto and hated it. It has horribly low vortex clipons and is set up for someone who weighs half as much as me. I am reasonably sure I could put normal bars on it, put 14/40 sprockets on it, change the grips and tires to the Michelins I like and dial in the suspension to my liking. I would keep my GT1000 because I love it and am never selling it. Plus, my wife likes to ride it and the monoposto is no-go for that.

DILEMNA: Should I pick it up as a spare and dump a bunch of money into it or is that just plain silly because I don't need a spare and my GT1000 is glorious and already customized to my liking? My GT1000 has 18000 miles on it--how many miles can a Duc take before I need motor work?

Your serious thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I ride a GT1000 and love it. It isn't as beautiful as a sexy monoposto, but it rides, handles, runs *great* and I love it, love it, love it. It fits me perfectly and I'm done messing with it.

Local guy has a very sexy 2006 yellow monoposto with ohlins forks, ohlins shocks, termis, PD ECU and only has 8k miles. It is listed for $8200 (which I believe is a very, very good price).

I rode the monoposto and hated it. It has horribly low vortex clipons and is set up for someone who weighs half as much as me. I am reasonably sure I could put normal bars on it, put 14/40 sprockets on it, change the grips and tires to the Michelins I like and dial in the suspension to my liking. I would keep my GT1000 because I love it and am never selling it. Plus, my wife likes to ride it and the monoposto is no-go for that.

DILEMNA: Should I pick it up as a spare and dump a bunch of money into it or is that just plain silly because I don't need a spare and my GT1000 is glorious and already customized to my liking? My GT1000 has 18000 miles on it--how many miles can a Duc take before I need motor work?

Your serious thoughts are appreciated.
Buy it and mount bipo clip-ons…

+ your wife does not have to use the passenger seat anymore

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I've seen the Sport you're talking about on CL, nice bike. You can read all the threads about changing the handlebars/clipons on the Sports. If you are happy with higher clipons, sprocket changes and different grips you won't be spending bags of money. With 8k miles on the bike the tires should not be the original shoes. Give them a chance when have the handlebar situation settled. The GT is working girl and the Sport is a sexy starlet. Go for it.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Your current bike should go many thousands more miles before needing serious work. I just put guides and 1 valve in my 900SS with 38k. But I put hicomp pistons in it at 26k. And the 1000DS engine is a major step up from the 900's in durability.

If I were looking for a second, sportier bike I would consider looking outside the sport classic realm, if only for more variety, and maybe a bit more steam. If nothing else go ride an 848, maybe an ST3, MS1100 etc. This SC is approaching money that you could be an almost new 848. In other words, make a decision with as much info as possible. Just my 2cts.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Get a full blown 100+ hp sport bike with full fairing. You already have a classy naked bike. Don't waste your money trying to make it run like an 848 or 1198.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Finally a No

It sounds like a great bike for a good price, but, no, you shouldn't buy it as a second bike. Your description of what you'd like to do to is is to basically turn it into a GT, and you've already got one.

More than one bike is always a good thing, but you want a bike that you will sometimes prefer to your GT. If you sometimes like to do long stints on the interstate, then add something more touring oriented. If you sometimes would like something with a harder edge, then consider a real sportbike. If sometimes wish you had a real classic, then consider some hot 60's or 70's classic that you will ride seldom enough that its reliability and parts issues will not be a problem since you will always have the GT available. If (perish the thought) you'd like some boulevard poser, then consider a cruiser. But, why waste a garage slot to something that you just want to turn into a copy of the bike you already have? The only reason for that would be if you have another rider in the house.

If you really want the bike, buy it and sell yours. Otherwise, keep the GT and find something that compliments it.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gents, that is very helpful feedback, all of it. I agree with all of you and hence the dilemna.

I'm also temped by the hypermotard--it might be a better compliment to a GT and good for someone focused on canyon twisties and the occasional trackday...

·
Registered
737 Posts
I personally love my GT which has become my daily ride, the commuter if you will. My 1000S is my weekend fun ride...imho, both different enough beasts to warrant keeping :D

Go get it. You know you want to ;)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
848 dude, no questions.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I got a 1098s and a GT1000. I absolutely love the GT. I can ride it all day, except the handle bar buzz gets old. Get a sport bike.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Blasphemy perhaps, but....just for fun I test rode a new Monster 696 the other day - very nice. The 696 was a bit too underpowered for me, but I would seriously consider the 1100. Maybe even a Streetfighter. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, neither is in stock here at the moment. I forgot its nice to have the feet flat on the ground at stoplights.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
never buy two similar bikes. Unless money is no object and you already have a stable full of bikes. Buy something different and enjoy a different style of riding. I have the sport, but I also have a R1200GS and a KTM. I can go anywhere with lots of luggage on the BMW, the KTM will take me deep in the woods, and the Ducati is nice on the short speed run or bike night.

·
Registered
92 Posts
never buy two similar bikes. Unless money is no object and you already have a stable full of bikes. Buy something different and enjoy a different style of riding.
+1

PW pretty much wrote exactly what I was thinking. Get something different where you can have a different kind of 2wheel experience.

·
Mr. Excitement
233 Posts
Hey, just throw logic out the window. Go with your gut! :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
OK, make that 150 + hp. Come on! You know you want it. You know you can handle it. LIVE!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Do what I did. Buy a used Super Duke. It's a beast compared to our Sport Classics. You're welcome to ride mine since you're local. See you on the top of 9 soon.

Conrad

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can't have too much of a good thing :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts