Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seat on my 96 900M is original and not so comfortable... I want to consider having the seat foam reprofiled so it doesn't tend to push the rider into the tank..And a new cover to match.
Have any of you had seat work done, and by who? thanks

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Luimoto makes nice looking seat covers for Ducatis at reasonable prices, if you want to do it yourself. Stock seat foam does wear out over time and needs replacing and I have not found a source for foam that is really dense enough for motorcycle seats. If you can find good foam you can shape it with an electric carving knife. I bought the low Ducati seat for my S4RS and am happy with it, but I don’t ride all day on it. I have paid big bucks for Corbin seats and they’re good. Different shapes are available and the foam will last forever. You do need to break them in to the shape of your butt before they’re comfortable.

·
Registered
406 Posts
seat

Motorcycle Seats - Sargent Seats - Aftermarket Motorcycle Seats reshaped the foam on my VFR's saddle and recovered it for me. I remained pleased with it until I sold that bike. They may still do custom work.

They used to make a "sport seat" for the Monster. I had one on my '97 M900. I remained pleased with it until I sold that bike.

OTOH, I tried a Sargent saddle on my 999 and found it so uncomfortable that I sold it as soon as I could.

jD

·
Registered
43 Posts
I second Luimoto. No experience with the Ducati covers, but the ones for the 2013 Triumphs are great quality. Definitely recommend having access to an air stapler if you are going to do the work yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
+1 on Sargent

I have a 2002 S4. Like you, I hated how the factory seat shoved my butt forward. I am 6'0" tall, and that made the riding position uncomfortable and less than confidence inspiring.

I tried the Sargent seat, and it is fantastic. The cover material is really nice - it lets me slide around without being too slippery. The shape allows me to move my butt back for a more comfortable riding position. And the gel foam is really nice.

A quality piece of gear, with fantastic customer support.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I had a 1993 M900, bought new. The original seat on that lasted a little over 60K miles, and then split at the seams.
I got a Corbin then, mostly because I had a new girlfriend, and the Corbin was better shaped for the passenger.
I didn't like the Corbin very much, though. Hard, and the basket weave held water, and I didn't like the shape for me.
It lasted OK, though; didn't totally fall apart until it had about 90K miles on it.
I then took the original seat to a local upholstery shop in San Diego, had them reshape the original foam and put a new cover on it.
I was very satisfied with that; it worked well, and was just starting to split at the seams at 110K miles on that seat.
I was probably going to try a Sargent next, but the bike got squashed by a hit-and-run driver in October 2017.

PhilB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whatever you do, don't use Corbin... Nightmare to deal with.

They covered my custom seat with the wrong material, claimed it was the same as the sample, and would not rectify the situation. The material they used was horrid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had I similar negative experience with Corbin lately recovering a seat for me, got it wrong the first time, argued with them for two weeks, sent it back to fix, got it back three weeks later with exactly the same issues once more.

Their firm seats do work for me, but I will have a local outfit recover their seats in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts