Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
What year do you have? I have an 02 and the seat was sloped forward and smooth. I replaced it with an 05 seat and solved the problem. The cover is "stickier" and it has a little hump where the Ducati logo is in front of the pillion. I ordered it from Bike Bandit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
andpopst4 said:
Can anyone suggest a way of reducing or stopping my pillion from sliding forward on the seat. Perhaps a non slip cover or something.
Yes, what dlboyes says. Also, even with the improved (subjective of course) '04 ST seats the pillion slides into you. Because the Ducati ST's are so sport oriented (compared to most manufacturer ST's) I've found the ways to control the pillion passenger sliding forward beyond mod’ing the bike is 1. teach the passenger how to ride pillion and 2. throttle, clutch, and brake control (i.e. smooth). As far as teaching the passenger the two things I tell them is squeeze your thighs on the bike and...eh hmm...me...to support yourself. Hold yourself up with leg and stomach muscles. Also, have them put a hand on the back of the tank (sans rings and other “scratch my paint” items) when stopping if they feel themselves sliding forward. It takes a conscientious passenger to do these things (and compliment them when they do because it does take effort on their part). Riding with a passenger will expose all flaws in your throttle, shifting, and braking. Smooth throttle and brake and matching revs when shifting goes a long long way in helping your pillion to be comfortable (and therefore you being comfortable).

Don’t mean to sound preachy. I use to hate carrying passengers (and still do with certain ones) and was a little disappointed in riding two up on my ST3. But, I found I could do a lot to improve comfort for me and my passenger by doing these things. I don’t think I’ll go cross country with a passenger but I enjoy carrying some one now for day rides.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
I have had the same problems with my wife as pillion. I bought a Crobin back rest and she loves it but it doesn't address the sliding issue. She has learned to be a better passenger, better anticipation, more leg to stay put. I had to learn to be much smoother, I thought I was smooth solo but turns out I'm not (as proven by my wife). One thing that helped alot is to begin braking with the rear brake first, this keeps the suspension from getting upset and causing that hard weight shift, also turn up your pre-load a click or two front and rear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well said by all above. I had the pillion part of my seat recovered with griptex and that helped a little bit. The pushing on the gas tank seems to overcome my ham fistedness. Good luck and keep us posted on the resolution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.