Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has any clue why Ducati has put the seat height on the 848 at 830mm? I have a MV Agusta F4 at a comfortable 790mm and a Ducati 748 which is the same.

I am 6' 2" so you'd think the additional 40mm would be good, but every time I ride the 848 it seems like I am always sliding forward.

Or maybe I should stop my whining and get used to it.

Hmmm...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
The 848 seat height is approx 10mm higher than the 1198/1098 seat height. Mostly due to the bike not having an adjustable ride height rod.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense. Rode it today for another 8 miles and I think I am getting used to it. Thanks for the explanation!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I am having the same issue. I noticed Ducati sells the adjustable rod on their web site.

Before I run out and buy it, has anyone else gotten it? I'm 5'8" so yeah I'm having some issues lol.

Thanks!

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Well...trade in your 848 and buy a 749..or..if you have a 1098, trade that in on a 999S or R !!!:)
Ducati wanted to go back to the 916-998 "stink bug" stance....arse end up..to load the front end. What you can do is buy a bar riser kit. It will get the clip on up and at a better angle. That might help a bit?....Me, I'll stick w/ my 999 w/ my Ducati Performance comfort seat, FBF bar risers and adjustable seat/peg/tank set up!:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stink Bug Stance. Nice ZDM! I will make sure not to go driving through West Hollywood before I get my Ducati Adjustable Suspension Link for $165. This seems to be the best way to go.

Thanks and Happy Riding!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That one is for RACING USE only. Not sure what that means. Other than "Don't put this on your bike if you are riding on the street"

This is the one that shows for 848:

http://www.ducati.com/shop/product.jsp?catid=cat1030157&prodid=prod1300104

I have checked the workshop manual and it looks like an easy swap.

Disassembly of the shock absorber tie-rod
Unscrew and remove the upper bolt (4) and lower bolt (17).
Remove the tie-rod assembly (14).

That is it. Nothing about supporting the wheel, frame, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Cool then! I'm ordering it right now along with a few other parts from commoto.com

Thanks!

EDIT: BTW, where did you get a copy of the factory workshop manual? I've been looking for a downloadable version I can buy...

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Stink Bug Stance. Nice ZDM! I will make sure not to go driving through West Hollywood before I get my Ducati Adjustable Suspension Link for $165. This seems to be the best way to go.

Thanks and Happy Riding!
Hey, that's what the stance of the earlier 996-998 was referred as...no kidding! Couple of cycle rags used that term when describing the stance!
Really! I think the 916-998 are the finest looking superbikes that Ducati have ever produced...only problem is you can only ride them to the mailbox and back before your neck, wrists and back are completely aggravated!:)

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
That one is for RACING USE only. Not sure what that means. Other than "Don't put this on your bike if you are riding on the street"

This is the one that shows for 848:

http://www.ducati.com/shop/product.jsp?catid=cat1030157&prodid=prod1300104

I have checked the workshop manual and it looks like an easy swap.

Disassembly of the shock absorber tie-rod
Unscrew and remove the upper bolt (4) and lower bolt (17).
Remove the tie-rod assembly (14).

That is it. Nothing about supporting the wheel, frame, etc etc etc.
You'll have to support the bike itself.....when my swingarm was switched out the tech used a stand that attached to the peg holes on each side of the bike, holding it stable there. This way the load is off the wheel, otherwise it would collapse when the shock and ride height bolts are removed. Another trick is to pass a steel rod under the subframe and holding up on either side w/ whatever works-ladder on each side or jack stands. Either way, you have to take the weight of the bike off the rear wheel and swinger.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks ZDM! I was actually scratching my head about this while I should have been paying attention on a conference call today. I was like, "What is going to keep this from collapsing on itself?"

And FYI I did google "Stink bug and Ducati" and there are a bunch of articles out there about it. I thought that I had heard it all...

The manual I think I got here:

http://ducatiservicemanuals.blogspot.com/search/label/Ducati 848

I would send you a copy but it's 85mb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts