Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like there’s always a reason to take the side panels off my bike. It’s either general maintenance, install/removal of pannier brackets or something. It’s really a fairly simple job except I have problems getting the front bolt and spacer lined up and started straight. To make matters worse, the rear shock reservoir is in the way on the right, and I have a Motobags frame bag on the left which makes that side especially tricky.

So, I came up with this easy fix and thought I’d pass it along. I bought a couple of M5x.80 x 60mm long bolts with washers and nylon locking nuts to match. The photo below shows these as well as the factory bolts (gold anodized) and the spacers.

I just cut the heads off the bolts, added a drop of Loc-tite and threaded them into the recessed nuts on the fairings.

Then, I put a little silicon on the stud to secure the spacer and let everything dry.

It makes bolting the front of the fairings on a snap. All in all, it probably only knocked a few minutes off reassembly, but it’s the little things, right? :)

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Great idea. You have no idea how many times I've bitched about the stock setup!

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Considering that the mount for the brass insert in one of mine cracked and had to be epoxied back together, I think this is a brilliant move!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Considering that the mount for the brass insert in one of mine cracked and had to be epoxied back together, I think this is a brilliant move!
I've got a broken one too. I used JB Weld and clamped it in place with wire.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Many moons ago in the days of the old ST4S.COM the owner of the site recommended this mod and it is a good one. I use wing nuts and they hold well too

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
That is a great mod. I will have my side panels off this week doing track prep- I'll do this while they are off the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts